GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
4N1+Connie.jpg

4N1, Greenwood lake

Saturday February 20th

This month the North East Flyers will head to North Jersey for a stop at 4N1, Greenwood lake. 4N1 is home of the Champagne Lady a 1946 Constellation that has seen her share of the world and flown under many different colors. A noon time lunch gathering and some hangar flying should make for a great day of flying and dining! Come early!

Last edited:
Still plane-less (not even current in anything with a prop on it, LOL), but I might drive up for this one... not much farther than driving to 47N, anyway.

This one's non-towered. We can all come in at once in formation.:rolleyes:

Sadly, ok not really, I will be enjoying Florida sunshine!

"What're we going to do this weekend, Ted?" "The same thing we do every weekend, Pinky, go to South Carolina!"

UPDATE:

Saturday February 20th

This month the North East Flyers will head to North Jersey for a stop at 4N1, Greenwood lake. 4N1 is home of the Champagne Lady a 1946 Constellation that has seen her share of the world and flown under many different colors. A noon time lunch gathering and some hangar flying should make for a great day of flying and dining! Come early!

Name..........# Attending...................Aircraft Type....................Base
GMascelli................2.......................................C23 6708R..............................KILG
LuvFlying.................1......................................Mooney ...KD...........................44N
Mike Bennett ..........1..................................N159SP C-172sp..........................N07
Sal&Loretta.............2..................................Cardinal - N2729V.........................KHPN

Bill Rose..................2...................................Cardinal N19880..........................47N
Bob C ....................1or2.............................C172H N2609L............................ .KLOM
JuggyJet.................2 ...........................................Seneca II+...........................N07
Lou Betti.................1...................................C210...N5276C.............................KCDW

UPDATE

4N1 GREENWOOD LAKE
!MIV 02/151 4N1 AD CLSD

I just called the airport and they are still working on the runway. They hope to reopen this afternoon. I'll update on the North East Flyers home page.

Name..........# Attending...................Aircraft Type....................Base
GMascelli................3.......................................C23 6708R..............................KILG
LuvFlying.................1......................................Mooney ...KD...........................44N
Mike Bennett ..........1..................................N159SP C-172sp..........................N07
Sal&Loretta.............2..................................Cardinal - N2729V.........................KHPN

Bill Rose..................2...................................Cardinal N19880...........................47N
Bob C ....................1or2.............................C172H N2609L............................ KLOM
JuggyJet.................2 ...........................................Seneca II+.............................N07
Lou Betti.................1...................................C210...N5276C.............................KCDW
Bruce.....................1..................................... C172N5371D...........................KPOU
GRJ622...................1.....................................PA 28-161 N9163Z...................N43

I called Grenwood lake in the last few minutes to find out about ramp space and airport conditions. Everything is open, there are 36" snowbanks but the taxiway and ramp areas are clear. It looks like the patchy thin Ice NOTAM is gone so that's a good thing. I also gave the Passport Cafe' a heads up that 10 - 15 people may be attending.

Data Current as of: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:31:00 UTC
4N1 GREENWOOD LAKE
!MIV 02/133 4N1 AD 36 IN SNBNK WEF 1002112145

I just signed up on the NE Flyers page, but figured I'd mention that I'm planning to attend.

Added 3 planes and 3 people. Thanks..

GMascelli................3.......................................C23 6708R..............................KILG

Bill Rose..................2...................................Cardinal N19880...........................47N
Bob C ....................1or2.............................C172H N2609L............................ KLOM
JuggyJet.................2 ...........................................Seneca II+.............................N07
Bruce.....................1..................................... C172N5371D...........................KPOU
GRJ622...................1.....................................PA 28-161 N9163Z...................N43
Jon.....................1........................... Tiger..............................KISP
Dennis................1........................... Tiger..............................KISP
John...................1............................Cirrus.............................KISP

Mary and I will not make this event. Neither one of us feel like getting beat up with the forecast moderate turbulence for a lunch run. Winds here are 14G24, but we have multiple runways....Greenwood sounds like it could be interesting with the winds .......I think we'll climb in the SUV and drive three miles to our favorite breakfast place instead.

FLY SAFE!!!

Bruce.......................1..................................... C172N5371D...........................KPOU
GRJ622...................1.....................................PA 28-161 N9163Z.....................N43
Jon............................1....................................... Tiger....................................KISP
Dennis.....................1........................... ..............Tiger....................................KISP
John...........................1........................................Cirrus..................................KISP
AdamB.....................1....................................Trinidad TB21............................KLWM

Last edited:
Bruce.......................1..................................... C172N5371D...........................KPOU
GRJ622...................1.....................................PA 28-161 N9163Z.....................N43
Jon............................1....................................... Tiger....................................KISP
Dennis.....................1........................... ..............Tiger....................................KISP
John...........................1........................................Cirrus..................................KISP

I think I'm going to bail too, next time guys.

