Noise Abatement Clarification

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
The approach into KHII is straight in but straight in is not allowed because of noise abatement. Which got me thinking how does noise abatement isssues work? I have heard of big fines in California for larger airplanes, but what about smaller planes?

Fly the RNAV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I remembered this wrong, the no straight in was actually in a comments sections on FF. However, you are asked to avoid flying over the city, which means no straight in approaches. But either way, it looks like an "ask" and not some FAR/FAA rule.

It depends if it is locally promulgated or "FAA approved" noise abatement procedures

Calm wind runway is 32, noise abatement from overflying the town south of airport (straight in 32) so AF/D (VFR Chart Supplement) ask pilots to enter on the 45 to downwind, west of the city.

There is not much "city" north of the airport to noise abate. And yes I have been on that VOR to 14 and called the airport advisory freq to announce my position and been told "straight in not authorized".

Yes FF has some expanded information in the remarks area, no straight out for either runway, noise abatement, residential S-SW, enter on the 45, high terrain to the north.

Safety always trumps noise abatement. If you're in actual and can't safely CTL, you fly the straight in. Otherwise, avoid it.

They don't want you there and are hoping to convert the field to a mall ...:confused:

Safety always trumps noise abatement. If you're in actual and can't safely CTL, you fly the straight in. Otherwise, avoid it.
Or make a circling approach every time. Circle the area until you hear someone from the ground tell you that you are close enough to land. It likely won't take more than two or three circles.

I'm just curious, I know of stratgies of not flying over certain areas, and in my airport we can't do touch and goes because of noise abatement, but what other types of noise abatement are there? Altitudes? Power settings at certain areas?

I'm just curious, I know of stratgies of not flying over certain areas, and in my airport we can't do touch and goes because of noise abatement, but what other types of noise abatement are there? Altitudes? Power settings at certain areas?
Many possibilities. I am thinking about flying into KSTP, which is near downtown St Paul, Minnesota. If you google STP Noise Abatement, there is a pamphlet that shows preferred VFR arrival routes over the Mississippi River or a major interstate highway, to avoid making noise above businesses and houses.

But in general noise abatement consists of limiting the horizontal route, the vertical climb or descent profile, power settings for some planes, or anything else that will reduce the impact of aircraft noises on people on the ground who are sensitive to aircraft noises.

I can tell you at ORD they do noise abatement late night and all departures have to depart a specific heading till leaving 040 and the arrivals have to be turned on the final at or above 040 to give you two examples.
As far as power settings, I've never heard of it and would doubt anyone would try it. That would put a large liability on the airport owner by trying it if someone ever had an incident I would think.

Don't buy a house in my area ... CBP flies their choppers pretty low at night, several times after 2am. Doesn't bother me at all ...

A 'modified' straight in, starting high at low power is very quiet, just saying. No, it doesn't work for everyone.

I can tell you at ORD they do noise abatement late night and all departures have to depart a specific heading till leaving 040 and the arrivals have to be turned on the final at or above 040 to give you two examples.
As far as power settings, I've never heard of it and would doubt anyone would try it. That would put a large liability on the airport owner by trying it if someone ever had an incident I would think.

Departure, no probably not. But last time I started a "what's the point of a constant speed prop" thread (which was very informative), one of the reasons to not run around all the time at max rpm was noise. I need to try to remember to incorporate this into my approach check list. Apparently the prop is pretty loud at my "default" setting.

Back