No Good Deed Goes Un-Punished

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I was return from the airport after a nice evening flight when I noticed a large dog laying right next to the road. His head was up, but the rest of him down so I was thinking the worst. I drove by for alittle while then thought about my dogs and how if it were my dog I would want someone to stop. It is getting dark and the thought of him laying there dying all night was just too much for my conscience to bare, so I turned around and stopped about 30 feet away, put my flashers on and got out.

Now right about now I'm thinking what a nice guy I am for trying to help a hurt animal, how my many dogs over the years, RIP, are looking down at me thinking I'm still good Alpha male dog.

Well as the title suggests this story gets crazy. The dog (s) are just feeding on road kill and they just figured out I was there and went nuts chasing me! Now I'm on a dead run back to my truck with 2 LARGE PIT BULLS chasing my sorry, never to be concerned again, butt! I barely get the door closed before Fido gets to me. They are both snarling and barking like I just stole their dinner. :yikes:

No more Mr. Nice guy for me!

The moral of the story,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited:
Never approach unknown dogs like that without a pistol already pulled for such an incident. Glad you got back to the truck safely as it could have been ugly.

or, perhaps, never approach unknown dogs without driving by again slowly and checking out the situation. :)

glad you're ok, perhaps a phone call to the local animal control is in order.

I was camping in Northern Wisconsin on the Red Cliff Indian Reservation when I drove past "La Petit Cache" a little private airfield. The sign said "beer, wine, spirits, airstrip" so I had to check it out.

There was a cabin/tavern with a large but friendly looking hound dog posted out front. No one else in sight.

I carefully opened the drivers side door to see how he'd react, I was really debating if I should get out.

The dog lunged at the open door, and with me yelping a scream at the top of my lungs climbed over me into the passenger side of the truck. It really wanted to go for a ride.

Inside I met a fantastic old guy, who showed me pictures from their regular trips to Alaska in the cubs. Instamatic quality shots taken from airplane windows that you could have put on the cover of a National Geographic.

When I see dogs on the side of the road I normally stop and then take them back to their owners (if marked or if I know them) or wherever else is appropriate.

Pit bull, rottweiler, whatever. It's all in how you deal with them.

One hopes you used your truck to put those monsters out of their and our misery. To have such dangerous animals roaming about unchecked is the height of foolishness.

Last edited:
Let's not forget, folks, that in most communities there is an animal control office that can be called... they can deal with such cases, even feral pit bulls. It's not very wise to approach any breed of dog that is in such a state (abandoned and hungry), unless you are trained and equipped- eve the little guys can give you a nasty bite, and they could be rabid for all you know.
I've seen quite a few strays on the street, and usually will try to get them to come to me, so I can check for ID. If they don't, I'll back off and call the animal control people. Surprisingly, even with the large number of attack and guard breeds kept in this city and not properly trained or secured, I've never been chased or bitten. But then again, I've never disturbed a wild pack feeding on roadkill... that's risky business.

You can also make a call if you see a dog that is neglected or abused, and they might actually be able to do something about it- I've had some success with that, alerting them to "guard dogs" like the Rottweiler pup that used to be left out all night at a car dealership near my home, even in winter, on a chain just long enough for him to sit down. Not sure what became of him, but a couple of days after I called it in, he was gone.

If you have no success with the local authorities, try Googling for a independent group- there are national networks of dog-lovers, usually dealing with specific breeds, who have the resources to assist stray or abused dogs.

I had my Leatherman with me! :yikes: :rofl:

The only animal control we have around here (rural county) is "self imposed", and usually involves sever lead poisoning. The dogs had collars on and looked to be heading home to a local farm house. I'll look up the owner and have a talk with them.

Last edited:
Please do. Someone could get seriously hurt; that's just a tragedy waiting to happen.

I'm just impressed that you could outrun them! You must be in better shape than me ;)

I'm just impressed that you could outrun them! You must be in better shape than me ;)

They looked hungry! :eek:

The dogs may have been just reacting to protect their "territory", but I was not gonna stick around to see if I re-train them. One dog can be buffaloed, two is a hunting pack.

Last edited:
One hopes you used your truck to put those monsters out of their and our misery. To have such dangerous animals roaming about unchecked is the height of foolishness.

You're right. The humans who are supposed to be responsible for those animals should be run over. I'd be glad to take the dogs and rehabilitate them, as I've done for several other pit bulls, rottweilers, etc. I stick to the breeds that others are afraid to touch because "They're evil!" My rottweiler, who's as dangerous as a marshmellow, is a good example of such a case.

Animals that require rehabilitation are caused by bad humans. It's important to separate that from the animals themselves.

