Non-existant Skype button throwing off webpage formatting

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Howdy,

per the instructions in this specific sub-forum, I am submitting a report of problem.
Some members' posts show a Skype contact button under their avatar but since the URL for the image is dead (verified that it is not my DNS, ISP or whatever via isitdownrightnow.com etc). The alternate for the non-existant image is a wide rectangle to accommodate the alt text which increases the avatar column width beyond its default setting. That disrupts the flow of the posts on the webpage.

This is not a high-priority problem but it would be nice to either ban the broken Skype picture links or at least remove the Alt text to not disrupt the flow of the posts.

Illustration in an attachment below.

Thanks
Lou

Attachments

• Attachment.jpg
    Attachment.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 28
Skype's "click-to-call" feature is something that you can download and install on your computer, and then it watches as you browse the web for what it thinks are phone numbers and replaces them on-the-fly with a button you can click to make a call from your Skype account on your computer.

In other words, the behavior you are seeing is caused by software installed on your computer, not anything that the PoA forum software can control.

Reference:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA801/what-is-skype-click-to-call
http://community.skype.com/t5/Other...Remove-the-Click-and-Call-Function/td-p/69602

If the URL is dead, that's not the viewer's fault. Also, if as you say the viewer needs to install additional add-ons over and above HTML protocol to avoid disruption of the page, it's not the viewer's fault, its a design flaw of the page.

Agree with OP its on the level of 'would be nice if this were fixed' (i.e., fairly low) priority.

Jim, I just checked, I see the broken image on computer with NO SW installed, i.e. browser only. Whether Win, iOS or other. And as DJ pointed out, broken images are the responsibility of the webpage administration, not the viewers.

From the VB link you posted, "mystatus.skype.com has been shut down permanently". What would be the correct solution here? Can you (admins) shut off the Skype buttons for all users altogether or do users have to remove their Skype contact info from their profiles?
Though from my old days of VB administration, I believe you have the option of fixing the php template to update the link to the button or remove the button completely.
Maybe I can help, feel free to PM me.

Regards
Lou

It's on the list of things to do. More info will be forthcoming.

It's on the list of things to do. More info will be forthcoming.

God, please tell me you guys aren't going to switch platforms...

Much as I hate vBulletin, I really don't want to deal with a new forum software, and the learning curve/growing pains that comes with it....even if POA is getting stale, it still works...

Back