Non alcoholic beer is pretty good nowadays.

I love you guys.

Good point and I don’t (was just giving the first equivalent to NA beer that came to mind). I’ve been to a few since I’ve met her and she has drug me into them all. She likes them more than me…

PS. I married a unicorn. :)

It’s an awful thing to have to tolerate ain’t it brother? I feel your pain ;)

Clausthaler from Deutschland is quite a good Pilsner NA, and I see it occasionally in US.

Another is Thomasbrau, from the Munich brewery Paulaner. I enjoyed it at lunchtime when I lived in Munich.

Carbs are either good or bad. Home made whole grain sourdough bread is good. Hostess Twinkie is bad. There are a lot of carbs in home made chocolate cream pie, but its good calories because its worth it. I eat good calories, but the really bad for me stuff I do in extreme moderation. Donuts are good calories when they're good donuts, I had my donut this year.

Good beer is good calories, again in extreme moderation. Bad beer is bad calories because, well, it's bad. Non alcoholic beer is bad calories even if the stuff tastes OK. Sorry, beer is supposed to have alcohol. Whatever ills @SixPapaCharlie won't be fixed by switching from alcoholic to nonalcoholic beer. Might be fixed by switching from beer to water. Might be fixed by decreasing net calories. Might be fixed with a more rigorous exercise regime.

Getting older doesn't have to suck.

Last edited:
I've come to realize that I'm just not a beer drinker. Sure, there are beers I like, a lot. They're typically stouts and porters, and the world seems to be fixated now on seeing just how incredibly face-puckering nasty they can make beer by cramming it so full of hops that it implodes. I'd rather drink water than IPA. In fact there are very few things I'd NOT rather drink than IPA, and most of them have either little skulls on the bottle or biohazard symbols. So I'll drink a few beers per year. Most are Leinie Shandys, with a few Spotted Cows when it's really hot and the beer's really cold. Once in a while I'll find a good black beer and enjoy it.

For the most part, though, I've switched to whisk(e)ys. Bourbon, Scotch, Irish. I had a glass of Macallan 25 the other night with dinner and now I understand the appeal of the really old Scotch. It was amazing.

I can't imagine wanting to drink any alcoholic beverage without the alcohol. Maybe some of the frozen concoction type things...

How is THAT gonna help you hang on?

I don't drink beer that often any more since I discovered bourbon and Scotch whisky. I don't think I'd ever be able to drink beer because of the taste, except for maybe a Guinness.

A lot of the stuff they're calling IPA now is very different from a traditional IPA, and the current trend of hoppy to the extreme is absurd. That said, there are some very good IPAs out there, some go down real nice on a hot summer day. But even more annoying is the trend toward higher and higher alcohol content. I want to enjoy a beer or three, not get hammered after the first one. It's gotten so looking for the alcohol content on the label is one of the first things I do whey buying. Kudos to brewers who put not only the ABV but the IBU (bitterness) numbers easily found on the label.

A similar trend in Scotch Whisky is overdoing the peating. Fortunately the traditional brands aren't doing that.

A lot of the stuff they're calling IPA now is very different from a traditional IPA, and the current trend of hoppy to the extreme is absurd. That said, there are some very good IPAs out there, some go down real nice on a hot summer day. But even more annoying is the trend toward higher and higher alcohol content. I want to enjoy a beer or three, not get hammered after the first one. It's gotten so looking for the alcohol content on the label is one of the first things I do whey buying. Kudos to brewers who put not only the ABV but the IBU (bitterness) numbers easily found on the label.

A similar trend in Scotch Whisky is overdoing the peating. Fortunately the traditional brands aren't doing that.
A while ago a local pizza place had Buckethead IPA for their $2 special. Halfway into the second one, after I’d downed the first with reckless abandon, I discovered why it’s called “Buckethead”. 9.2%, I believe. I like it but at least now I know better…

The problem with non alcoholic beer is that it tastes like beer.

I'd drink about anything else, including moose ****, first.

All jokes aside, it's really TERRIBLY INCONVENIENT to have not developed a taste/tolerance for wheat soda.

There's times that you find yourself at a sports bar, because that's all that was open when you hit town on a Sunday evening. Ordering a wine with your hot wings gets you a glass of red from a bottle that was opened the previous Thursday. Ordering a scotch gets you funny looks at other places, and it doesn't go well as well with food.

@SixPapaCharlie - I am glad, after reading this thread, that maybe you're doing non-alcohol in your flying flask.

There are some decent NA beers now (I’m drinking a Lagunitas at the moment, in fact), but I really wish someone would create a decent non-alcoholic wine. Ariel is the best I’ve had, and it’s pretty poor compared to even bargain wines.

I just wish someone would develop a freeze-dried or dehydrated beer for consumption on my backpacking trips. It was tried a few years back to dismal failure.

I wish someone would start a thread about actual beer so I didn’t have to read through this depressing garbage.

I wish someone would start a thread about actual beer so I didn’t have to read through this depressing garbage.
It’s been done…..use your search function fercrissakes! Jeez, spoil much?

oh yeah, I see now……

More than, say, Lagavulin? That’s pretty traditional. And pretty peaty.

give up beer altogether and make the switch to whiskey. or if you're really a badass, whisky.

beer makes me fat and burp a lot. which I'm ok doing on special occasions, like rough river and on dates. otherwise I'm a wine and whiskey guy these days. it's almost healthy for you.
I agree. Whiskey is the way

View attachment 101512
Any of you tried these?
Ok, this thread was good for me. I knew I was drinking way too much, especially at my hangar after a day of flying. I bought all of these and actually like Free Wave a lot, probably because I like IPAs! The other two aren't bad, but not as good. I tend to drink a Yuengling Flight, not just because it has a cool name, and then a fake beer or two and call it a day.

Wouldn’t a NA wine be ……….grape juice?

Pretty much. I'm fairly certain that as a kid, going through communion, the fare was tasteless wheat discs and grape juice.

When it comes to beer I prefer stouts and have heard Guinness makes or is making a NA version that I might try to get.
It is okay.

Noticed this summer while visiting Finland that non-alcoholic beers had gotten really popular with a huge selection and as good as the real thing. Waiting to see that happen in the US.

Back