Animals that require rehabilitation are caused by bad humans. It's important to separate that from the animals themselves.

Excellent point. It just seems that a lot of bad humans are attracted to Rottys and pit bulls, some kind of wannabe badass thing, I guess.

Trapper John

You're right. The humans who are supposed to be responsible for those animals should be run over. I'd be glad to take the dogs and rehabilitate them, as I've done for several other pit bulls, rottweilers, etc. I stick to the breeds that others are afraid to touch because "They're evil!" My rottweiler, who's as dangerous as a marshmellow, is a good example of such a case.

Well stated, Ted.

That was my thought, too!!!

No such thing as a bad dog. Rottys and pit bulls have very sweet dispositions naturally.

Excellent point. It just seems that a lot of bad humans are attracted to Rottys and pit bulls, some kind of wannabe badass thing, I guess.

Pretty much. My rottie is a beautiful dog, but I can fully understand why he would seem imposing to most. However his biggest threat to you is that he'll lick you to death. As Michael said:

No such thing as a bad dog. Rottys and pit bulls have very sweet dispositions naturally.

Hopefully he was serious, because it's true.

You and Cesar, eh? Good work. The dogs aren't born to be bad, they're either trained or allowed to act that way.

I did learn a lot from Cesar (although I disagree with him on some points). However, that's pretty much it.

On the other side of the possibilities - my family and I were driving on Nantucket one day when we spotted an old Golden retriever wandering around. We stopped, and like any good Golden, the dog came up and was thrilled to see us. The dog had clearly recently had major surgery as one side was shaved and the stitches were still in and the wound was suppurating a bit. So I found a collar, called the number and left voice mail. Then we called the animal shelter. Nantucket being the small community it is, they knew the dog and found a neighbor who came out to meet us and take custody of the dog. The dog was 4 miles from home, and apparently had gotten out of his house where he'd been left to recover earlier in the day (with food, water, and this neighbor checking in). So the dog got back to it's owner (which is good, because otherwise he was coming back to Virginia with us!), my daughter got a nice life lesson, and we all got the happy glow that comes from doing a good thing.

So, Geico, don't let this incident throw you off being a nice guy. Just be a little more careful next time.

One time I was with a friend on a bicycle ride and he decided he would do a good deed and get a turtle out of the middle of the road. The turtle jumped up and tried to bite him! Neither one of us had seen a snapping turtle before...

He finally got the turtle out of the road by getting it to bite on a (big) stick so he could drag it off to the side.

True enough... but they are powerful canines, after all, and some moments require great caution. Just the other day my Peg, who is a 3-legged 14-yr-old Rotty mix who normally seems to be nothing but a big furry bag of marshmallow fluff and only shows very mild dominant behavior at home when other dogs visit, got into a little territory dispute with a visiting friend's young, hyperactive Boxer. Both owners present, food nearby, you know how it goes. A clash of packs, as it were. I was alert, and they were initially both pretty calm, but some doggie psych-out flared up in the blink of a eye. Look away for a moment and you will miss some important body language.

Usually she might just get a little huffy, "words" are exchanged, the other dog backs off, and Peg just forgets about it, but this time I had to get between them (the pup was persistent, and Peg is getting cranky in her old age, I guess).

Ol' Peg was still snapping reflexively, and she got my thigh. Ouch. No blood drawn, but I still have quite a bruise from that. A young healthy rottweiler can exert something like 300PSI with those jaws, and even a old-timer with good teeth can hurt you... gotta respect that.

a snapping turtle
Snappers are nasty critters. Once a year the yearlings go off to look for a pond of their own and cross roads fields and schoolyards in the search. Bad things happen when people who don't know what a snapper can do attempt to intervene.

Teach your kids to keep a safe distance. They are not dangerous if you know how to handle them, but damn, Howdy! There ought to be a federal warning label on the shells! (j/k)

-Skip

One time I was with a friend on a bicycle ride and he decided he would do a good deed and get a turtle out of the middle of the road. The turtle jumped up and tried to bite him! Neither one of us had seen a snapping turtle before...

He finally got the turtle out of the road by getting it to bite on a (big) stick so he could drag it off to the side.

We've had 2-3 cases where a snapping turtle came out of the lake and slowly crossed the highway to our cul-de-sac. That's a trip of of like 700 feet. One guy who had been driving rang my doorbell asking for box to hold one who was right in the middle of the lane. Another driver just grabbed him.

One got as far as the house 3 doors further away than me. The neighbor lassoed him and hauled him in a laundry basket.

Besides snapping, they whizz all over you. You'd think the guy would just pull all in until we let him go.

Back