No more helo flying for a while. Sigh...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Our R22 is getting its wings clipped (so to speak) this afternoon, and the remains sent out to the Robinson factory for replacement under a SB. We'll be without it for 5 weeks or so...

John, who is one of my partners in the R22, and I took a joy ride for one last time. He flew part of the time so I could get some pictures and vice versa.

The first shows the estate of Du Pont founder Irenee Du Pont (sp?), next is a corn maze in which the top part reads (with difficulty) "farmers feed the world", and the last was after I kicked John out so he could grab a picture of yours truly in a hover (in true Robinson style, notice the aft CG when an R22 is flown solo).

Maybe all of this is good -- it will make me spend some time in my Archer :dunno:

RotaryWingBob said:
Our R22 is getting its wings clipped (so to speak) this afternoon, and the remains sent out to the Robinson factory for replacement under a SB. We'll be without it for 5 weeks or so...

John, who is one of my partners in the R22, and I took a joy ride for one last time. He flew part of the time so I could get some pictures and vice versa.

The first shows the estate of Du Pont founder Irenee Du Pont (sp?), next is a corn maze in which the top part reads (with difficulty) "farmers feed the world", and the last was after I kicked John out so he could grab a picture of yours truly in a hover (in true Robinson style, notice the aft CG when an R22 is flown solo).

Maybe all of this is good -- it will make me spend some time in my Archer :dunno:

You make that hover stuff look easy. Sorry about the bird but now you get to fly like the rest of us. You might find you like it more.

Bob. Did you know about the rotor SB beforehand or is htis something new? Too bad, that's a long time to be away from something you really enjoy. Is renting an R22 a possibility? Well, like you said the Archer will be glad.

Sorry to hear 'bout your problem Bob. It's never fun to pay for all the benefits of flying execept avgas while the plane is down--been there. Hope you get your bird back up soon.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

silver-eagle said:
You make that hover stuff look easy. Sorry about the bird but now you get to fly like the rest of us. You might find you like it more.
Could be! I was not trying to make a point about which was better...

Anthony said:
Bob. Did you know about the rotor SB beforehand or is htis something new? Too bad, that's a long time to be away from something you really enjoy. Is renting an R22 a possibility? Well, like you said the Archer will be glad.
Yeah, Anthony, it was issued a few months ago...

And there is an R22 here for rent...

Dave Siciliano said:
Sorry to hear 'bout your problem Bob. It's never fun to pay for all the benefits of flying execept avgas while the plane is down--been there. Hope you get your bird back up soon.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS
Thanks! It's like parting from a friend! We knew this was coming, but...

Bob as you said before best to take advantage of the Robinson offer of Discounted blades while a SB rather than have to buy full priced blades after it becomes a AD. Enjoy the Archer for now the R22 will be back before you know it.

Hang in there. Stach put out the work on that AD last year on the Babes Board. A friend of mine leases a R22 for aero photos that he and his partner take and sell. They seem to do well with that and also supplement by using the R22 to dry cheery's up in Washington State while on the tree after a hard rain. They make big bucks being on call for around 3 month doing that. What do you use your R22 for?

Anthony said:
Anthony, the SB came out last winter as I recall, and gave owners until 12/1/05 to take advantage of a discount on the blades. The discount varies according to the age of the helicopter -- in our case we are getting a $24K set of blades for 4K.

It's a hedge in a way. Our concern was that Robinson might do an AD for it in the future with no dicsount. The SB is mostly the result of some crashes in Australia which involved salt air corrosion and high G ops (cattle herding), neither of which apply to us, but...

sere said:
Hang in there. Stach put out the work on that AD last year on the Babes Board. A friend of mine leases a R22 for aero photos that he and his partner take and sell. They seem to do well with that and also supplement by using the R22 to dry cheery's up in Washington State while on the tree after a hard rain. They make big bucks being on call for around 3 month doing that. What do you use your R22 for?
We all use it for part 91 joyrides :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
We all use it for part 91 joyrides :yes:

It is a fun bird to fly. I was able to fly it for about 30 minutes at least straight and level. First time for a rotary wing and it is sure a hand full compared to fixed wing. I see why you enjoy it.

Back