Non-aviation Posts

What should PoA's policy on non-aviation content be?

• Eliminate all non-aviation posts.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Move all non-aviation posts to a new "Off the Airport" forum.

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • Continue as is, allowing non-aviation posts in "Hangar Talk."

Votes: 83 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael said:
Is it possible to make a new forum for political talk,
Yes, but based on the poll results so far, the vast majority of responders prefer to leave non-aviation posts in Hangar Talk.

and not have it shown on the front page?
Greebo can answer that better than I. We could implement an "ignore forum" function that would remove from your views any forum you did not wish to see. However, given the poll results I do not think it likely we'll move the non-aviation content off Hangar Talk. Thus, even if we implement an "ignore forum" function, the best you could do would be eliminate all Hangar Talk, including both aviation and non-aviation content.

Sorry we can't better meet your desires.

Ron Levy
PoA Management Council

The answer to the second question is also yes - we choose which forums appear on the front page.

I've been thinking of taking Hangar Talk off of the front page list - i'll pose that to the MC sometime soon.

Mike's idea seems really really good.
That way hanger talk could keep the non political posts, and people who didn't want to see political posts could steer totally clear of them.

Okay got to get back to studying for tomorrow's oral....:dunno:

infotango said:
That way hanger talk could keep the non political posts, and people who didn't want to see political posts could steer totally clear of them.

The oral is an open book test, and the easiest part of the checkride for me. I was advised to think of it as more of a conversation with the DE about flying, and that's what I did. It helped :)

infotango said:

Yeah Mike that's a really good idea. Gee if only someone had thought of it sooner, the other board could still be here. See, I'm emotionally infantile and incapable of adult discretion, I'm also illiterate so it is not possible for me to distinguish what I'm reading until I've digested at least several pages, asked my wife and whined to management. To make matters worse I'm a Nazarene and have given an oath of purity, even seeing a non-aviation post could result in ritual uncleanliness.

Please, protect me from myself.

I realize that the majority of adults at this time disagree with me, I know the forum rules, I've read the description of "Hanger Talk" but like any good special interest group, if I repeat the complaint often enough and take weekly polls, I'm sure enough people will see the wisdom of my ways. It has worked before.

Thank you. I'm going to wash my eyes and hands. Just being in the "Hanger" feels dirty. If only I could stop!!!!

:no:

Greebo said:
I've been thinking of taking Hangar Talk off of the front page list - i'll pose that to the MC sometime soon.
Chuck, Im afraid if you do that, you will have the same 10 posts on the front page for days at a time, might cause a bordom issue with some folks.
If you look at the front page now, and I'm sure your aware of it, 8 of the 10 posts on there are from HT. What about adding an off topic but no political thread? and put that on the front?

edit: OR...a cat thread!

On an old board I used to be on they had a forum called:

LEPR = LEgal, Politics, Religion

It could be made a sub-forum of the Hanger Talk forum.

BTW...hello everyone! Sorry for my first post being on this topic, but it was the first thing that showed up in the New Post search.

Also, as someone who is just getting into flying, and loves planes, I also know (as a former avid motorcyclist) that no one can talk about their hobby all day long, that when just hanging out (whether a flyer, motorcyclist, sailor (I do that too, LOL)) that sooner or later the discussion around the hobby putters out and people start talking about the events of the day, their kids, next months vacation, etc.

Why would you want it different here? I mean I want to get to know you as PEOPLE, not just pilots.

Dart said:
Yeah Mike that's a really good idea. Gee if only someone had thought of it sooner, the other board could still be here. See, I'm emotionally infantile and incapable of adult discretion, I'm also illiterate so it is not possible for me to distinguish what I'm reading until I've digested at least several pages, asked my wife and whined to management. To make matters worse I'm a Nazarene and have given an oath of purity, even seeing a non-aviation post could result in ritual uncleanliness.

Please, protect me from myself.

I realize that the majority of adults at this time disagree with me, I know the forum rules, I've read the description of "Hanger Talk" but like any good special interest group, if I repeat the complaint often enough and take weekly polls, I'm sure enough people will see the wisdom of my ways. It has worked before.

Thank you. I'm going to wash my eyes and hands. Just being in the "Hanger" feels dirty. If only I could stop!!!!

:no:

Well, I agree with your point you're making here (see my post earlier in this thread) but I have to go along with the old saying that "Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm."

Last edited:
tdager said:
On an old board I used to be on they had a forum called:

LEPR = LEgal, Politics, Religion

It could be made a sub-forum of the Hanger Talk forum.

BTW...hello everyone! Sorry for my first post being on this topic, but it was the first thing that showed up in the New Post search.

