No georeferenced approach plates today

Artiom

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artiom
I was doing mockup IR check ride with my friend CFII this morning. Route of flight KRHV to KMER with multiple approaches. I'm using WingX on iPad2 and he had ForeFlight on iPad1. Both of us have georeferenced approach plates.
When we did the first approach started around 10AM none of us had the blue plane on the plate. When we went missed and were vectored for another approach all of the sudden the blue airplane appeared on both iPads. That was really strange since we had two independent systems with a different hardware and software. Both iPads used internal GPS. I mount my iPad on yoke using RAM mount and he just holds his or puts it on the glare shield when not in use. I googled for GPS outages but don't see any.
Any idea what was that?

I was doing mockup IR check ride with my friend CFII this morning. Route of flight KRHV to KMER with multiple approaches. I'm using WingX on iPad2 and he had ForeFlight on iPad1. Both of us have georeferenced approach plates.
When we did the first approach started around 10AM none of us had the blue plane on the plate. When we went missed and were vectored for another approach all of the sudden the blue airplane appeared on both iPads. That was really strange since we had two independent systems with a different hardware and software. Both iPads used internal GPS. I mount my iPad on yoke using RAM mount and he just holds his or puts it on the glare shield when not in use. I googled for GPS outages but don't see any.
Any idea what was that?

Did you repeat the approach and did it do it again? I suspect it has to do with using the internal GPS that until you got around and turned around, neither of you had yet acquired enough satellites and/or dB to produce an acceptable fix accuracy for use.

Forget to mention - we both had blue plane on moving map shoving our position, altitude and direction of flight correctly.

Forget to mention - we both had blue plane on moving map shoving our position, altitude and direction of flight correctly.

Sounds like it had something to do with the Seattle Avionics side of the package then. Did both of them have 3G turned on?

Sounds like it had something to do with the Seattle Avionics side of the package then.
that's right - that the only common part between those two setups. Will ask Seattle Avionics support.
Did both of them have 3G turned on?
What does it have to do with 3G being enabled? Location services are turned on, cellular data is off.

Sounds more like a satellite to receiver antenna(s) (plural in this case) geometry problem to me.

First approach, neither device could "see" enough satellites to switch the "you can navigate by this signal" bit.

By the time the second approach was shot, the satellite geometry changed.

that's right - that the only common part between those two setups. Will ask Seattle Avionics support.

What does it have to do with 3G being enabled? Location services are turned on, cellular data is off.

If the cellular data was on I was wondering if there was a Seattle Avionics update or something happenning.

Sounds more like a satellite to receiver antenna(s) (plural in this case) geometry problem to me.

First approach, neither device could "see" enough satellites to switch the "you can navigate by this signal" bit.

By the time the second approach was shot, the satellite geometry changed.

That's what I was thinking then he said the moving map had sinal, jut not on the plate.

I would never have georeferenced plates, anyway. I KNOW where I am relative to the navaids outlined on the plate, and I want to be looking at and concentratrating on the PANEL, not the approach plate. The important data on the plate should be committed to memory, at least the next step or two.

Wells

I would never have georeferenced plates, anyway. I KNOW where I am relative to the navaids outlined on the plate, and I want to be looking at and concentratrating on the PANEL, not the approach plate. The important data on the plate should be committed to memory, at least the next step or two.

Wells

Amen brother, amen!

Guys... Remember the thread about the April 1st, 2nd & 4th GPS interference testing?? NOTAM!

Guys... Remember the thread about the April 1st, 2nd & 4th GPS interference testing?? NOTAM!

I just double checked DUATS Wx briefing I got one hour before departure - there is nothing about it.
TangoWhiskey, can you please post this NOTAM?

Back