Non Windmilling Prop

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Came across this on YouTube. First off, love that the pilot waits until the end to curse.. but was surprised to see the prop completely stopped!

Came across this on YouTube. First off, love that the pilot waits until the end to curse.. but was surprised to see the prop completely stopped!

Less drag with a prop that's not windmilling. Looks like an excellent emergency landing.

I absolutely love the fact that they curse in flawless English. Lmao.
Many languages don't have nearly as satisfying curse words as we do in English. Spanish has some good ones. German, not so much. Calling someone a pig dog just doesn't do much for me.

My guess is loss of oil pressure or some sort of mechanical breakdown inside the engine that caused it to seize.

At the end of the video the pilot seemed to indicate that he knew taking it up flying was a bad idea

I did wonder about the windmilling prop. I guess it makes sense that a stationary prop is technically stalling so will have less drag than a rotating one

A long time ago though someone at POA mentioned that if you have an engine failure and windmilling prop leaving the throttle wide open will put slightly less drag on the engine. I guess it makes sense but my fear would be the sudden come back to life when you're about to land

Not sure if anyone else got this, but one of the suggested videos after that one was an Inside Edition video of an emergency landing. For the life of me I can't figure out why this one made Inside Edition when most successful emergency highway landings barely get a mention on the local news....

Just looked up a picture of aircraft type, "Super Bingo" - have never heard of one before. Certainly one goofy looking little plane!

upload_2017-4-26_19-57-1.png

Not sure if anyone else got this, but one of the suggested videos after that one was an Inside Edition video of an emergency landing. For the life of me I can't figure out why this one made Inside Edition when most successful emergency highway landings barely get a mention on the local news....

Couldn't be that the student pilot was a babe, nah, that's not it... ;)

Couldn't be that the student pilot was a babe, nah, that's not it... ;)

There's no chance they'd cheapen their journalistic integrity like that. Having said that, upon review of the YouTube comments on that video, before setting out to become this generation's greatest aviatrix she worked in a very different industry if you catch my drift.

I love the part where "she had to make a spilt second decision" upon realizing they had engine trouble. Should she, or should she not ask her instructor what he's going to do to remedy the situation?! My guess is that he was less fortunate looking and therefore not worthy of Inside Edition's attention.

Last edited:
Are y'all subscribed to some obsolete video channel? This video made its rounds a long time ago and it seems that somebody dug it out again and it is making rounds for the second time.

Are y'all subscribed to some obsolete video channel? This video made its rounds a long time ago and it seems that somebody dug it out again and it is making rounds for the second time.
Ha! That somebody was me. I have to be honest, I did see this pop up in my video feed a couple weeks ago but that freeze frame of the dude's face didn't make for very good clickbait so I didn't bother with it. Plus there are a lot of gratuitous "I survived a plane crash!" videos out there so I wasn't interested. It then popped up yesterday on Jalopnik with the description and transcript that I read and got me interested in the video itself

They all go around forever. This particular one, amazingly I hadn't seen.

Numerous times a year non-aviation FB friends post some old video to my wall or tag me on it. I don't mind. I just chuckle and say, "An oldie but a goodie."

And of course there's the fakes. Those go around and around faster.

I absolutely love the fact that they curse in flawless English. Lmao.
What always cracks me up is when a Lebanese friend of mine is on the phone to his wife I hear a mix of Arabic, French, and English (sometimes all in the same sentence) (without the curse words).

Back