Also, as someone who is just getting into flying, and loves planes, I also know (as a former avid motorcyclist) that no one can talk about their hobby all day long, that when just hanging out (whether a flyer, motorcyclist, sailor (I do that too, LOL)) that sooner or later the discussion around the hobby putters out and people start talking about the events of the day, their kids, next months vacation, etc.

Why would you want it different here? I mean I want to get to know you as PEOPLE, not just pilots.
Welcome!

Last edited:
Michael said:
its always the same people with the same views and same spin.

And the Ignore feature does not really help at all.

You ignore someone, and they still have your attention kidnapped when you click New Posts each day..... because there are 10 new political posts by the same person, even though you are 'ignoring them', they are right there. Yes its true, you don't have to click, and can never see the text of their tedious diatribes, but suddenly 50% of POA is this political thing, that political thing.

Politicians Of America??

I haven't been back to the WB, did they really drop all political talk?

"Airplanes Is All That Matters!"

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
And the Ignore feature does not really help at all.

You ignore someone, and they still have your attention kidnapped when you click New Posts each day..... because there are 10 new political posts by the same person, even though you are 'ignoring them', they are right there.

This bring up something I wanted to suggest. Would it be possible for posts by people on your ignore list not to show up in the new posts search? Otherwise, I find the "ignore poster" function to work quite well.

Welcome, Tom! Glad you found the board, and hope your intro doesn't get lost in this thread.

lurker said:
Would it be possible for posts by people on your ignore list not to show up in the new posts search?

EXACTLY! Well, that is what I was trying to say! Thanks for putting it so eloquently.
Here. I just logged on. A month ago it would have been:

5 posts about aviation

Today it is

5 posts about aviation, all tarnished with various poison-threads, such as:
Follow the Money
Prophet Mohammed books
Israel v French/British
someone whining about the complaints they are receiving for such posts!
Iranian nukes
Censorship

of which two threads the moderator has had to lock.

WTF,O???

Let'sgoflying! said:
EXACTLY! Well, that is what I was trying to say! Thanks for putting it so eloquently.
Here. I just logged on. A month ago it would have been:

5 posts about aviation

Today it is

5 posts about aviation, all tarnished with various poison-threads, such as:
Follow the Money
Prophet Mohammed books
Israel v French/British
someone whining about the complaints they are receiving for such posts!
Iranian nukes
Censorship

of which two threads the moderator has had to lock.

WTF,O???

Both of which I'm sure the moderators are investigating, after which they will no doubt deal with the situation, probably gently at first.

I don't like all the headlines in my newspaper either, but I still buy the paper. I simply don't read all the articles.

The following is a PERSONAL observation and in no way reflects management nor my role here at PoA...

I don't get it.

After all the rumbles on AOPA's board, they finally shut it down to anything non-aviation. Sad, really, but I've got a nice place here with a bunch of friends. AOPA can fulfill their role nicely with their board and its specific content while I can visit both boards for whatever I'm looking for. And, yes, I just renewed.

Now we have some newcomers as well as some old friends posting more and more politics. That's okay because, for the most part, they're not violating any of the Rules of Conduct they agreed to upon registering. No sweat.

Except...

Very few people like it. And even more REALLY don't like it. Well within your rights, you say! Bravo! But don't you feel just a little bit silly continuing to post content that is really nothing more than trollbait disguised as your views? And hearing the same old people say "hear, hear!" and patting you on the back?? It almost reminds me of some silly high school clique activity.

I guess I look at being in a place like this as walking into a community hangar or bar. Sure, you can start talking politics or religion or your left/right/center/up/down views. But after a while, don't you notice how people start walking away from you when you come in? It's not your deodarant, kids.

So post away, have fun, and pretend you're doing something for whatever your cause of the day is. But know this from someone who has been there: the ones who believe already believe and the ones who don't are ignoring you or just leaving. You're not changing any minds nor are you making any friends.

In a community like this, that's actually kind of sad. These people will take darn near anyone. They have no class or standards at all. :D

Well said.

I will confess (no news to anyone I'm sure) that I was for a while, a poster in the Soapbox, and I enjoy the wide variety of discourse here too, whether it is politics, flying, or the various "hi, how're ya doin" type of threads that are common.

I seldom start a political thread, but I enjoy conversing once someone else does, even though the original post might have been trolling. Someone actually dinged my reputation not too long ago for that very thing - "You should stop taking the bait or this place will be another soapbox ASAP."

Forget you. I don't need a Mom OR a Dad, I've still got both. But I digress...

I get tired of seeing the same posts over and over again too. "What headset should I get?" "Cessna or Piper?" "My CFI makes me cry." But I usually don't put the posters on ignore ;) and cry about having to see the same thread titles over, and over, and over again. Heck, sometimes I start 'em.

I enjoy all of it. It is hangar talk. I hear the same thing in real hangars as I do here. That's why I hang out in hangars. To talk.

