No Traafic or Weather on 430 or Foreflight

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I have a GTX345 and a 430W as well as Foreflight on IPad. Everything was working, but now I am flying more again and I am not seeing traffic. When on the ground the 430 gives a message that is not getting traffic or weather, but no such messages show up in the air.

Foreflight shows to be bluetoothed to the 345 in the devices, but no tower shows up.

It seems that the 345 is the common denominator. This problem coincidently seemed to begin when I updated my 430 databases.

Are there any settings I can check?

Is it not displaying data BOTH in the air and on the ground, or just on the ground? With my NGT9000 I get missing data messages from my GNS430 until I'm airborne, then i start picking up both ADS-B and FIS-B once I'm at 1000-1500 agl or so.

With the transponder antenna on the bottom ofmthe aircraft only, you may not be able to pick up ADS-B or FIS-B broadcasts on the ground, depending on where you are.

I am not picking up a tower while in the air either, but the messages on the 430 indicating no weather or traffic go away when airborne. When things were working well I would see a tower message in the upper left corner of the Foreflight MAPS page.

BTW, I am getting no error messages on any of the three boxes. The only system confirmation message I know to look for is the connected message in Foreflight Devices.

Sounds like a quick visit to the avionics shop in in order.

Yeah, he comes to Mount pleasant quite often for work at the flight museum, but I might have to go to him in commerce. I pinged him a few minutes ago.

Mike have you ever been to the flight museum in mount pleasant? It’s an amazing collection of AIRWORTHY warbirds and other important historical airworthy aircraft.

Avionics shop said to call center while airborne and ask if they are getting an ADS-B return. I expect to do that tomorrow. If it doesn’t work, they said they would be at their hangar and I should stop by.

Go to the FAA site and grab a report on your ADS-B out (PAPR). Free and takes around 30 minutes to get the report. It will let you know if your OUT is not sending correctly. However, you should still receive weather (assuming there was anything to receive), regardless of your OUT functionality. If the skies were clear and no planes were around (within the filter criteria), you won't see anything. FF should also provide a clue. If Traffic and Weather are options in the menu, it is receiving data from your 345. If neither is an option to select, something is amiss.

Mike have you ever been to the flight museum in mount pleasant? It’s an amazing collection of AIRWORTHY warbirds and other important historical airworthy aircraft.
No, I haven't.... But now adding it to my list of places to go visit.

When you do, let me know you’re coming. My hangar backs up to the museum. Maybe we can get in some aviation.

When you do, let me know you’re coming. My hangar backs up to the museum. Maybe we can get in some aviation.
Once I get these instructor written exams studied for and taken, and my brain returns to normal operations, we can see what can be scheduled.

Are you free during the week or just weekends?

I’m retired and available a lot during the week. I am on the go seeing kids and grandkids and going to Galveston and Dripping Springs a lot, but with a little notice I can usually be free on most any day except Sunday.

I’m retired and available a lot during the week. I am on the go seeing kids and grandkids and going to Galveston and Dripping Springs a lot, but with a little notice I can usually be free on most any day except Sunday.
Next Galveston Trip when you're flying solo.... Stop in to see me in Denton on your return before going back to your Mt. Pleasant Hangar.

GLS to DTO is a just the right distance for that looooong leg you need for your Commercial solo Cross Country.

I don't know if you ever have thought about your CPL, but going to the grandkids in Galveston, then seeing me and the members of the Denton PoA gang for lunch or dinner before returning home will definitely check a required box.

I took a trip to Tulahouma, TN several years ago that I think qualifies for the long cross country. That said, would love to get a trip to see you guys. If I can ever get past my IR, I plan on doing the commercial in the Piggy since I read that you no longer need to do the checkride in a complex if you have ten hours of dual in a complex.

I took a trip to Tulahouma, TN several years ago that I think qualifies for the long cross country.
The requirement is 1 landing at 3 different airports, total straight line distances between the three airports of 300 nm or more, and at least one of those legs must exceed 250 nm.

For me DTO to TYR, TRY to GLS, GLS to DTO did the trick.

Now if the Skyline Cafe hadn't been closed that day (looking at you, @JCranford).

I flew my son in law to Antlers, Ok for his flight physical. It was a leisurely flight except for the half hour I spent under the hood, so we got a chance to play with the avionics and JPI. We were getting traffic on the 430 which means the 430 and 345 are working properly. I was getting a connection to the 345 from Foreflight but no traffic or towers showed up. I am thinking there is a tower issue in my area, but I don’t know what’s going on.

Back