North/South

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
I finally made it. Two years ago I made my dream flight to Alaska and landed at PABR, Point Barrow, the farthest north airport in the US. Yesterday I finally made it to Key West, the farthest south in the continental US. I'm a Florida native and have been to Key West a number of times but I have never landed here. It's simply fabulous! Flying down the island chain at low altitude is something everyone should have the chance to do.

Oh, Carol, that sounds fantastic! Good for you. Do you have more photos? Any adventures to share from along the way?

That looks like snow in the picture. They have snow in Key West??

Toby said:
Oh, Carol, that sounds fantastic! Good for you. Do you have more photos? Any adventures to share from along the way?

They probably do, but not the kind you see. :D

Mark

Carol said:
I finally made it. Two years ago I made my dream flight to Alaska and landed at PABR, Point Barrow, the farthest north airport in the US. Yesterday I finally made it to Key West, the farthest south in the continental US. I'm a Florida native and have been to Key West a number of times but I have never landed here. It's simply fabulous! Flying down the island chain at low altitude is something everyone should have the chance to do.

Congratulations Carol. Sounds like a great trip.

Mark

Neat! Except I think Hilo, HI, probably has the farthest-south airport in the US. But who's counting? It's still a grand adventure. I also have a dream to fly to Alaska, so you're way ahead of me.

Judy

judypilot said:
Neat! Except I think Hilo, HI, probably has the farthest-south airport in the US. But who's counting? It's still a grand adventure. I also have a dream to fly to Alaska, so you're way ahead of me.

Judy
She DID say "continental"! :)

Congrats, Carol!

Toby said:

Think "WARM" Toby. I think you are seeing sand :)

Thanks for posting the pic Carol. I'll be heading to Key West from Cozumel in July!! I'll keep your pic to help me identify it when coming in over the Gulf.

Dave

Mark S said:
They probably do, but not the kind you see. :D

Mark
HAHAHAHA

Toby, I have LOTS of pictures. I will sort and post some later when I get back. It's sand. I don't recall ever hearing of ice in Key West except in drinks. I could be wrong.

Today I rented a scooter (taxi fares are higher than in Manhattan) and rode around. SO MUCH fun. Parking is a booger but there are some dedicated motorcycle parking areas. I have been out since 9 this morning and am a little pooped and sunburned. Gonna snooze a while before dinner.

Judy, you are right. Continental US. Hilo is farther south but I don't think I could make it in the Comanche even with long range tanks. Others have, it's just not my cup of tea.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks for posting the pic Carol. I'll be heading to Key West from Cozumel in July!! I'll keep your pic to help me identify it when coming in over the Gulf.

Dave

I've been following your posts regarding that trip and I am so excited for you.

KEYW is a pretty busy airport. I had to do two left 360s away from the right downwind for 9 (over the water) while a few others landed. Airlines on schedules don't cha know. After the second one I found myself flying a very extended downwind so I called the tower and told him I was over the cruiseships and what did he want me to do. He finally cleared me to land behind a commuter. It's definitely a heads-up kind of place.

Can't wait to hear about your trip to Cozumel!

Carol said:
Carol, that's SO cool! You are always doing things that I hope to do some day. You give me motivation :)

I admire you so much for your solo trip to Alaska. You are one strong woman.

It looks like snow here tomorrow, so it would be nice to see more pictures of that sun and sand. :)

Carol said:
Judy, you are right. Continental US. Hilo is farther south but I don't think I could make it in the Comanche even with long range tanks. Others have, it's just not my cup of tea.

I had to wait to get home to dig out my Hawaiian Islands sectional to check. The Hilo airport is about 1 NM or so farther south than the Kona airport, and I find no airports south of them, so Hilo gets the title of the farthest south airport in the US (if you don't limit yourself to the continental US).

My wife didn't take a picture on short final to Hilo, but she did get this one after we departed to the north. Fun flying in Hawaii. Maybe again this July when we're there (just don't know which island, yet).

Steve said:
So, having gone both North and South, which do you prefer? :)

Both have their strong points.

Key West has far more options regarding entertainment, refreshment, and nourishment. Fuel was cheaper too. It's easier to get to as well. Barrow was more of a challenge, however, because of the distance and the mountains.

Pictures later. I just got back today. I was at my dad's for a few days.

Back