No GPS!?!

NoBShere

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NoBShere
yesterday was nice day for flying in California so I thought I would go for a short XC just for fun. Did the normal flight planning and had a paper sectional with me. Since the rental has GPS, I use it. On way back from Oakdale (Central Valley), I tried to plug in the waypoints and it just kept showing me next to the ocean. After a few minutes, I gave up and went old school, not abacus/sundial/sextant old school, but paper chart, flight plan and pilotage, you know do pilot stuff. To be honest, I normally use all the tools available, it was just interesting to lose a normal tool. I never felt lost and my planning was pretty good as far as time. Wind correction was a non issue not necessarily due to my superb pre flight planning but it was just a smooth air day.

I used to think I was overly conservative but, now I think I'm just prepared. Btw, is there some step I was missing to get the gps (garmin 650) to show my current location, it always just knew where I was in the past.

My guess <and the most probable cause> is that it was operator error.

It would have been interesting to have a look at the information shown on the GPS Status page:

Screenshot from 2019-02-24 13-31-15.png

It would have been interesting to have a look at the information shown on the GPS Status page:

View attachment 71974
Was asking someone on chat about this not long ago. Anyone know if there's a display similar to this or at least the data in it available from a GDL-39 and Garmin Pilot?

Nauga,
frequently positionally uncertain

Was asking someone on chat about this not long ago. Anyone know if there's a display similar to this or at least the data in it available from a GDL-39 and Garmin Pilot?

Nauga,
frequently positionally uncertain

In Garmin Pilot go to settings then data services when connected to the 39? Dunno if it’ll just show connected or have more info.

Back