No medical certificate, no insurance !

schomburg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dick Schomburg
For several years I've maintained an AOPA renter's liability insurance policy, which recently came up for renewal. On a hunch, I wrote to them and described my present situation: Starting insulin (tonight!!) but wish to stay proficient and IR current by flying with others (CFI's, CFII's, and appropriately rated friends) who would serve as PIC on each flight, while I log PIC time as sole manipulator. (There's a nearby thread on this.) This would be for a limited period until applying for and receiving a Special Issuance, possibly nine months.

The insurance agency politely told me that without a valid medical certificate, the policy would not provide protection.

Not really surprised, but wondering if there's some way to stay insured while trying to stay sharp under these circumstances ...

Thanks!
Dick Schomburg
Hillsboro, Oregon

If you don't have a medical, then you can't act as PIC. So you would have to have a qualified pilot, or better yet, a CFI/CFI-IA on board with you to act as PIC. At this point, they become the acting PIC, assume all responsibility for the flight, and therefore should be responsible for any insurance issues. I know that what should happen and what does happen aren't always the same thing, however.

Right, that's the way I understand it also. But not all other pilots or instructors are willing to take on that financial liability of beng PIC. My CFII is one of those, having had a bad previous experience in some form.

This was an individual policy of mine, separate from the insurance that we four 182P owners have in place. But that main policy does not allow naming anyone else, however well qualified, to be PIC. We're looking into having it amended.

Thanks,
Dick

schomburg said:
Right, that's the way I understand it also. But not all other pilots or instructors are willing to take on that financial liability of beng PIC. My CFII is one of those, having had a bad previous experience in some form.
If your CFII is not willing to be PIC, and you don't have a medical, you need to find a CFII who is willing, because your CFII *WILL* be PIC if he flies with you while you don't have a medical, whether he wants to be or not.

Or go to a new flight school, and tell them you've never flown before, and would like to learn. Then wow them with your fast learning ability and natural flying skills!
:D

schomburg said:
For several years I've maintained an AOPA renter's liability insurance policy, which recently came up for renewal. On a hunch, I wrote to them and described my present situation: Starting insulin (tonight!!) but wish to stay proficient and IR current by flying with others (CFI's, CFII's, and appropriately rated friends) who would serve as PIC on each flight, while I log PIC time as sole manipulator. (There's a nearby thread on this.) This would be for a limited period until applying for and receiving a Special Issuance, possibly nine months.

The insurance agency politely told me that without a valid medical certificate, the policy would not provide protection.

Not really surprised, but wondering if there's some way to stay insured while trying to stay sharp under these circumstances ...

Look into homeowners and umbrella liability policies. You want one that excludes private aviation only when acting as a flight crew. Have a lawyer read the fine print, but it should be possible to find. Remember, without a medical you are a passenger. You have the same liability as Ron's dog when Ron lets it fly the plane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back