No TFR for Indy 500?

mikegreen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mike g.
I thought there would be. Or does it fall into the whole "you should know where every sporting event with more then 10,000 people are at"...but even those show up on the TFR map, just with the blanket notice saying you gotta figure out what times they're occurring...

eh?

Stadium NOTAM covers it though the FEDs have been known to author a special TFR for certain things (ex: Superbowl).

It's not "sporting event with over 10,000 people," it's:
ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS.
...and the Indy 500 is an IndyCar event. In addition, the FAA has published a NOTAM regarding arrivals and departures for that event. See http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/ for details.

The estimated race day attendance at the Indy 500 is over 400,000. There are grandstands for 257,000 and then there's the infield.

There's no Champ series anymore. CART (ex-INDYCAR) went bankrupt in 2003 and Champ was an attempt to resurrect it which didn't succeed either. You can thank Tony George for that :)

I'm out here for the race. Ton of banner and sightseeing planes in slow flight over downtown today for the parade. I'm fired up for tomorrow - Anyone else going?

We stopped in SBN yesterday on our way to IAD, I didn't see anything with regards to TFRs.

We stopped in SBN yesterday on our way to IAD, I didn't see anything with regards to TFRs.
You missed FDC NOTAM 9/5151?
FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE REPLACES FDC NOTAM 3/1862 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 3/1862 TO COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, END PART 1 OF 2 FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 3/1862 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/TSNM/GENERAL_AVIATION/AIRSPACE_WAIVERS.SHTM (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE ONLY) OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. INDIVIDUALS MAY SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER AT HTTPS://WAIVER.C3.FAA.GOV. END PART 2 OF 2
Since that standing NOTAM covers the Indy 500, there will not be another specific one issued.

Right, I just meant I did not see any issued TFRs specifically for the race.

I am not sure I should even post this but there seems to be some absurdity in the restrictions for "major sporting events." In reading it, it seems to me that the FAA is trying to avoid flights over outdoor sporting events in which large number of spectators(over 30,000) will be watching. However, many stadiums are domed now, and basketball games, hockey games, and some other sports which are held indoors can also attract large numbers of spectators but they are not include in the statute, and also many other events that attract these large numbers of spectators(rock concerts by "supergroups" in open air stadiums for example) are not included either.

Also unless I read the notam wrong, it seems I can fly 3001 ft AGL over the event and not violate the TFR. Is that really any degree of protection for these events?

It just seems as though I am missing something.

Yes, it should be there. There's a special note to say that it was missed during the printing of the May notice.

See: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/

"Indianapolis 500 Mile Race
May 23-May 26, 2013

*Please note that this event did not make the print edition of the May 2, 2013 NTAP, however, information for this event can be viewed here (PDF)."

Yes, it should be there. There's a special note to say that it was missed during the printing of the May notice.

See: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/

"Indianapolis 500 Mile Race
May 23-May 26, 2013

*Please note that this event did not make the print edition of the May 2, 2013 NTAP, however, information for this event can be viewed here (PDF)."

Typical guvmint workers...:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:..

The race has only been going on for over 100 years... Frigging overpaid idiots..:mad:

I am not sure I should even post this but there seems to be some absurdity in the restrictions for "major sporting events." In reading it, it seems to me that the FAA is trying to avoid flights over outdoor sporting events in which large number of spectators(over 30,000) will be watching. However, many stadiums are domed now, and basketball games, hockey games, and some other sports which are held indoors can also attract large numbers of spectators but they are not include in the statute, and also many other events that attract these large numbers of spectators(rock concerts by "supergroups" in open air stadiums for example) are not included either.

Also unless I read the notam wrong, it seems I can fly 3001 ft AGL over the event and not violate the TFR. Is that really any degree of protection for these events?

It just seems as though I am missing something.
If one assumes that the real purpose of it is to cut down on the collision hazard from unregulated banner tows, news media, paparazzi and looky-loos, then it makes more sense.

If one assumes that the real purpose of it is to cut down on the collision hazard from unregulated banner tows, news media, paparazzi and looky-loos, then it makes more sense.
I guess that is what I am missing, but then why the restriction over domed stadiums?

I guess that is what I am missing, but then why the restriction over domed stadiums?

See now, you seem to be looking for a logical explanation of government rule making guidelines.......STOP THAT!!!!!!! :D

OBTW....why to they have blimps covering football games in domed stadiums??? :dunno:

Typical guvmint workers...:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:..

The race has only been going on for over 100 years... Frigging overpaid idiots..:mad:

Actually, the person who missed this probably gets paid like $30,000 a year. You want to pay them more for better performance?

9ejevaqu.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, the person who missed this probably gets paid like $30,000 a year. You want to pay them more for better performance?

I respectfully disagree.....

The persons that missed this are asleep at the switch.. Drunk on guvmint lax work rules and "you can't fire me, I am a union guv worker" attitude....

The wages in that section of the FAA start at 48,460.00 and go up from there.. My guess is the average is in the mid 60's. with the lavish benefit package Fed workers get, you can figure 80+ per employee... And with thousands of employees in that dept more then one person MISSED putting that TFR inclusion on the monthly list...

And.... What happens to a guv employee that screws up:dunno:..

They get PAID administrative leave..:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad:..

Carry on.....:rolleyes:

The real purpose is to stop banner tows from carrying ads without the sponsoring organization getting a piece of the action. Same for the Disney permanent TFR.

The real purpose is to stop banner tows from carrying ads without the sponsoring organization getting a piece of the action. Same for the Disney permanent TFR.

Damn right!

Back