No run-up on taxiways

I remember you are a newer pilot so i'll explain #3

Using the phrase "taking the active" is frowned upon. I know you hear people use it all the time, but it is incorrect. How is anyone in the pattern / area supposed to know which way you will be departing? or which runway is active? Here's a scenario which will illustrate how dangerous "taking the active" can be.

Lets say someone makes a radio call while they are a few miles out
"NXXX on a 45 degree entry to the pattern for runway 3"

You don't hear this call as you are performing a run up on the ramp and have not tuned into the CTAF yet.

30 seconds later, you tune up the freq, winds are light so you select runway 21 and announce "taking the active"

The other aircraft just announced runway 3 as the active, so he is assuming you heard him and are departing runway 3. He does not bother to look for you, he is running his gumps check and thinks you will be no factor as he is just getting into the downwind leg. Now you have an airplane departing runway 21, and an airplane setting up to land on runway 3, with neither pilot having a clue anything is amiss.

So, when you are announcing a departure, say the runway number on the CTAF. "NXXX departing runway 21" or similar
Well spoken, Sir.

Yes, if I were to use option #3 I would declare which "active" I was taking.

As to not being on CTAF...that's already handled. I don't move my plane one inch without having my radios on and com 1 tuned into the CTAF (with com 2 on the nearest ASOS). I'm a ham operator as well...I LOVE radios and use them as much as possible. Once I've cllimbed out I switch com 2 to 121.5 for monitoring.

I agree with most folks here that #3 is a far less than optimal solution. But option #1, to do the run-up on the ramp, has its own drawbacks. As others have said, I like to use the taxiing time to let the engine warm up before I start giving it some gas.

#4, if a run-up pad isn't available for that taxiway. Next time I'm at the field, I'd probably run up on the ramp. It's kinda dumb to let you know once you're on the taxiway that you can't do the normal run up in the normal manner, and that the place reserved for it is behind you.

I'm betting that they want you to do your run up at the pad and not enroute to the pad is all. If there's no pad, do it anyway. What they gonna do to you?

Flew down to LUK yesterday and saw a much more reasonable sign at the ground hold:
"No extended or maintenance run-ups on taxiway"
So I just did my usual run-up and departed when I got clearance.

Well spoken, Sir.

Yes, if I were to use option #3 I would declare which "active" I was taking.

As to not being on CTAF...that's already handled. I don't move my plane one inch without having my radios on and com 1 tuned into the CTAF (with com 2 on the nearest ASOS). I'm a ham operator as well...I LOVE radios and use them as much as possible. Once I've cllimbed out I switch com 2 to 121.5 for monitoring.

I agree with most folks here that #3 is a far less than optimal solution. But option #1, to do the run-up on the ramp, has its own drawbacks. As others have said, I like to use the taxiing time to let the engine warm up before I start giving it some gas.

Actually, there is no such thing as an "active" at an uncontrolled field. It is a term used by controllers at towered airports. I know alot of pilots say it, but over time I have learned that other pilots can be the worst source of proper radio technique. That includes Southwest Airlines pilots :wink2:

The one place where I've been that they ask you not to do runups on the taxiway has specific run up blocks (KSUT). Another airport (14A) asks you at one point in the taxiway/ramp to "DO YOUR RUNUP HERE" rather than near the end of the runway for noise concerns with some of the adjacent property.

at one time Sun 'n Fun had a big temporary sign at the west end of 9 that said (basically) "Perform All Run-ups on Heading xxx" positioned on the north side of the parallel taxiway. don't know if they still do (i never needed full length for departure). i think it was like 150 degrees, don't quote me

one of the campgrounds is just the other side of the fence to the south of the parallel taxiway and the event coordinators were trying to address prop blast issues with the sign

needless to say one day i had to run down to aircraft camping at the west end of 9 to locate a plane owner and watched a T-28 givin' her the full run up turned 90 degrees to the taxiway literally facing the sign while a motorhome owner at his 6 clung to his flailing awning support cursing and giving the pilot the one finger salute. the -28 turned and departed before i could reach him

some pilots are clueless

After reading this thread I have drawn the conclusion there are a few folks posting that do not understand the term " Ready on the roll " as in

01C we have a heavy 5 miles out, can you be ready on the roll?
01C Can be ready on the roll.
01C Expedite your take off.

That conversation is often heard at PAE,BFI, and BLI.

They don't want you setting on the run up pads as the heavy rolls by.

After reading this thread I have drawn the conclusion there are a few folks posting that do not understand the term " Ready on the roll " as in

01C we have a heavy 5 miles out, can you be ready on the roll?
01C Can be ready on the roll.
01C Expedite your take off.

That conversation is often heard at PAE,BFI, and BLI.

They don't want you setting on the run up pads as the heavy rolls by.
I am fairly familiar with the scenario you are describing, but I have honestly never actually heard the phrase 'ready on the roll' before. Most contollers I have heard phrase it along the lines of 'can you be ready for an immediate departure?'

Flew down to LUK yesterday and saw a much more reasonable sign at the ground hold:
"No extended or maintenance run-ups on taxiway"
So I just did my usual run-up and departed when I got clearance.

LUK has some heavy maint done on large planes that could really clog the taxiways. There are also places to runup so it's largely a nonissue.

Back