Non Rated Pilots

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
While looking over the ASF database, I found a few entries where there were no rated pilots on board the accident aircraft. This along with the 14 yr old who stole the plane recently, have me wondering....How many planes out there are being flown by non rated pilots? :dunno:
This incident sounds like fuel exhaustion, Seems like they knew how to fly, just not how to add fuel. My training drilled into me the importance of preflight and planning for fuel etc.. Do you think these guys were 1)just joy riding with no experience 2)maybe held an expired certificate, or 3)students.
the only explanation that makes any sense would be 1. No experience or training.
I guess this is just one way the universe keeps in balance, by weeding out the idiots.

Link Here.

Michael

I thought I heard the FAA had a goal of getting 60% of the pilots in Alaska certificated.

Jeff

There are more than you will believe. Several years ago an FAA agent ramped a gentlemen at a MO airport and found he had a student license from the 60's. He owned his own plane and told the agent he had been flying for almost 40 years and did'nt need a piece of paper telling him it was OK.. The agent took his student license and told him not to fly the plane out. The plane left a few minutes later with his 16 year old grandson flying.

Dean said:
There are more than you will believe. Several years ago an FAA agent ramped a gentlemen at a MO airport and found he had a student license from the 60's. He owned his own plane and told the agent he had been flying for almost 40 years and did'nt need a piece of paper telling him it was OK.. The agent took his student license and told him not to fly the plane out. The plane left a few minutes later with his 16 year old grandson flying.

While I'm certainly not supporting flying without proper certification, I'm curious why the ramp agent siezed the student license.... I don't think he has the legal authority to sieze licences, expired or not, does he?

Joe Williams said:
While I'm certainly not supporting flying without proper certification, I'm curious why the ramp agent siezed the student license.... I don't think he has the legal authority to sieze licences, expired or not, does he?

Wasn't a ramp agent. Was an FAA agent at the ramp.

N2212R said:
Wasn't a ramp agent. Was an FAA agent at the ramp.

Yes, I understood that. However, I do not believe FAA agents have the authority to sieze licences... only the administrator.

There are probably the same % of pilots flying without licenses are drivers of cars. Afterall, you don't need a license until you get caught.

Joe Williams said:
Yes, I understood that. However, I do not believe FAA agents have the authority to sieze licences... only the administrator.

I believe the administrator grants powers to underlings...probably along the lines of a Sherriff / Deputy chain of command.

14 CFR 1.1
Administrator means the Federal Aviation Administrator or any person to whom he has delegated his authority in the matter concerned.

14 CFR 13.19
(b) If, as a result of such a reinspection re-examination, or other investigation made by the Administrator under section 609 of the FA Act, the Administrator determines that the public interest and safety in air commerce requires it, the Administrator may issue an order amending, suspending, or revoking, all or part of any type certificate, production certificate, airworthiness certificate, airman certificate, air carrier operating certificate, air navigation facility certificate, or air agency certificate. This authority may be exercised for remedial purposes in cases involving the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.) or regulations issued under that Act. This authority is also exercised by the Chief Counsel, the Assistant Chief Counsel, Enforcement, the Assistant Chief Counsel, Regulations, the Assistant Chief Counsel, Europe, Africa, and Middle East Area Office, each Regional Counsel, and the Aeronautical Center Counsel. If the Administrator finds that any aircraft registered under Part 47 of this chapter is ineligible for registration or if the holder of a Certificate of Aircraft Registration has refused or failed to submit AC Form 8050–73, as required by §47.51 of this chapter, the Administrator issues an order suspending or revoking that certificate. This authority as to aircraft found ineligible for registration is also exercised by each Regional Counsel, the Aeronautical Center Counsel, and the Assistant Chief Counsel, Europe, Africa, and Middle East Area Office.

Last edited:
silver-eagle said:
There are probably the same % of pilots flying without licenses are drivers of cars. Afterall, you don't need a license until you get caught.

Jeez, I hope not. In my line of work, you start to realize how many people drive without licenses or with suspended licenses. I am not sure there are actually that many people who DO have licenses.

You know, driving is a right in this country, not a priviledge, no matter what we are taught in driver's ed.

Jim G

Joe Williams said:
Joe is correct -- if the inspector actually seized the certificate, the inspector exceeded his authority. On the other hand, there wasn't much point in that since the certificate had been expired for about 40 years and was essentially worthless. The only way an on-the-spot seizure can be made is if the certificate is currently subject to an order of suspension or revocation, or if it's done by a law enforcement officer pursuant to a criminal charge, in which case the certificate could be seized as evidence.

Last edited:
I've heard plenty of stories about unlicensed pilots. Often the individual lost his medical but didn't want to stop flying. In other cases, the individual, like the case cited, started training but never finished and flies his own plane. And there are legions of stories about this out of Alaska. I have no doubt that many, if not most, of these are true. It's a problem for all of us since there aren't enough FAA inspectors to check us all, and each of us pays for any adverse events caused by unlicensed pilots in both the hostility of the public and additional rules and regulations aimed to weed out such law-breakers. While it may be tough to do, we have to suck it up and report to the proper authorities anyone flying illegally, as it's our flying priviliges these knuckleheads are putting at risk.

Sometimes it's a case of someone flying an ultralight that wasn't legaly an ultralight. Check the NTSB's for a registration of NONE.

Back