And I will put my flame suit on before this one: It is always a small group of two to four people who cause the grief on any discussion board. If POA really wants to do something about this without making sweeping changes they should deal with that group that exists here. I said it on the red board a few weeks ago, and I'll say it here.

And if some of you consider me to be one of that group, well, then have POA deal with me ;) But leave the Hangar alone :lightning:

Of course, you have to catch me breaking the rules first. Don't hold your breath.

Brian Austin said:
The following is a PERSONAL observation and in no way reflects management nor my role here at PoA...

I don't get it.

Except...

Very few people like it. And even more REALLY don't like it. Well within your rights

Ok hold on here a minute.....

According to the front page, there are 860 members here, of which 135, or 15.69% Have voted in this poll as of now.

Out of those 135, 64.4% have said continue as is with non-aviation content.

So I have to ask, where are you pulling the very few like it, and even more really don't like it, as it does not seem to coincide with the above numbers.

Is there another poll where almost 16% of the members here voted and a majority of them said they don't like it or something? Maybe I missed that one Brian.

Seems to me, like the ones that read or post in Hangar talk have minimal issues at all about what is being posted, since they have voted to leave it as is.

Just an observation and trying to figure out your rationale for your post.

Care to clarify it for me?

Thanks,
Joe

alaskaflyer said:
I enjoy all of it. It is hangar talk. I hear the same thing in real hangars as I do here. That's why I hang out in hangars. To talk.
I'm sure you do hear the same things in real hangars. But when one or two guys walk in and start talking and bitching about the same things, over and over, doesn't it get old? And if they happen to be the loudest and fastest talkers, do you stick around? Why bother? They're not interested in actual discourse. They just want to ***** about something. They watch the news all day and scour the Internet for something to get upset about. Then they start discussing it like everyone around them is actually interested. And then when someone complains, they shout how they are being persecuted and their rights are being trampled! Oh, the shame of it all!

Maybe nobody likes them. Maybe, just maybe, the majority of the people in the hangar aren't interested in the conversation? So what bad thing happens if the talker decides to stick to the local discussions, toss out a new one ONCE IN A WHILE, and take his/her extensive research to a group that might actually appreciate it?

I personally tend to ignore the politics. Quite frankly, I'd have a group of posters on Ignore but due to my role here, I can't. So I tend to just skip over their threads until the post count starts to creep up, then get interested to see where it's going.

Richard, this isn't aimed at you but more general...I'll say it again: just because you can post here doesn't mean you're liked. You think you're doing a service or something but in reality, you're the guy/gal that everyone avoids when he/she walks into a room. Kinda sad.

Sonar5 said:
Ok hold on here a minute.....

According to the front page, there are 860 members here, of which 135, or 15.69% Have voted in this poll as of now.

Out of those 135, 64.4% have said continue as is with non-aviation content.

So I have to ask, where are you pulling the very few like it, and even more really don't like it, as it does not seem to coincide with the above numbers.

Is there another poll where almost 16% of the members here voted and a majority of them said they don't like it or something? Maybe I missed that one Brian.

Seems to me, like the ones that read or post in Hangar talk have minimal issues at all about what is being posted, since they have voted to leave it as is.

Just an observation and trying to figure out your rationale for your post.

Care to clarify it for me?

Thanks,
Joe
First, your numbers are skewed.

860 members is not 860 active participants. Daily statistics are more in the 100-200 user range per day. Check the member list and re-sort based on Post Count or check the Last Visited entries.

Second, non-aviation content includes talk about your dog, car, computer, last trip to the beach, tax questions, vcr questions, etc.. Non-aviation is not "gee, I support political postings ala Soapbox". So, again, the poll isn't valid for that type of content.

Third, the poll had nothing to do with whether or not political threads were welcome in HT. The poll was designed to find out what is SAYS: is non-aviation content welcome at PoA and, if so, would you like to see it here in HT or somewhere else? The word "politics" or one of its derivatives was never used.

Fourth, as part of the management, I get a lot of PMs regarding content. So do other moderators and Management Council members. And I'm getting them regarding the volume of content coming from a core group of posters.

Any questions?

Here is an interesting observation.

1) In Hangar Talk, scroll to the right, and click on Views.

That sorts by number of views. Plenty of Political threads there in the top twenty or so.

2) Do the same with Replies, plenty of Political posts there too.

The Numbers of people voting in this thread, along with the views and replies numbers suggest that more than a minority either enjoy or are at least interested enough to click on or reply to political topics.

Any suggestion contrary to the thought that people either don't like it here, or don't want it here as if they are part of some majority are simply not supported by facts and are nothing more than a minority viewpoint, IMHO.

The numbers are what they are.

People may disagree with them, but they are there for all to see.

