No TFR for Bolder Boulder ? ?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Boulder, CO hosts the "Bolder Boulder" 10K race every Memorial Day with ~50K entrants. It goes through the city and finishes at the CU-Boulder stadium with all kinds of events, usually including parachutists and local tv coverage with at least one helicopter. Massive event.

This year, there is no apparent TFR anywhere. Nothing on ForeFlight, FAA.gov, etc. I spoke with an exceptionally friendly and helpful briefer at 1-900-WX-BRIEF - no record of anything anywhere.

Called Journeys Aviation at KBDU, the Boulder Municipal Airport roughly five miles northeast of the stadium. They have an email from the airport manager warning of a two-ship F-16 flyover at 12:12pm and suggesting local aircraft land or depart the area beforehand.

They do have small TFRs for college football games and concerts.

Very odd there is no TFR. Thoughts from POA, especially Colorado folks?

Dunno. Bandimere doesn’t have TFRs either but I always stay away when the parking lots are full. Personal choice but I try to avoid flying over just about any large outdoor gathering. I’m sure other folks want to fly nearby or over just to see the event.

Why do you feel it is odd?
Big event, lots of people, F-16s and parachutists in the airspace, close to a municipal airport and in a popular VFR flyway.

If they're going to have TFRs for all the other stuff, I'd expect them to have one here. Don't want to inadvertenly violate a TFR, regardless of their value.

Only the useless oligarchs and big money sports franchises get TFRs. Oh and Disney, of course.

Other events don’t rate. Not enough billionaires involved.

It seems pretty bold of them to not cover Boulder. It's supposed to be colder in Boulder for this Bolder Boulder than some of the older Bolder Boulders, which may make this a colder Bolder Boulder, not to be confused with the Colder Boulder, which is held in December in Boulder when it's much much colder.

I just realized it’s all okay. Boulder is safe. They banned “assault rifles”. LOL.

They’ve also banned the use of natural gas from hydraulic fracture stimulated wells...

Oh my. Where will their City Council get their endless supply of hot air from for their virtue signaling operations? LOL.

Just to clarify... Lachlan is 100 percent correct. Great post!

He forgot to add “Flatirons, Flatirons, Flatirons!” in his best Brady Bunch “Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!” voice. Boulder PR people always mention those breathlessly with great passion. LOL.

Boulder, CO hosts the "Bolder Boulder" 10K race every Memorial Day with ~50K entrants. It goes through the city and finishes at the CU-Boulder stadium with all kinds of events, usually including parachutists and local tv coverage with at least one helicopter. Massive event.

This year, there is no apparent TFR anywhere. Nothing on ForeFlight, FAA.gov, etc. I spoke with an exceptionally friendly and helpful briefer at 1-900-WX-BRIEF - no record of anything anywhere.

Called Journeys Aviation at KBDU, the Boulder Municipal Airport roughly five miles northeast of the stadium. They have an email from the airport manager warning of a two-ship F-16 flyover at 12:12pm and suggesting local aircraft land or depart the area beforehand.

They do have small TFRs for college football games and concerts.

Very odd there is no TFR. Thoughts from POA, especially Colorado folks?

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that TFRs are for safety.

They are not - At least, not the sporting event ones.

You see, the NFL, MLB, NCAA, and NASCAR all *really hated* the fact that there were airplanes flying around their venues with advertising on them, and the leagues had no control over it and more importantly, got no money from it. So, they all gathered together and yelled "Terrorists!" at the right time, and now there's no more flying within 5nm and 3000 feet of any of their events... Which, by the way, is not even close to enough for "protection" from anything. A 182 loaded with C4 could be through that TFR into a big kaboom in MUCH less time than anyone could react - That's why the president, who has fighters and/or choppers and AWACS in the air at all times when he travels, gets 18000 feet and 30nm.

But, "Bolder Boulder" obviously doesn't have enough money to buy off politicians, nor do they really need to worry about it much any more since the banner-towers are mostly out of business now, and I'm guessing they probably wouldn't care if someone flew a banner.

While I completely agree with your assessment @flyingcheesehead , the reality around here was that the banner towers mostly didn’t have customers anyway, other than a few bars and a strip club.

Airplane going round and round and round the stadium with free admission to the strip club with baseball ticket stub on the banner, didn’t bother me, but it was kinda boring. A little rough on parents too, I suppose.

“Daddy, what’s the Diamond Cabaret?”

LOL.

Oh, since I moved, I miss Boulder.
"I want to work at Alfalfa's."

You know how much that band absolutely HATES that song now? LOL...

At least about ten years ago, they loathed the thing and wish they'd never written it and hate performing it, at least the last time I heard them talk about it in an interview.

Not sure if they hate it as much as Fred of Cowboy Mouth now hates "Jenny Says", but he's damn funny about it on stage these days. Dude is a wild man anyway. Fun to watch. Well, he won't really let you just watch...

I think Leftover Salmon did the Alfalfa's for a KBCO Studio C cut. I'll have to dig out the old Studio C collection to see which disc has the track.

I think Leftover Salmon did the Alfalfa's for a KBCO Studio C cut. I'll have to dig out the old Studio C collection to see which disc has the track.

They definitely did it in Studio C, just don’t remember if it’s on one of the albums. Have heard the track.

But stupid college football gets them. Not like the Buffs are worth “protecting”. Bahaha.
Maybe it’s a situation where the Buff’s need protection...

Back