Non turbo Lance 6/300 pilots....get in here! Speed question.

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I'm on the fence between a V35B and a Lance or 6/300. What I am really having a hard time with is actual cruise speeds "real" pilots are getting, not book speeds. If I end up going 6/300, it's only going to be because an exceptional plane dropped in my lap, so I want to keep that option open.

As for the Bo, I'd really love to see the cruise speeds, but the aft CG issues have me scared. I'm not going to discount it just yet, but every time I start to look hard, I keep coming back to the Lance. Maybe this is out of ignorance of the issues, but I haven't been able to really understand if the Bo would work for us.

Need 5 seats with at least 320lbs in the back seats. Lance is a Nonissue from my research. But what I am giving up is some serious speed for that flexibility.

So what's the scoop? What real cruise speeds are you seeing fire walled and Econ cruise?

Skip the Bo (Bo owner here)....you ain't gonna get 5 in a V35B and go anywheres. Buy one after the kids are grown and gone.

For now, that Lance is gonna do everything you want....and you won't miss the speed. 155-160 kts and 18 gph is what you'll see.

The non-turbo'd Bo is gonna be 10-15 kts faster....but, I doubt you'd even notice cept for bragging rights.

My cherokee 6-300 fixed-gear had every speed mod except the lopresti cowl. They worked, the mods gave it 7-8 knots improvement. That got it up to the wildly optimistic book speed of 145ktas

Flown both V35B and Lance a lot, a little time in a 6. Bo is faster and a lot of fun to fly, but as Checkout says, you can't put 5 and bags in it without getting into an aft CG problem. For your needs I vote for the Lance, or the 6 if you don't want to mess with a retract. IMO only.

Do not fly a Lance, but do fly a Saratoga SP. Will carry 6 (useful load is just shy of 1300), with some bags if you leave 30 gallons or so behind (still leaves you 70). Will cruise high 150's with ease, at about 14.5 GPH once leaned out.

Fly 77 lance. Flies 145 kts on 14 gal. CG is not an issue. Last flight was 94 gal of fuel, 340# in front seats, 35 # baggage on middle seats, 280# of passengers in rear seats, 50# in front storage, 70# in rear storage. Still had 84# to spare. Could obviously load less fuel and more load (but fuel is a partnership / planning issue). The Bo might be more glamorous, but to carry what I live with, the Lance is great.

Cough, cough, skywagon ;)

Maybe when the kids are gone and I hit my (next) midlife crisis, I will get something small and fast. For now, I'll stick with the suburban. Goes along with the old 4 door truck.

Maybe when the kids are gone and I hit my (next) midlife crisis, I will get something small and fast(22y/o blonde) For now, I'll stick with the suburban(wife). Goes along with the old 4 door truck (You) .

Fixed that for you....

Cough, cough, skywagon ;)

You see the recent article about Cessna/Textron starting to abandon legacy owners? It was either in flying or AOPAs mag. Both are on top of the throne in my house. More or less it said they are just not making parts anymore. And the parts they are making are so through the roof owners are wearing out bone yards. And they are running out of parts now.

Not sure I'd want to step into an older Cessna 6 place at this point.

You see the recent article about Cessna/Textron starting to abandon legacy owners? It was either in flying or AOPAs mag. Both are on top of the throne in my house. More or less it said they are just not making parts anymore. And the parts they are making are so through the roof owners are wearing out bone yards. And they are running out of parts now.

Not sure I'd want to step into an older Cessna 6 place at this point.

Ted and his 310 are not going to be happy to hear that...:(

Supply and demand, there are just too many Cessnas out there to be abandoned, too many potential customers and too much money

Back