No flexibility, no conscience, no sense

U

Unregistered

FYI, this is more of a vent.

I passed my Class 3 medical. My AME had me write down that I use Ibuprofen / Aspirin as needed for pain. That's not the problem though...

I suffered a major automotive calamity a few years back. This has left me with permanent damage that can cause me intense pain at times, but most often in the winter when it's icy.

I had two prescriptions, the worse of the two (as far as the FAA would be concerned) would be the Vicodin. Never mind the fact that it's only for 20 pills a year, and I've never turned in less than 15. Never mind that I don't even drive if I take the stuff. I can't use it at all. They won't trust that I won't use it for a reasonable period (like 72-96 hours) before flying. So if I fall now, it's probably not going to be 24 hours off and back to work, but more probably 3 days off and struggling back to work.

I understand they don't want pilots to fly with diminished capacity. No, I really do. I just wish they'd show a little humanity for people that actually do need pain medication and don't abuse it. Worst of all, now I'm worried they're going to see that I had this prescription written a couple months ago, and even though I haven't used it, they'll still yank my medical. That will mean that I'll have to go through all of the extra pain for nothing in the end.

20 Vicodins per year clearly falls withing the federal guidelines for" sporadic occasional use, self grounds appropriately".

It's the unnmamed muscle relaxant, or the SSRI for neurologic pain, that they're afraid of. You haven't given the whole story......

...in which case it might behoove you to engage Dr. Chien's services for consultation on how you can make this work without making your whole medical situation public here.
+1...

Maybe some flexibility

20 Vicodins per year clearly falls withing the federal guidelines for" sporadic occasional use, self grounds appropriately".

It's the unnmamed muscle relaxant, or the SSRI for neurologic pain, that they're afraid of. You haven't given the whole story......

My AME must have been more paranoid than you. The two prescriptions I had were Tramadol and Vicodin both for the same reason, both the the same amount of pills per year. The doc switched me back to Vicodin because of some nasty nausea from the Tramadol.

I don't need either for everyday use, or even weekly / monthly use. I used the darn pills a couple days out of a YEAR. Almost exclusively in the winter, after falling on the ice.

I'm beginning to think, as I stated before, the AME just being paranoid. Either that or he didn't understand the rule.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back