Non-Owners Insurance

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Non-Owner Insurance. If you buy a Non-Owner Insurance policy it covers you in the event of a accident that is your fault. This coverage is for something you did to cause the accident and not for something caused by a engine falure or brake falure or something not your fault. If the fault of the accident is determined to be other than you the owner is on his own as your non-owner insurance will not cover him it is only ment to cover you. As an owner your insurance should cover lending out your aircraft but should that person not have the time in make and model total time requirements or whatever you might want to take a second look at that Non-Owner Insurance policy. Before you hand over the keys to your friend or you lend out your plane to someone with Non-Owner Insurance you should make sure you understand what the insurance covers.
icon11.gif

Last edited:
I carry it... only ten grand in coverage but that covers the deductible for coverage under my flying club. And, should I happen to ding something during taxi I have some cushion as well. It's a cheap insurance if you fly a lot. In my case, it relieves me of a $3/hr insurance charge when I'm without a CFI. It pays for itself in the end.

I'm having a great deal of trouble understanding the orignal post.

Non-owned aircraft insurance is not purchased by the owner, it is purchased by the pilot who's going to fly an airplane he doesn't own. The only person covered by the borrower's non-owned aircraft policy is the borrowing pilot who's flying the plane, not the aircraft owner. Barring intentional conduct by the borrower, it doesn't matter why the damage occurred -- the non-owner pilot is covered by his non-owned aircraft policy.

As for the owner, the only policy that matters is the owner's own policy. Allowing a pilot who doesn't meet the owner's policy's OPW requirements to borrow the plane voids the the owner's policy in its entirety, forcing the owner to hire a lawyer and sue the borrower for any damage to the airplane (which the borrower's polciy then covers, although the owner's lawyer will take 35% or so of the recovered money), but provides no liability coverage for the owner at all (regardless of whether the borrower has non-owned insurance or not) if a third party injured by the event sues both the borrowing pilot and the owner -- the owner is then entirely on his own.

Therefore, letting someone who doesn't meet your OPW requirements borrow your plane is a serious risk even if the borrower does have a valid non-owned aircraft policy.

Back