I think I'm going to bail too, next time guys.

Bob (luvFlying), Bill Rose, BobC JuggyJet and GRJ622 are also no'go's. Have a good day Adam, we'll catch up soon!

Mike Bennett ..........1..................................N159S P C-172sp..........................N07
Sal&Loretta.............2......................... .........Cardinal - N2729V.........................KHPN
Lou Betti.................1........................... ........C210...N5276C............................. KCDW
Bruce.......................1..................... ................ C172N5371D...........................KPOU
Jon............................1.................. ..................... Tiger....................................KISP
Dennis.....................1...................... ..... ..............Tiger............................... .....KISP
John...........................1.................. ......................Cirrus...................... ............KISP

Last edited:
When its windy, Greenwood Lake is REALLY windy. Its gusty on a still day. I've seen crazy stuff there with the wind.

When its windy, Greenwood Lake is REALLY windy. Its gusty on a still day. I've seen crazy stuff there with the wind.

Mary fell on her butt on some black ice and as sore as she is I didn't think getting beat up for lunch would be worth it. :nonod:

It would be interesting to watch the arrivals.....:yesnod:

Mary fell on her butt on some black ice and as sore as she is I didn't think getting beat up for lunch would be worth it. :nonod:

It would be interesting to watch the arrivals.....:yesnod:

IMHO sore butt or not its not worth it on a really windy day there.

I'm sitting at KBAF, figured I'd at least get a little flight in and fill up on cheap fuel.

The Islip crew ( 2 Tigers and a Cirrus ) made it to the flyin and had a great lunch.. It is a very nice restaurant and the food was very good and reasonably priced.

We meet Sal and Loretta who were there when we arrived. Then Bill in the RV7 and RottyDaddy showed up also. It was a pleasure to see everyone and we enjoyed some nice hanger flying while we ate.

The flight was smooth as glass from Islip to 4N1 at 4500 ' it did get a bit bumpy on the approach but the wind eased up over the runway. Later on we flew to Barnes KBAF at 7500' and it was also smooth at that altitude.

Attachments

• P10103011.jpg
    P10103011.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010300.jpg
    P1010300.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Re: North East Flyers-February Event (debrief)

Well, I drove in, but the wind was not too bad... the four pilots I met seemed to do just fine, although I did see an Ercoupe have to make two attempts (oddly enough :D ). To be fair, the 'coupe went around quite early on the first pass... probably just didn't look right. It was crosswindy, and changed up at one point, but I've seen (and flown in) worse there.

Good to meet you guys, and sorry we missed whoever it was that came and left early.

I took some departure snaps...

The excellent RV-7 is owned by Bill, who is a friend of (forgot already).
The others may look familiar...

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• rot022010015.JPG
    rot022010015.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 84
  • rot022010014.JPG
    rot022010014.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 83
  • rot022010013.JPG
    rot022010013.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 85
  • rot022010012.JPG
    rot022010012.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 85
  • rot02201001.JPG
    rot02201001.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 83
It was good to meet you also.. Those are great pictures ! Thanks for taking them..

Jon

Shucks! I'm sorry I missed it.

So it looks like the Connie is basically on display to walk through? I was under the impression that the restaurant seating area was in her.

Shucks! I'm sorry I missed it.

So it looks like the Connie is basically on display to walk through? I was under the impression that the restaurant seating area was in her.

No, the aircraft is sort of grafted onto the restaurant/FBO building.
The cabin, which has in the past housed a pilot shop and a flight school, is pretty much empty now, but as you can see, the preserved flight deck is open, except for a knee wall with a little door, and a sign to discourage people from going in there.
Last time I was in that plane, there was a plexi wall behind the flight deck, but a hatch you could crawl through, and I was invited to do so, and have a seat behind the controls. Pretty cool.
I'd imagine you could do so now, but it would be a good idea to ask first.

Caution..

I have no idea what the first time post by jessicalange is all about but it doesn't smell kosher.. I didnt click on the link but here is the whois info on that website.

Melissa Leonard
28039 Scott Road
D448
Murrieta, California 92563
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: DUIATTORNEYORANGECOUNTYCA.COM
Created on: 03-Nov-09
Expires on: 03-Nov-10
Last Updated on: 15-Nov-09

Administrative Contact:
Leonard, Melissa kevandmit@msn.com
28039 Scott Road
D448
Murrieta, California 92563
United States
(951) 894-8620 Fax --

Technical Contact: