No TFR notices for Chicago lakefront. It's a trap!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
As I've mentioned I have first hand knowledge of the Chicago lakefront VFR route being effectively closed by TFR. On July 3rd a few years ago, in spite of getting a briefing from the Terre Haute FSS minutes before I turned the key to start my engine I wasn't informed that Meigs airspace was closed until I was a few minutes away. I had to fly out into the lake, on instruments, because it was very hazy and I had no horizon.

What's concerning now, is like when I got caught by it, there is no official notice at http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr/list.jsp

We can assume that the blanket "no flight over large gatherings of people" NOTAM will come into effect for the 4th of July fireworks display on July 3rd (sic. It's a Chicago tradition.) Besides that Taste of Chicago is going on throughout Grant Park all week.

There are CONCERTS now at the new "temporary" Charter One Pavilion (by Clearchannel) on "Northerly Island" otherwise known as Meigs Field.

What about boaters? Can we expect to see a flotilla of pleasure craft anchored just offshore?
The official answer is no, with an asterisk. There's a 1,000-yard safety and security zone surrounding the island from when the area formerly was the Meigs Field airport, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, and the rule is still on the books. Anchoring a boat in open water in that area is officially not allowed. But the Guard is working with the city to change that rule, a spokesman says, and in the meantime has no plans to enforce it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...8jun24,1,6926143.story?coll=chi-ent_music-hed

Do ya think that we're free to fly over? Try to find any notice of a TFR.

On one hand Chicago may be having trouble getting knee jerk TFRs since Daley destroyed Meigs with the midnight raid in spite. On the other hand maybe we're just supposed to know due to the blanket TFR.

Do YOU know about the concert schedule? Did you know about theses other events? No excuses! :mad:

Back