Non-A&P mx

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation.....

Does this mean that the A&P must be looking over your shoulder as you do the work, or can he be in a different area doing something else, but be available for consultation in person?

I know there are some folks who should never touch a wrench, and others who have all the skill and knowlege of the A&P but don't have a cert.

The FAA has never provided a specific answer to this question. I've heard varying opinions on it from different individual FSDO Airworthiness Inspectors, but there is not, to my knowledge, any official written FAA-wide position on the matter. My suspicion is that as long as the work is properly done and documented, they won't care, and if it isn't, they'll be unhappy with the A&P involved no matter where s/he was during the process.

I am sure everyone has their own thoughts about what under supervision means, so here's mine.

I would think I am working under my A&P's supervision when we have discussed said Mx before hand and then again afterward. No need to look over my shoulder as that doubles the time.

Maybe he will weigh in on this.

What prompted this post was Toms post concerning the removal of a prop.
In my situation I tell my A&P that something needs repaired/replaced, and he sez "well, fix it, I'll inspect your work and sign off on it".
That said, I've been working with this guy on my mx issues for several years. And he knows that I know my limitations as far as my abilities go, and that I'll call him when I get into something that I can't handle/don't feel comfortable with. (very seldom do I need to call him over)
I believe the verbiage "...to the extent nessessary..." would be a judgement call for the supervising A&P to make.

So I guess we're all on the same page concerning this. ;)

Back