Regards,
Joe

Brian Austin said:
Richard, this isn't aimed at you but more general...I'll say it again: just because you can post here doesn't mean you're liked. You think you're doing a service or something but in reality, you're the guy/gal that everyone avoids when he/she walks into a room. Kinda sad.

Well, I hope I'm not that person :frog:, just because I like to contribute to those threads you are talking about...maybe I'm kidding myself :( If so...:target:

Brian Austin said:
Fourth, as part of the management, I get a lot of PMs regarding content. So do other moderators and Management Council members. And I'm getting them regarding the volume of content coming from a core group of posters.

Any questions?
Yeah, I responded to your post, since you specifically stated.

I see that was a mistake for me, IMHO, to respond thinking you actually meant that. Based upon your post above where you then felt the need to then interject your management position.

Kind of a contrary post on your part.

So. Never mind.

I posted my numbers and my opinion as a member. Nothing more, and the numbers are what they are.

Brian Austin said:
just because you can post here doesn't mean you're liked. You think you're doing a service or something but in reality, you're the guy/gal that everyone avoids when he/she walks into a room. Kinda sad.

Uh oh - is that what's going on now?

I knew people disliked me :(

Sonar5 said:
Here is an interesting observation.

1) In Hangar Talk, scroll to the right, and click on Views.

That sorts by number of views. Plenty of Political threads there in the top twenty or so.

2) Do the same with Replies, plenty of Political posts there too.

The Numbers of people voting in this thread, along with the views and replies numbers suggest that more than a minority either enjoy or are at least interested enough to click on or reply to political topics.

Any suggestion contrary to the thought that people either don't like it here, or don't want it here as if they are part of some majority are simply not supported by facts and are nothing more than a minority viewpoint, IMHO.

The numbers are what they are.

People may disagree with them, but they are there for all to see.

Regards,
Joe
Again, you don't know how the software works. Your numbers aren't what you think they are re: Views.

Start a thread. Then visit it. Then visit it again. That's two views. Reply to it in that second view. When you post and it automatically goes back to the thread, that's three views. When it goes to a second page and you cycle from page one to page two, the view count increments.

And some people just like to watch accidents, too. ;)

Brian Austin said:
Again, you don't know how the software works.
False statement.

I do know how it works.

And if you want to look at what you wrote.

non-aviation content does not exclude politics, it includes politics.

The poll was aksed in the Hangar Talk forum.

If the active user base is 200, then 115 responses would represent over a 57% response of active users according to your analogy of active users thus making my position that much stronger.

Anyway, I've posted my opinion here. I've countered yours to my satisfaction, and I am happy with the numbers as presented to support my views as a member and NOT a member of management.

Have a nice day. :)
Joe

Last edited:
Sonar5 said:
Yeah, I responded to your post, since you specifically stated.
I see that was a mistake for me, IMHO, to respond thinking you actually meant that. Based upon your post above where you then felt the need to then interject your management position.

Kind of a contrary post on your part.

So. Never mind.

I posted my numbers and my opinion as a member. Nothing more, and the numbers are what they are.
Oh, dear. We're pulling out the persecuted card, I see.

While I have superpowers in a lot of things here at PoA, I do not have the ability to make unilateral decisions unless it's a very obvious RoC violation. Even then, it's subject to review by the Management Council as a whole.

By jumping into this like I have, I've already forfeited any right I have to a vote regarding issues in this thread. Everything I've said is based on personal observations and my own opinions. My position here simply makes me more active than most and subject to more PM/e-mails than most. Whatever the decisions reached in the MC, I have 1/5 of the impact you think I do.

Sonar5 said:
False statement.

I do know how it works.
Splendid. Then consider where your numbers are really coming from, okay?

Sonar5 said:
And if you want to look at what you wrote.

non-aviation content does not exclude politics, it includes politics.

The poll was aksed in the Hangar Talk forum.

If the active user base is 200, then 115 responses would represent over a 57% response of active users according to your analogy of active users thus making my position that much stronger.
I never said it didn't exclude politics. Your statement implied that non-av content welcomed politics. It doesn't. It simply means what it says: non-av content = not aviation related in any way.

You seem to like the numbers game so start another poll, Joe. "Would you prefer non-aviation content in Hangar Talk without politics?" Let's see where it goes.

alaskaflyer said:
Well, I hope I'm not that person :frog:, just because I like to contribute to those threads you are talking about...maybe I'm kidding myself :( If so...:target:
It wasn't aimed at you. Just continuing the thought.

Quite frankly, I'm less concerned about the politics than I am about the emotions it seems to be bringing out in a lot of people.

alaskaflyer said:

That's a lot of emoticons. Like a rebus :D

As there appears to be some confusion about the terms here, I'm going to ask you all to move and continue this discussion in the new, expanded, all possible options I could think of poll, here: New super duper poll

Closing thread because otherwise we'll be arguing the same thing in two spots, and one is already almost more than enough...good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back