Non aviation topic going back to college

BTW I'm pumped up about this and can't wait to get started.

A few years ago I was thinking about going back to school for a Doctorate in Business Administration. Even with my company chipping in it was still going to be about $100k out of pocket. Discussing the utility of the degree over dinner with my wife one evening she suggested I take flying lessons instead. I agreed that I would get more out of learning how to fly given my lifelong interest in anything that flys.

So here we are 2 years later extremely happy I'm flying instead of working a dissertation.

Sounds like a great deal as long as they still don't want you working 16hr days on top of it.

I keep thinking about going back to school (even at 50+) for a couple reasons. But I haven't figured out how to get my employer to pay for it.

Okie but we can't call you DR okie.

I doubt I would of even gone by "Doctor"... seems like a pompous thing to do with a Doctorate in Business. I don't even go by "Mister".

I still contemplate pursuing the DBA again and who knows it may be something I do in the future. But it's hard to wrap your head around the benefits especially in relation to the time commitment and stress to my life it would add. If I wanted to go into academics or research then it would be a different story.

For now would rather focus on family, career and flying.

I think you will find the experience refreshing. I was a college dropout at the age of 19. Joined the Navy and got 6 years of discipline under my belt. Got married and had a kid... and went back to school in my late 20s (feels like forever ago) and did much better. Then later in my mid-30s did a masters program online. My profession is that of an educator. I teach high school and sometimes adjunct for colleges or universities. Some classes you can take online easily, others you really ought to have face time. As a math teacher, my experience is that online self-learning is NOT the way to go.

I tried community college right out of high school..hated it. Dropped out and worked for a few years, then went back to college and got my Bachelor's in Business. Did the same thing again for my masters, did it right after my BA and stopped, then picked it up like 5 years later and finished.

There is no right or wrong way to get your degree in my opinion. However I will definitely agree with woodchucker that online self paced learning is NOT the way to go.

For my MBA I could have done it online, but I chose to attend in person classes because I wanted to be able to ask the professor questions face to face and really be "in the class". Taking online classes is harder. You're at home in your area of comfort and unless you actually lock your door and/or isolate yourself during class real-life can ruin the experience and the learning process.

Block off the time and it'll be that much better.

Definitely try to go in person though if at all possible, the experience is MUCH different and in my opinion...better.

I'm in a position now at my company I'm no longer pulling the all nighters fixing servers or whatever. I have been told by my boss that my job is to deligate everything and manage people not networks. This is a big career change for me. The recent 31hr weekend server buildout will be the last of the long hours for me.

Don't worry. Someone will go on vacation or quit and you'll be filling in. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back