No more MOSH(pit)KOSH

I've often wondered why they don't have two different arrival corridors, with one going to the 18/36s, and the other to 09/27. No matter how many waypoints you put on the arrival, you have every bit of VFR traffic converging on one point.

That's not the worst idea in the world... ;) Really, you should have homebuilt, vintage, etc going to 18/36 and the rest of us with boring metal certified planes going to 9/27. Unfortunately, I don't think the numbers there are quite even, so it would make the 9/27 arrival even more packed than Fisk is now. In addition, you would need another team of controllers to staff the new gate, and those controllers would have to send a lot more planes around and back to the gate since they wouldn't have the option of sending two planes that are too close together (and/or have dissimilar performance) to the two different runways.

Creating a longer inbound line is a fail. You're always going to have a gate. Moving it farther away from the field just moves the join farther from the field and doubles the amount of "pseudo formation" necessary for the arrival. There is no process i can think of where a longer line is better.

I was going to agree with you, but then I noticed the wording that they want to have a new gate farther out than *Fisk*. That hopefully means, as depicted in the link if you click on it (https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...-/media/EE32D7082D3746E9BE714515E8CA6A2E.ashx) that they'll have some additional controllers at Ripon who can ensure that planes are more evenly spaced prior to Fisk.

Unfortunately, that also means that the jerks who cut in line after the start of the procedure just have more room to cut in line. IMO, they really should have some controllers back at the starting point, whether that's Ripon or Fisk, who are off to the side and can see type aircraft and tail number - Or better yet, develop an app for them to communicate with controllers farther down the line so that those controllers know what's coming in, and they can give instructions by tail number, which would drastically reduce confusion at Fisk (and even between Ripon and Fisk) and then maybe they could take the planes that weren't observed at the earlier point and send them away *AND* give them a violation.

The real fix is to better utilize the runways for arrivals. That means Oshkosh experienced controllers effectively using the relaxed spacing rules to put a lot of aircraft on the ground. Also, minimize runway downtime for military fly-by's and such on the peak arrival days. Last year, when Bryan and hundreds of others were in an endless hold, the runways were not busy at all. ATC turned a problem into a big problem by restricting inbounds when they should have put the pedal to the metal.

This!

While changes are welcome this year will be complete havock from people following the old procedure.

Yep. Sigh. :frown2:

I was watching the arrivals this last year, it did seem like there was a lot of wasted runway time when no one was landing. Dozens if not hundreds of planes at Fisk, but not a single plane landing. The Fisk controllers were spinning everyone instead of trying to let at least a few through, which just compounded the problem. I'm not sure why they were doing that, if they were simply overwhelmed or if someone else was telling them to do it. I think there needs to be a review and possibly a retraining of the controllers to ensure more traffic is getting through.

I actually ran into one of the controllers this year that I'd talked to the previous year and asked him about it. The increased spacing was due to runways being "shut down" repeatedly for mass arrivals, the Bone flyover and other military stuff, and turbine/warbird arrivals. It sounds like they're going to do something about that - They certainly shouldn't have had the Bone show up outside of the airshow time, and I think making the mass arrivals stick to their original time will help as well.

I think the problem is that Fisk is too close the 36 Base leg.

Huh?

Usually, the problem on the Fisk transition is because the airport is saturated for some reason (mass arrival on 36, accident on 27, whatever). The problem is there's no sane flow control going into Ripon-Fisk. The Rush lane and other holding patterns are disasters and they have NEVER EVER WORKED.

Agreed. But, here's where I think the new procedure linked above *might* help, if they do it right. It sounds like the "bail-out" route to KFLD will give them potential for a "giant holding pattern" from Waupun to Ripon to Fisk to KOSH to KFLD and back to Waupun... Though it seems that it'd be best if there's a bail-out route directly from Fisk as well, to avoid getting more traffic right at KOSH. It'll certainly help space the planes out better than the mistake-around-the-lake holds. IMO, they should keep the Rush Lake hold from Fisk as a shorter pattern so that if two planes arrive too close together, they can send one around Rush Lake and back to Fisk and hopefully squeeze them back in rather than making them go all the way back around via KFDL and Waupun, since that is really going to make people mad!

