Nor Cal to So Cal along coast...any tips?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Howdy gang...heading down to KSNA Friday from E16 South County and was thinking to take the coast down weather permitting. Any tips for heading that way?

Plan is to depart late AM, hopefully be able to pick up flight following and transition LAX Bravo on one of the VFR corridors. Been studying the sectionals, LA terminal area chart and reading up on past posts, but other than potential marine layer and restricted areas, any other pitfalls or insights to following the coastline down to enjoy the view?

Being my first venture into Southern California, looking for as much local knowledge as possible!

Last edited:
I don't normally fly the coast VFR since we're up in the flight levels but from the north expect to go direct to Huntington pier for sequencing for runway 19L/R at SNA.

There's a few restricted areas and the marine layer, nothing too crazy though, more or less a pretty and easy flight.

If you're thinking of flying low, be aware of marine sanctuaries. (2000' and below)

Also be aware that if you think 1200 feet a quarter mile off shore is pretty good - so does everyone else - keep your eyes open.

Be aware that if your engine dies along the Big Sur coast, you're going in the drink. There aren't really any emergency landing options for most of that stretch.

-Paul

Should be a gorgeous run.....SBA is beautiful......do the LAX corridor, flying over a 747 taking off is a real hoot. Actually fairly easy to do. I spent 20 years at SNA so be ready for anything......you will most likely end up on 19L the short one, and you want to be studied up and really watching out for WAKE TURBULENCE at this place. 757's are deadly. I watched a 49 year old student pilot get rolled up in a ball and stuffed right in the ground in a 152 there. He was DOA.........so watch it..................

I don't normally fly the coast VFR since we're up in the flight levels but from the north expect to go direct to Huntington pier for sequencing for runway 19L/R at SNA.

A 060 heading from the pier will get you headed in the right direction until you see the airport. If it's not busy you will probably get right traffic for 19R, if it's busy you will get "cross the tower at or above 1200 ft enter left downwind for 19L, contact tower on 119.9" pattern altitude for 19L is 850. Sometimes you will get "report right downwind for 19R" and then just before you turn they will change their mind and you get the above instructions for 19L.

I was out flying in the marine layer this morning, it cleared before 11am. I think we are supposed to get warmer over the weekend so the marine layer might go away or clear a little earlier.

Should be a gorgeous run.....SBA is beautiful......do the LAX corridor, flying over a 747 taking off is a real hoot. Actually fairly easy to do. I spent 20 years at SNA so be ready for anything......you will most likely end up on 19L the short one, and you want to be studied up and really watching out for WAKE TURBULENCE at this place. 757's are deadly. I watched a 49 year old student pilot get rolled up in a ball and stuffed right in the ground in a 152 there. He was DOA.........so watch it..................

Sometimes they hold jets on the taxiway between 19R and 19L, if you are landing on 19L check that area and stay above the jet blast.

Plan is to head down Friday with hopefully less traffic in the air along the coast and back via I-5 route Sunday to get familiar with both routes.

Any issues with Flight Following coverage along coast cruising at around 3000'?

Looking at the LA TAC, I'm thinking transitioning LAX Bravo via the Mini VFR route at 2500' so I don't have to drop from 5500' on the Coastal Route into SNA or do they let ya drop from 5500' sooner than the edge of the Bravo boundary?

Thanks for the reminder on wake turbulence @ SNA. Used to dealing with ATC and towered airports but have yet to land with the big boys.

If all goes well, I will be arriving and departing SNA in the early afternoon so hopefully marine layer will not be a factor.

Last edited:
Plan is to head down Friday with hopefully less traffic in the air along the coast and back via I-5 route Sunday to get familiar with both routes.

Any issues with Flight Following coverage along coast cruising at around 3000'?

Looking at the LA TAC, I'm thinking transitioning LAX Bravo via the Mini VFR route at 2500' so I don't have to drop from 5500' on the Coastal Route into SNA or do they let ya drop from 5500' sooner than the edge of the Bravo boundary?

Thanks for the reminder on wake turbulence @ SNA. Used to dealing with ATC and towered airports but have yet to land with the big boys.

If all goes well, I will be arriving and departing SNA in the early afternoon so hopefully marine layer will not be a factor.

I have to start by saying I have never used any of the VFR routes through LAX but the Mini route says "LAX must be in a west traffic or over-ocean configuration". Landing over the ocean isn't going to be happening unless there is a Santa Ana blowing. I can't figure out if that statement is saying west traffic is the same as over-ocean or they are 2 different things.

Also when you come out on the south side you will be going through the practice area for LGB, I would rather be at 5500 ("Shoreline Route") then 2500. You don't have to be at any special altitude when you get to the pier so you have about 15nm to get from 5500 to TPA at SNA.

The marine layer tops are usually at 2000 or so. Will be a little thicker tomorrow am -

Be sure if you are on top of the deck - the VFR clearance mins are 1000 over - keep that in mind.

Not sure why you don't simply take the corridor over LAX - its 3500 and then a 140 heading to SNA - SoCal will handle you just fine . .

If you're thinking of flying low, be aware of marine sanctuaries. (2000' and below)

Also watch for condors.

If fog, consider SLO valley option.

I've always done the LA Bravo transition. Works. I hear VFR can be a cluster.

Bakersfield route is boring, but try Harris Ranch and see if it's all that.

Bakersfield route is boring, but try Harris Ranch and see if it's all that.

Ahh, Harris Ranch. The only airport in California that has an olfactory final approach fix. Enter the pattern from the pile of s**t, pass the numbers, and fly toward the smell.

Back