Non Polarized sunglasses glass cockpit

sterlingmossy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sterlingmossy
Hi everybody, I am a student pilot and just soloed for the first time last week, what a great feeling, it is good to meet you all.

I tried searching for the answer to my question without luck so I wonder if somebody can help. I bought a pair of non-polarized Randolph sunglasses (grey) for flying but am having a really hard time with them on cross country flights. I have a hard time reading the g1000 screen with them on and also the maps/logs on my lap.

I was looking at the Serengeti driver gradient sunglasses as a solution http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/ge...rengeti-lens-technology-ideal-for-pilots.aspx. They seem like they are darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. Has anybody else had this issue? Any experience with the driver gradient lenses or other suggestions?

Any help much appreciated.

My Prada sunglasses were pretty damn good with the G1000 in the C172SP I originally started flying, as well as my Diamond with a G500 setup. They were one of the smaller aviators with carbon accents.

Gradient sunglasses solve 90% of the problems you describe. Bought el cheapos at first, but eventually got my Serengeti's on Amazon "Used-like new" for half price.

You sure you didn't get a polarized pair? Turn your head sideways. Does it get better or worse?

If the view changes, they are polarized. Meaning if it gets better or the screens go black when you tilt your head, they are polarized.

Thats interesting, it's usually polarized sunglasses that cause a problem when looking at screens, not non-polarized.

Thats interesting, it's usually polarized sunglasses that cause a problem when looking at screens, not non-polarized.
Unless they're just too dark, I've ordered sunglasses online before and had to send them back when I couldn't even see well in full sun. Maybe a defect?

Unless they're just too dark, I've ordered sunglasses online before and had to send them back when I couldn't even see well in full sun. Maybe a defect?
Could be, just a standard pair of Ray-Bans work for me

Sounds like they are polarized, but like Unit 74 said, just tilt your head and see if it changes. I can't imagine any non-polarized glasses being too dark to see the G-1000 even at night! Congrats on the solo too!!!

Sounds like your Randolph are polarized, check em'

Sounds like they are polarized, but like Unit 74 said, just tilt your head and see if it changes. I can't imagine any non-polarized glasses being too dark to see the G-1000 even at night! Congrats on the solo too!!!

I recall some hard core boating folks buying ray bans with "super dark" lens, or I think that's what they were called.

I recall some hard core boating folks buying ray bans with "super dark" lens, or I think that's what they were called.
Wouldn't they be polarized too? I know the guys we fish with all use polarized glasses.

Not sure, but they were more for looking off the bridge than fishing.

Back