Nook

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
The Nook by Barnes and Noble (a kindle competitor)

Well, B&N just released their new device. It's intended to be a "kindle killer". It looks pretty dang cool, especially the touch screen. If we can get the same kind plate functionality out of this as with the Kindle it should be an interesting year in the world of electronic charts.

Thoughts?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

Last edited:
Jason I just got that email from B & N and I was wondering that about the chart functionality myself. Could be very ineteresing. How does the price compare to the Kindle?

Edit: Nook is $259 and Kindle is $279 as of today on the repective sites.

Last edited:
discussion on Red was that the screen is probably too small to be useable for approach plates.

discussion on Red was that the screen is probably too small to be useable for approach plates.

Interesting. The comparison says that they both have a 6" (diagonal) screen. I wonder where they're getting that information.

Interesting. The comparison says that they both have a 6" (diagonal) screen. I wonder where they're getting that information.

i think that everyone who is using the kindle for approach plates is using the DX model which has a bit over 9" diagonal screen size.

I get that sort of functionality from my tablet PC with approach plates (touch screen, etc.). It's about as readable as a standard approach plate.

I think I read it the specs that it is only 3.5in wide.

It says you can download your own pdf files.. I'll be looking for the report from pdfplates on how it works.

The question I have with all of these systems is how do you transfer your library to the *next* device. Say you upgrade every 5 years and there are certain titles you must have in your library. Will you be able to transfer "Fate is the Hunter" to the next device, or are you gonna have to buy the electronic version again every time you upgrade to the next version of the device?

And heaven help the user whose device manufacturer goes tango uniform. I can forsee a situation where you have a multi-thousand dollar library that essentially goes away because the manufacturer of your reader (or family of readers) goes out of business and there is no replacement device that can accept the book format you're aligned with.

The question I have with all of these systems is how do you transfer your library to the *next* device. Say you upgrade every 5 years and there are certain titles you must have in your library. Will you be able to transfer "Fate is the Hunter" to the next device, or are you gonna have to buy the electronic version again every time you upgrade to the next version of the device?

And heaven help the user whose device manufacturer goes tango uniform. I can forsee a situation where you have a multi-thousand dollar library that essentially goes away because the manufacturer of your reader (or family of readers) goes out of business and there is no replacement device that can accept the book format you're aligned with.

Yup. I'm not (cough) sold on these devices.

Pick your file formats carefully.
Purchase open standard, non-proprietary formats, and you're OK. I avoid the Kindle because of Amazon's proprietary format, and avoid Sony's bookstore because of their locked down format.

That's what I actually like about the Nook, and to a lesser extent the Sony, that they support the open standards.
Not at all with the Kindle, which doesn't.

Somebody tells me the purpose of the keyboard at the bottom of the Kindle is it provides some basic web browsing capabilities--is that true (checking email, POA, etc.)? If it does, does the Nook, with it's WiFi / 3G ability, provide any web access?

Back