The whole thing still looks like a total cluster. Step 1 should be mandated online completion of a training course and enforcement of the requirement.

A lot of us have been saying that for a long time - Institute a $1,000 landing fee at KOSH, waived when you show your copy of the NOTAM.

Unless there is ground saturation the airport and EAA HAVE to figure out how to allow the aircraft off the runway as quickly and safely as possible.

The real problem is just getting people to follow the NOTAM, and exit the side of the runway as soon as able. There's always gotta be some jerk who slows down to their "fast walk" taxi speed and crawls to the next paved taxiway. That's not how it should be done...

Utilizing ADS-B and NextGen technology would allow them to keep some arrivals open more than they may have had in the past.

It'll be interesting to see what proportion of planes arriving at Oshkosh 2020 are ADS-B equipped. I would not be surprised if we start to see separate arrivals for ADS-B aircraft and non-equipped aircraft. It's much easier to space yourself out if you have ADS-B.

It is absolutely not my fault that some numbnuts didn't follow the rules for any number of reasons.

If you care whose fault something is, don't fly into Oshkosh. This whole crazy mess works because everyone works together. If you end up too close to another plane and Fisk Approach sends you back to the beginning, just do it with a smile. They can't possibly add "assign blame and direct traffic accordingly" to their list of responsibilities. And if you get mad, you're not going to be flying well and you greatly increase the chances you'll be in an accident. Look at it this way: Some jerk gave you an excuse to fly for a few more minutes. Be thankful.

Why should MVFR be an issue? 1500' and 3 miles and they are gonna turn hundreds of aircraft away? People have been flying MVFR to Oshkosh for decades (I know I have). MVFR isn't a problem, never has been.

Disagree... I've been on the Fisk arrival with a 1500-foot ceiling, flying at 1800 MSL (1000 AGL) and 90 knots up the arrival, and had a Cirrus decide that they could fly the 2300 MSL, 135-knot arrival at about 1830 MSL because of the clouds. :mad::incazzato: Frankly, the 2300 MSL arrival is abused and I think it should probably be restricted to twins, because there are too many people who use it because they can, not because they have to (which is what the NOTAM specifies - you are "unable" to maintain a speed as slow as 90 knots).

The holds have NEVER EVER EVER EVER worked. Green Lake / Rush Lake / Spin in place. NEVER. Better to just tell people to go park it at some other field and wait it out on the ground.

Amen. The holds are only useful for very short, temporary closures. If there's an accident or the field closes for any other reason, just get on the ground somewhere. If traffic arrives at a perfect half-mile trail, it only takes about 20 minutes to saturate both holds.

If they get overloaded during MVFR conditions @1500', they will not have the option of putting planes in the published holds

Why not? The holds are to be flown at 1000 AGL and 90 knots just like the arrival. If you can fly the arrival, you can fly the hold.

Personally, I think the mass arrivals should happen before Saturday.

Saturday is OK. Sunday is not.

I think a practical solution is to have planes arrive at one of several local airports and contact each in turn and have them launch (faster planes first) and fly direct to the preferred runway. It would give pilots on long flights a break and it would distribute the arrivals to many airports before grouping them into OSH. The OSH controllers would know how many and what types are coming and can schedule ground release to ensure a smooth arrival. Each airport would need a ground coordinator to line the planes up and release them.

What about the H/P guys?

In their case, the weather is too low for the arrival as well, so they're stuck.

That said, the majority of the traffic on the high arrival should not be on the high arrival. It's loaded with Cirri, Bonanzas, etc. that fly just fine at 90 knots, but whose owners must think they're Hot $#!+. ("Sir, are you aware that the high arrival is only for planes unable to safely maintain 90 knots?" "Yeah. My plane can't safely maintain 90 knots." "Why not? It stalls at 59!" "Yeah, but it has to lift my ego.")

I can't think of a single single that can't safely and easily maintain 90 knots, yet the high arrival is generally full of them... It should really be restricted to twins with a Vyse of at least, say, 85 knots.

3 years ago on Sunday, when it was the previous “worst case” until this past year, the scariest thing I saw was 3 different twins descending out of the clouds in the middle of the low arrival. I seriously don’t know what those guys were thinking.

