Non-pilot owner insurance question

Ryan Mueller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rmueller23
Doing some research for a friend of the family...

Gentleman in his early 80s, owns a light-sport vintage aircraft. Initially had wanted to pursue his sport pilot ticket, but a medical issue will prevent that from happening. He has been flying with a CFI friend for a few years now, and that person is amenable to continuing with this arrangement for the remainder of the time our friend may want to continue to own the the airplane. They fly around locally and shoot landings, that's about the extent of what our friend wants to do with his CFI. I have been told that our friend's insurer--I do not yet know which company--no longer wants to cover him because he has not earned his license after X amount of years of being a student. I'm trying to get an idea of what his options may be, or possibly how best to describe the desired insured arrangement to an insurer to help him find coverage.

Are there particular insurers or styles of policies that would cover--for lack of a better term--a perpetual student pilot in their own airplane taking dual instruction from a CFI?

If the lack of earning the license after a period of time is going to be the sticking point, would there be a style of coverage/policy where the non-pilot owner could specify his CFI friend as the primary named pilot, in lieu of the owner/operator being a covered pilot on the policy?

If bringing up the word "instruction" in the scenario is problematic for insurer's, would there more advantageous way to describe/arrange it--e.g. the non-pilot owner wants someone to fly his airplane for him, he will just be a passenger and not taking instruction as a student pilot. They'll sort themselves out to ensure they are operating legally, I'm mainly concerned with how to help him find/maintain insurance coverage.

I appreciate any guidance or direction that may be offered. Thanks,

-Ryan

Named pilot clause policy with only the CFI on it. As long as the CFI is not logging as dual given it should work.

Named pilot clause policy with only the CFI on it. As long as the CFI is not logging as dual given it should work.
Thanks Robin. It turned out the gentleman previously had AVEMCO, they claimed they wouldn't issue a policy with a non-owner named pilot. I didn't get a clear answer about whether that was a blanket rule, or because of his prior status. Regardless, after calling around a bit we ended up finding him a policy through Falcon, via their EAA aircraft insurance affiliation. Thanks again

Back