North American T-28s Rock!

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Last Thursday I got to fly Joe Areda's warbird for an hour and it was a blast. For such a big airplane it's amazingly light on the controls (most of the time) and has pretty benign stall behavior. It also climbs rather well, I think we were doing over 1000 fpm at 14,000 DA and that wasn't even full power. It is kinda thirsty though, burning an average of 50 GPH even though we were attempting to keep the power low and mixture lean. I'm beginning to suspect that the real reason my hangar partner is taking so long to finish his T38 restoration is because he doesn't want to pay the fuel bills when he flies it.

Anyway, a big thanks to Joe for a lot of fun. He said he might bring it to Gaston's next year if he still has it. I suggest everyone going there convince him he needs to bring it and land at 3m0.:yes:

oh yes a T28 would be perfect at Gastons. please Joe????

sounds like fun Lance

Just don't put one in a lake... That canopy is a real B***H to open manually... You get a real sense of urgency about it with the cockpit filling with water...

Last Thursday I got to fly Joe Areda's warbird for an hour and it was a blast. For such a big airplane it's amazingly light on the controls (most of the time) and has pretty benign stall behavior.
It's a fun airplane, isn't it. :yes: Unbelievable how easy it rolls! Oh, and Joe seems to be able to fly it pretty well. :D

It also climbs rather well, I think we were doing over 1000 fpm at 14,000 DA and that wasn't even full power.
I can't remember what our rate was the day we flew. I tried to take a picture of the VSI...I think it was indicating 5000 fpm. Fun!

The only problem I had with the T28 was getting up on it. It's not designed for short people. :D

Last edited:
The guy who maintains our helicopters owns a T-28C which he keeps in the hangar next to ours. He bought it as essentially a boneyard junker and did a magnificent job of restoration.

I was flying one of the helos back from somewhere, when he came up from behind me and then did a wingover on top of me. Scared the crap outta me!

I have .7 in my log book in a T-28 and some great upside down photos. That's a flight I'll never forget!

Just don't put one in a lake... That canopy is a real B***H to open manually... You get a real sense of urgency about it with the cockpit filling with water...

Sounds like the voice of experience. I've seen/read that the T-28s were used in Laos and Cambodia during the previous unpleasantries there for ground attack.

He said he might bring it to Gaston's next year if he still has it. I suggest everyone going there convince him he needs to bring it and land at 3m0.:yes:

Just to be clear. I'm not the one you have to convince to bring it. That plane is so much cooler than I am that I'd rather fly it to anyhere pilots are going to be than ....well... anything I have a chance of flying.

I am the one you have to convince to land it on grass in a place that may get rain.

Joe

Sounds like the voice of experience. I've seen/read that the T-28s were used in Laos and Cambodia during the previous unpleasantries there for ground attack.

Fortunately, hostilities weren't involved... My boss was ferrying the bird back to TIX for restoration and I was flying GIB... The PW took a nap and we went swimming... After they fished it out, and it dried out, there was hardly any damage at all... Very tough birds...

Chip will guarantee 0% probability of rain if you bring the -28...

Just to be clear. I'm not the one you have to convince to bring it. That plane is so much cooler than I am that I'd rather fly it to anyhere pilots are going to be than ....well... anything I have a chance of flying.

I am the one you have to convince to land it on grass in a place that may get rain.

Joe

Chip will guarantee 0% probability of rain if you bring the -28...
this year Chip took such good care of us on during the 2007 Gaston's fly in that if he promises I will do almost anything. (almost!)

Joe

Joe. There is a hard surface airport pretty close to Gastons.

Joe. There is a hard surface airport pretty close to Gastons.
I know Anthony, that's where we parked the Cirrus this year. Lance says it's OK to land it on grass but I'm not convinced yet.

I do believe almost everything Lance says though and am seriously condisering it.

Joe

I 'bemember telling Lance I believed everything he said once :D.

Think I had the flu or somethin.

Best,

Dave

Unless your -28 has the "fat" nosewheel tire I wouldn't consider it.

Besides, it would give us an excuse to fly out of 3M0 to a paved runway.

I know Anthony, that's where we parked the Cirrus this year. Lance says it's OK to land it on grass but I'm not convinced yet.

I do believe almost everything Lance says though and am seriously condisering it.

Joe

Here's one in Maine (lives in Auburn-Lewiston), though pictured here when at Wiscasset.

HR

Attachments

• T-28 at Wiscasset.JPG
    T-28 at Wiscasset.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 22

Joe

It doesn't rain in Arkansas. Especially not the weekend of Gaston's. I read it has something to do with the river and the dam. :yes:

I promise...:fcross:

Back