[non-aviation] Reloading data for the .303 Savage

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
Does anyone have an older reloading manual that includes reloading .303 Savage?

The new Speer Reloading Manual #14 and Lyman Reloading Manual #49 do not include any data on the .303 Savage.

Thanks
Bob

I have the latest "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee, and it has a section on the 303 Savage. Drop me a PM if I can help.

The 303 British cartridge is bigger than the 303 Savage, e.g., a larger diameter and the rim to neck distance is ~25% longer.

I'm new to reloading, but it seems to me that using a 303 British load could result in too big a load of powder in the .303 Savage. Am I overlooking something?

we were talking about the British 303 loading data

no, we weren't. We were discussing 303 Savage. You are very confused about the subject cartridge. Please stop giving bad information. The info you are giving is for the 300 Savage.

Last edited:
the cartridge is very different, but the loadings are close enough to work. in the lighter bullets. I have the data for both right here and the brit uses about 2 grains less powder than the savage.

By the way, the savage is closer to the 30:06 factory loads than the brit 303.

Why did you post the data for the British if you had the Savage data (post #5)?

Why did you post the data for the British if you had the Savage data (post #5)?

Because I mis-read the first question.

So, I have deleted my previous posts and will let you experts figure it out.

My confusion came because all my re-loading manuals have the data for the savage, but only one has the data for the British 303.

The new 5th edition of the Hornady "Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading" has both also. This book is in most book stores now.

so here is the Savage info

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Scan 3.jpeg
    Scan 3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Scan 4.jpeg
    Scan 4.jpeg
    961.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Tom-

I think the pages you posted were for a Savage .300?

How similar is this data to a .303 Savage? Is it the same loading for the two rounds?

Last edited:
Tom-

I think the pages you posted were for a Savage .300?

yep I put it as a comparison to the 303 brit.

How similar is this data to a .303 Savage? Is it the same loading for the two rounds?

no it isn't even close.

Yes, do not use .303 British data to load the .303 Savage. You will blow up the gun. As someone else said, the Savage load is for a lever gun, and more similar to a 30-30 load than .303 British. The .303 British is closer to a .30-06 load, but not quite as high a pressure.

I reload for .303 British for my Enfields. Different class of cartridge than either the .303 Savage, and .30-30.

Last edited:
Yes, do not use .303 British data to load the .303 Savage. You will blow up the gun. As someone else said, the Savage load is for a lever gun, and more similar to a 30-30 load than .303 British. The .303 British is closer to a .30-06load, but not quite as high a pressure.

I reload for .303 British for my Enfields. Different class of cartridge than either the .303 Savage, and .30-30.

right.

Rest assured that I know the difference between the .303 British and .303 Savage rounds. It's been a real ***** to find sources for .303 Savage brass so that I can reload. And to add to the fun, a lot of places won't ship anything related to reloading to us poor sods in Massachusetts, even unprimed unloaded brass or reloading dies.

And to add to the fun, a lot of places won't ship anything related to reloading to us poor sods in Massachusetts, even unprimed unloaded brass or reloading dies.

Seriously??? I knew Mass gun laws are extremely restricitve for legal ownership, and carry, but didn't realize they restricted cartridge reloading components. Heck, many hunters I know, including myself, reload to get the maximum potential from the cartridge, and tailor it to get the most accurate load for the rifle/pistol.

Can you have a friend/releative take delivery in another state and ship them to you, or is that illegal?

Seriously??? I knew Mass gun laws are extremely restricitve for legal ownership, and carry, but didn't realize they restricted cartridge reloading components. Heck, many hunters I know, including myself, reload to get the maximum potential from the cartridge, and tailor it to get the most accurate load for the rifle/pistol.

Can you have a friend/releative take delivery in another state and ship them to you, or is that illegal?

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. It is perfectly legal to ship all that stuff to massachusetts residents (note that IANAL), heck it's legal to ship loaded rounds to MA residents. But the companies refuse to deal with the threat of legal action if somehow they make the slightest mistake. Which isn't unreasonable - expecting all companies to understand 50 different state regulations is a bit much. So some companies (not all, some) don't ship anything even remotely related to reloading. I suspect that there are some anti-gun nuts in the AG office that threaten companies.

There are methods available, such as shipping to a dealer or taking possession in a different state. Fortunately MA is small, imagine doing that dance in CA, TX, or AK.

Thanks for the clarification Bob. I've read up a bit on .303 Savage, and seems like there are some good, easy options for reforming/cutting brass to use in reloading.

I have a couple of oddballs I reload for. Both are French. :rolleyes:

7.5MM French which is very similar to .308 for a MAS 49/56 (semi-auto battle rifle) which I use 6.5MM Swedish Mauser brass and cut it one MM and resize the neck. The other is 7.65MM French (.32 French Long) for a SACM 1935A semi-auto pistol. It's a lot of fun resurrecting these old cartridges. Good luck!

right.

Rest assured that I know the difference between the .303 British and .303 Savage rounds. It's been a real ***** to find sources for .303 Savage brass so that I can reload. And to add to the fun, a lot of places won't ship anything related to reloading to us poor sods in Massachusetts, even unprimed unloaded brass or reloading dies.

Have you read this?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/303_savage.htm

Have you tried these guys ?

Yep, Grafs won't ship to Massachusetts folks, even reloading dies. What a PITA. But Titan Reloading seems like a great source for Lee reloading equipment.

I did find sources for the PVRI brass as well as Norma brass. Buffalo Arms has some Jamison Intl brass that I'm going to try out.

One difference between the PVRI brass and the Norma brass is that it appears that PVRI anneals the neck.

Those three (PVRI, Norma, and Jamison) are the only suppliers of new brass for the .303 Savage...at least as far as I have found so far. The Jamison brass appears to be US-made, if so and it works well, then Jamison will be my prefered brass manufacturer.

And since I can get new brass, I'm going to avoid going down the reforming route. Being a newbie, I'm not really interested in working the cases, I'd much rather start with new brass with the correct dimensions.

Does anyone have an older reloading manual that includes reloading .303 Savage?

The new Speer Reloading Manual #14 and Lyman Reloading Manual #49 do not include any data on the .303 Savage.

Thanks
Bob

Finally.. here you go..

also,, there is a great deal of info on the cartridge in the 12th edition of "Cartridges of the World" by Frank Barns AKA "Barns bullets" $32. at the Whole sale sports store. it contains the loading data in new error powders.

Attachments

• 303 Savage 1954.JPG
    303 Savage 1954.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 303 Savage 1954a.JPG
    303 Savage 1954a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 303 Savage 1967.JPG
    303 Savage 1967.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Finally.. here you go..

also,, there is a great deal of info on the cartridge in the 12th edition of "Cartridges of the World" by Frank Barns AKA "Barns bullets" $32. at the Whole sale sports store. it contains the loading data in new error powders.

Thanks

(and thanks to others as well)

Back