3 years ago on Sunday, when it was the previous “worst case” until this past year, the scariest thing I saw was 3 different twins descending out of the clouds in the middle of the low arrival. I seriously don’t know what those guys were thinking.

Yeah, you're supposed to use an offset when you do that. ;-)

Did you see all 3 of those on one pass from Ripon > Fisk > Osh, or...?

In their case, the weather is too low for the arrival as well, so they're stuck.

That said, the majority of the traffic on the high arrival should not be on the high arrival. It's loaded with Cirri, Bonanzas, etc. that fly just fine at 90 knots, but whose owners must think they're Hot $#!+. ("Sir, are you aware that the high arrival is only for planes unable to safely maintain 90 knots?" "Yeah. My plane can't safely maintain 90 knots." "Why not? It stalls at 59!" "Yeah, but it has to lift my ego.")

I can't think of a single single that can't safely and easily maintain 90 knots, yet the high arrival is generally full of them... It should really be restricted to twins with a Vyse of at least, say, 85 knots.
Some folks probably look at it like ‘Hey, I can fly 135kts so I’m going up top’. Other motivating factor was they were bringing the H/P guys in from the Green Lake hold first.

I couldn't count how many RV guys were in the high arrival this year. While the Venture, Legacy, SX300, and such will fly 90 knots it's not very safe doing so. To go that slow we have to have the gear and flaps out which then creates such a nose high condition that you can't see in front of you.

I couldn't count how many RV guys were in the high arrival this year. While the Venture, Legacy, SX300, and such will fly 90 knots it's not very safe doing so. To go that slow we have to have the gear and flaps out which then creates such a nose high condition that you can't see in front of you.
Green Lake was so bad that even my Cherokee 140 was mushing along with a couple notches of flap. Eventually I broke off and gave up my position because i was out of airspeed and up close and personal the with rudders of the planes cutting me off from the C-140 I was in trail of

Maybe the ATC guys should clear the lower track at Green Lake hold FIRST. That might keep those who can maintain 90kts from going up top

I couldn't count how many RV guys were in the high arrival this year.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. 70 knots is my bail-out speed on the arrival in the RV-6. 135 is for the Lancair IV's, Swearingens (sp?), and others which can't comfortably fly 90. There's no excuse for RV types being in the high arrival.

I’ve talked to plenty of people who say they go up top because there aren’t as many planes up there. Some more carrot for being down low would help.

I’ve talked to plenty of people who say they go up top because there aren’t as many planes up there. Some more carrot for being down low would help.

The rules are there for a purpose. At some point the high and low lines merge and having extra traffic up high makes that more difficult.

The rules are there for a purpose. At some point the high and low lines merge and having extra traffic up high makes that more difficult.
Same page. I just believe carrot is better than stick in this situation.

Typical GA. We moan about the lack of people, and when we get them we complain about the quality of the company. Lol. :D

So, I'm gonna throw another idea out there, based on my conversation with the controller this summer at OSH.

He said that on Sunday, one point of difficulty was that they had a lot of planes coming in on both the Turbine/Warbird arrival (from the southeast) and the Fisk arrival (from the southwest). They were using the 36 end of the 18/36s, and he said it was really helpful when one of the Turbine/Warbird guys said "We can take the skinny" (ie, 36R, aka taxiway A the rest of the year). Otherwise, they have traffic converging and/or crossing over on right/left bases to the 36s, and it's much more likely that the traffic coming from the left can take the right runway and vice versa.

So, at least one pain point would be alleviated if we reversed the Fisk and Turbine arrivals. Turbines could go to 36L, everyone else could go to 36R and use 36L when nobody else was using it, without that conflict.

The rules are there for a purpose.

Yup, they are. But what good are they if people ignore them? There's no punishment for doing so. Have there ever been any FAA enforcement actions for people doing really stupid stuff at Oshkosh?

Yup, they are. But what good are they if people ignore them? There's no punishment for doing so. Have there ever been any FAA enforcement actions for people doing really stupid stuff at Oshkosh?

I doubt it. I've always been a proponent of a policy that miscreants should be tracked down after landing. If they can't produce a copy of the NOTAM, the FAA should be encouraged to put the hammer down. Mistakes are one thing, willful ignorance is another.

Last edited:
Back