No-politics zone

Jay, you seem like a nice guy and 100% sincere. But do you really expect the MC to control your eyeballs and your left mouse button?

If you want to avoid politics of any kind, then you will have to avoid the Hanger Talk Forum as much as the Spin Zone. Only you can control where you navigate.

Hanger Talk: Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise. Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

Spin Zone: The Spin Zone "The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature.
Actually, if you want to avoid politics, you will need a break from the human race :p Even the moderating decisions of the Pilots of America staff are "political."

Edit: I see now that a discussion in another thread (which I haven't apparently read) started this discussion, so maybe I am operating out of context. But I will say that it is my understanding that (unlike at the Red Board) non-aviation related topics have never been verboten anywhere on here.

Last edited:
Reminder -- per the forum rules, non-aviation politics still go in the SZ. Only politics related to aviation are allowed elsewhere. Unless it's something like candidates' positions on pending aviation legislation like the FAA Reauthorization Bill, politics is not aviation-related.
Spin Zone description said:
Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion are automatically "Spin Zone" topics

Jay,
You can always put your chief offender on the ignore list. Then you might have half a chance of not seeing his posts. But I know what you mean. It would be really nice if SPIN ZONE material stayed there.

Jay,
You can always put your chief offender on the ignore list. Then you might have half a chance of not seeing his posts. But I know what you mean. It would be really nice if SPIN ZONE material stayed there.
Spin Zone material does stay there, or it gets moved there by the moderators. Jay, however, wants to redefine Spin Zone to include ALL political posts, regardless of aviation content.

The AOPA forums site uses the same framework (whatever you call it) as this one, and has incorporated a "thread ignore" feature in the thread tools menu. The site is much more user friendly as a result. One click and you never see it again. When combined with the ability to ignore anybody whose stuff you already know you don't want to read, it's a perfect deal.

In my case, I could care less about the marathon nit-pick arguments about the FAR's and the high-wing low-wing wars. Nobody will ever win, and the only time an opinion really matters is when you are in the line of fire or buying one for yourself in which case your opinion is the only one that counts. One push of the button and the thread is gone forever. Wish they had that here.

Jay,

Spin Zone material does stay there, or it gets moved there by the moderators. Jay, however, wants to redefine Spin Zone to include ALL political posts, regardless of aviation content.
As you can see from this thread, I'm not alone in wishing the politics limited to the Spin Zone. I'm not trying to redefine things; I was operating under the apparently mistaken impression that the bit about "this is where the controversial stuff goes) included all politics. Obviously, I was wrong.

As it stands, however, I'll probably be limiting my participation in any forum where political posts appear. I'm here for aviation, not politics.

I'm just trying to avoid politics on here. Aviation is my refuge from politics right now.

What's funny to me is that you're politic'ing here to avoid politics. :) :cheerswine: All I mean by that is that politics are complex subjects, and include more than elections. Would be hard to avoid them entirely in any group of diverse individuals....

By the way, I apologize personally to you if the thread I started about AOPA's positions is what caused this angst.

Last edited:
I'd go so far as to say there is virtually nothing in aviation that is not affected by politics. From TFRs over Crawford to TFRs over Disneyland to required right-hand patterns and restricted use during night hours at some airports for noise abatement to ridiculous fees at some airports when they couldn't outright ban the little aluminum pilots. For most of us, user fees is a big issue outside of the actual flying. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has fought to have an IAP eliminated because they "don't want those dangerous little airplanes flying over their house so low in bad weather."

It's simply part of reality in aviation. To outright ignore the association is paramount to one saying they do not care if their privileges to fly are slowly being eroded.

Hahahahaha...heck even my post, which did NOT name a single candidate (and could have been interpreted as being about either candidate) was deleted from THIS thread and it was a direct response to the OP as to why politics is creeping into every post!

Too funny.

I'm really certain we've never ever said "no partisan politics" outside of SZ, but instead have said "no non-aviation politics", so please bear in mind, not coming out in favor of one party or another does not make it ok to be outside of SZ.

Back