No Rest for the Wicked! To New England...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...in the fall.

I've been back all of 24 hours, and need to visit 6 pesky states to have set foot in all but one state (Alaska). So, I'm planning on a fall trip to ME (has to be Eastport since it's the furthest east), MA, CT, NH, VT, RI. Of course with a stop on the way (back), probably in NY. I know I have to stop in Rochester, NY to visit someone. This won't be an 11/12 day deal like the last one. Probably scoot out of here on a Thursday after work, and then fly back on Monday or Tuesday. So, given that time frame:

Suggestions?

Nashua, NH has an awesome restaurant on field, its called the "Midfield Cafe."

Nantucket, MA is such an awesome airport, it'd be a shame to miss.

Dude - you picked a good time to fly up there. If you can see the fall foliage in New Hampshire from the air, it'll take your breath away, I'm serious.

NickDBrennan said:
Dude - you picked a good time to fly up there. If you can see the fall foliage in New Hampshire from the air, it'll take your breath away, I'm serious.

You know flying in the SW in July with DAs over 10,000 may not have been the smartest thing I did, but even I know to visit NE in the fall. ;)

N2212R said:
Suggestions?

Take longer, and really visit some places in NE and have some fun. Newport, RI is great(beatuiful mansions to see by day, good food in the evening, and fairly decent nighlife), all the Islands (Fishers, Block, Nantuckett, Marthas), head out to Provincetown, fly up into NH and VT, are there any airports on/near Lake Champlain?

One of my aviation ideas is to take 10 days or so and hop around costal NE in the late September timeframe. Good stuff!

Bill Jennings said:
are there any airports on/near Lake Champlain?
Ticonderoga Airport 4B6 at the very south end of Lake Champlain. It is nothing but a newly paved runway and a parking area. No services at all. Lake George is also very close at that point.

-Skip

N2212R said:
...in the fall.

I've been back all of 24 hours, and need to visit 6 pesky states to have set foot in all but one state (Alaska). So, I'm planning on a fall trip to ME (has to be Eastport since it's the furthest east), MA, CT, NH, VT, RI. Of course with a stop on the way (back), probably in NY. I know I have to stop in Rochester, NY to visit someone. This won't be an 11/12 day deal like the last one. Probably scoot out of here on a Thursday after work, and then fly back on Monday or Tuesday. So, given that time frame:

Suggestions?
Go to Machias, not eastport, and rent a car from the Ford Dealership. Got to go to Campobello, Rooseveldt's childhood summer home and see how the iron age barons lived. Can't get a car at Eastport, and it's SO UP AND DOWN you'd have to be Lance Armstrong to make the bicycle trip from Eastport to Campobello. Not to be missed.

Places I've enjoyed:
Jaffrey, NH (AFN) -- there is a popular ice cream restaurant on the field
Wiscassett, ME (IWI) -- nice people, will let you borrow FBO car to go get lobster dinner
Lebanon, NH (LEB) -- all-around nice airport, scenic, FBO with cozy fireplace in winter

Too bad I'll be gone by the time the leaves are turnin' and you're adventuring out here... but hey when it comes time to step that foot in Alaska, you'd better give me a call!

--Kath

kath said:
Places I've enjoyed:

How could I have forgotten Jaffrey!!! That place is awesome. One of the most unique destinations (aside from Gastons) I've ever been to.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
You know flying in the SW in July with DAs over 10,000 may not have been the smartest thing I did, but even I know to visit NE in the fall. ;)

EdFred-

You have a great turn of phrase. Thanks for sharing it.

kath said:
Places I've enjoyed:
Wiscassett, ME (IWI) -- nice people, will let you borrow FBO car to go get lobster dinner
That's "lobstah". And be sure to call Harley when/before you go.

-Skip

I'm partial to RUT in VT, but my parents live right under the flight pattern. Good services. If you want a unique little place to go, go to Mt. Snow. See my writeup on hundred dollar hamburger about a BandB stay my wife and I made there in '04. Pool table in the FBO.

In Maine, I really enjoyed the lobster at BHB. Really pretty views too!

Jim G

Skip Miller said:
That's "lobstah". And be sure to call Harley when/before you go.

Yeah; and about 2sm from Wiscasset Airport IWI is Cooleen's Clam Barn.
Really good: husband and wife team. They relocated to Maine from New York City after he was put out of work. He was a stock broker in a certain very tall building, if you get my drift.

HR

For Connecticut - try DXR (Danbury) - good on-field restaurant and several nearby chain restaurants as well as a very nice shopping mall!

Sal
N2729V

Back