Non-RNAV?

Art Master

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Art Master
I know what RNAV means. "Area Navigation" using VOR/NDB/GPS/ILS etc.

I also know the difference between VFR and IFR. But...

What does the term "Non-RNAV" mean?:mad2:

Eg. Creating a flight plan using FltPlan.com.

Three options:

1. IFR (ICAO format) required for all non-USA and all RNAV flight plans.

2. IFR (Domestic format) For USA, non-RNAV flight plans.:dunno:

3. VFR

Thx in advance.

IIRC, NDB's are not considered RNAV. Only VOR and GPS. So NDB's, dead reckoning, and perhaps even vectoring are "non-RNAV"

IIRC, NDB's are not considered RNAV. Only VOR and GPS. So NDB's, dead reckoning, and perhaps even vectoring are "non-RNAV"

VOR's are not RNAV either, in themselves, although there are area navigation systems that will use VOR/DME signals. Also INS and Loran are RNAV as well.

I'll take a guess. RNAV SID's and STAR's are reserved for turbo jet aircraft (have minimum speeds and climb rates). If you ask for one in a flight plan you must be able to comply. You request these procedures using a ICAO flight plan. Piston pilots need not apply for RNAV. You can request non rnav procedures ( all the others) if you wish.

You shouldn't base your flight plan filing based on trying to interpret what some site puts on their (fairly horrid) user interface and people's guesswork as to what that means.

The rule is here:

he FAA prefers users to file ICAO format flight plans for all flights. An ICAO format flight plan MUST be used when:
The flight will enter international airspace, including oceanic airspace controlled by FAA facilities.
The flight expects routing or separation based on Performance Based Navigation (PBN), e.g. RNAV 1.
The flight will enter RVSM airspace.
The flight expects services based on ADS-B.
Just because you are using a GPS or an old VOR-DME RNAV doesn't mean you need an ICAO plan.

VOR's are not RNAV either, in themselves, although there are area navigation systems that will use VOR/DME signals. Also INS and Loran are RNAV as well.
like a course line computer.
I've never seen one, but read about them, lol

like a course line computer.
I've never seen one, but read about them, lol
About 10 years ago I flew a plane that had a rho-theta RNAV system, the KNS-81. It was a neat little system in its day, the only downside being the installation wasn't approved for IFR ops.

Back