No Kidding: ADS-B Deadline of Jan. 1, 2020, is Firm

BGF_Yankee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
BGF_Yankee
(After AvWeb's stunt...lol)
(FAA Extends ADS-B Mandate To 2040)

We have a sense of humor, too, but an April Fool’s joke that the Federal Aviation Administration is extending the ADS-B deadline is just that.

As stated in the final rule published with industry input in May 2010, all aircraft flying in designated controlled airspace – generally the same busy airspace where transponders are currently required – must be equipped with ADS-B Out avionics by Jan. 1, 2020. Only aircraft that fly in uncontrolled airspace, and aircraft without electrical systems, such as balloons and gliders, are exempt from the mandate.

Those who have already equipped understand that ADS-B is transforming the nation’s airspace by providing more precision and reliability than the current radar system, enhancing safety and increasing situational awareness.

Time is running out. There are only 21 months left until the deadline. If you have any questions about equipage – whether you need to or not, what equipment to get, etc. – please see the FAA’s Equip ADS-B website. For information about the transformational technology, visit the ADS-B website.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=90008

Paul got some serious heat :d:d

This may have been answered before in anoher thread but what happenes to the price of all those airplanes that do not upgrade before the deadline. WOuld oyu anticipate a decrease in pricing, leading to a buyers market?

My thought is that any chance of getting any equipment put in for the first year after the deadline will be almost non-existant because of the backlog of committments. Does this render the airplane without the upgrades unable to fly?

This may have been answered before in anoher thread but what happenes to the price of all those airplanes that do not upgrade before the deadline. WOuld oyu anticipate a decrease in pricing, leading to a buyers market?

My thought is that any chance of getting any equipment put in for the first year after the deadline will be almost non-existant because of the backlog of committments. Does this render the airplane without the upgrades unable to fly?

depending on where you fly... ADSB might not even be required

The fact that this had to be explained to people (pilots) is pretty sad.

Agreed, but I almost fell for it too! lol

Not unable to fly...just unable to fly in designated airspace. I may look for a twin on January 2nd, 2020 ;)

I will be interested to see how do they get to wire with nav lights that u can switch off whenever u want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, you'd just switch it on if you want to be compliant, no? Seems easy enough. You'd have the option of stealth mode as a bonus.

Back