Non-aviation GPS Units

HuskerMedic

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Carl Campbell
I've been researching into buying a non-aviation GPS unit, mainly for the wife to use while driving (can't find her @$$ with both hands) but also for use on vacations, etc. I have very limited exposure to the Garmin V and was thinking of something along that line, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a Garmin product. Was just wondering if anyone out there has any experiences/recommendations they would like to share.

HuskerMedic said:
I've been researching into buying a non-aviation GPS unit, mainly for the wife to use while driving (can't find her @$$ with both hands) but also for use on vacations, etc. I have very limited exposure to the Garmin V and was thinking of something along that line, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a Garmin product. Was just wondering if anyone out there has any experiences/recommendations they would like to share.

I have a Street Pilot 2730 and it works pretty well. I was disappointed with how little can be customized on the display, but other than that I'm quite satisfied. This unit comes with a remote control which I've never found a use for so I recommend you consider a cheaper one without the remote. Two other features are available on some units: XM radio, and traffic (congestion).

About two months ago I bought the Magellan 700 series (760?) for a little over $600 on the internet. I wanted a large hard drive so I didn't have to keep taking out memory sticks and reprogramming them in my computer. Also wanted a large display screen and voice prompts.

We were looking into the same thing...mainly for our motorcycle trips. Except we had an issue with buying one JUST for the road and one JUST for the plane. We decided that we will probably get the Garmnin 396 and add the road layer to it. I have become hooked on XM radio, and with the WAAS capabilities, the 396 fit the missions we would use it for.

If we didn't fly, the 2730 would work great, and if we were into boating, the 376C with the road layer would be #1 choice

The Garmin 76C is the best all around unit IMO, it is small enough to use for hikes, outdoor trips, but screen is large enough to input Jeppesen products for aviation., or various available street databases available from both Garmin and third party vendors. I use it at work (for wilderness search and rescue and navigation) and in the car when trying to navigate around Anchorage. I've never put aviation products in it but I know it accepts them - I decided instead for flying to use the 296 (or maybe the 396) instead.

Retails around $400 I believe. It is also WAAS enabled.

pt-GPSMAP76CLarge.jpg

Only disadvantage is if you are really looking for a larger screen you will probably want something else.

Its also got a sunlight readable screen :goofy:

If you also own a boat it has the full Garmin marine features. Really a nice unit. No, I'm not a Garmin rep ;)

Not high end by any stretch of the imagination but:

etrex legend
US topo maps
several other goodies including a car instrument panel mount (wrong mount in the link but right one in the package)

negative points for smallish 4 level greyscale screen and 8mb memory but...
$400ish of stuff for $199.00 after the rebate and it'll keep you from getting completely lost between A and B.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1997426&cp=875821

lancefisher said:
I have a Street Pilot 2730 and it works pretty well. I was disappointed with how little can be customized on the display, but other than that I'm quite satisfied. This unit comes with a remote control which I've never found a use for so I recommend you consider a cheaper one without the remote. Two other features are available on some units: XM radio, and traffic (congestion).

I've had a Street Pilot 2620 for almost two years now. The 2620, 2720, and 2730 are fairly similar - They all sport a touch screen and remote control. (Lance, I use the remote almost exclusively simply so that the screen doesn't get dirty! And no dedicated zoom buttons on the main unit.) They also are all equipped either with a hard drive or enough memory to hold street maps and points of interest for the entire US and the major parts of Canada. Hungry for BBQ? Hit Find->Food->BBQ and either "Near here" or "near current route" and then "Go To." Very nice. I don't know what I did without it!

The 2620 is no longer being sold new, but plenty on eBay, I think running around $550 or so. The 2720 adds a new "fly-behind" view and reads actual street names (mine says "Turn left in zero point six miles" and then "Turn left in four hundred feet" and that sort of thing instead) and the 2730 adds XM radio, XM weather (though it's just cheesy icons, no NEXRAD or anything or I'd have one already), XM traffic in major cities, etc. If you want a big screen, the 7200 is like a 2730 with a 7" screen.

There are also lots of new "easy to use" ones like "TomTom" and other lines from Garmin. I've never been very impressed by the Magellan ones.

I have a Magellan 310. $100 at Frye's. There is no database except what I program into it. Battery operated. Works just fine for me. I'm a VFR guy who flies for fun.

Jim

Back