No gas, NatlPark landout.

Federal Aviation Administration officials ordered that the plane not be flown out of the park.
After further consultation among park officials and the pilot, it was agreed to remove the plane by tow truck.

I wonder why the FAA ordered that. I can understand the National Park rangers might want to restrict what goes on in their park, but why does the FAA care where the plane takes off?

I wonder why the FAA ordered that. I can understand the National Park rangers might want to restrict what goes on in their park, but why does the FAA care where the plane takes off?
It probably falls into the category that says "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

If the FAA grants permission they are somehow agreeing to accept some liability for any f*-ups. No I don't believe a strict reading of the law will say that, but I do believe a jury will believe anything.... :nonod:

-Skip

There was only minor damage to the plane. It was removed to the side of the road to clear the roadway for vehicle traffic.

No longer airworthy and they refused to issue a ferry permit?

As punishment for running out of gas?:idea:

Maybe because it was reported as "slightly damaged?" Could mean a lot of things.

Okay, that sounds reasonable. Damage and airworthiness might explain the FAA saying 'don't take off from here'.

Otherwise, it seems to me they could just fuel up, ask the rangers to block the road temporarily, and then use the road to take off. If I understand the usual practices correctly, permission to do all that would normally be up to the local law enforcement authorities, which in this case would be the park rangers, and not the FAA.

As punishment for running out of gas?:idea:

This is one of those situations where the FAA, police, NPS, eieio have no real effect on the lesson learned. The real lesson is actually fully and truly learned about the time you look over and fully realize the engine quit because you were stupid and now have to deal with the consequences. No amount of fines or slaps on the wrist will equal a self induced stopped prop with the Earth rising up to meet you.

Back