No email for 28 hours

OK, thanks.

Emails are starting to trickle through now. :fcross:

My HughesNet email upgrade began working during the late afternoon, today.
After getting tired of the recorded announcement stuff I called the office of the president(301-428-5500, and asked for the president's office). I talked to his lady assistant who was well-aware of the ongoing problems. She gave me a one week's service credit while I was on the line.

HR

They'll be getting back some transponder bandwith just as soon as the DSL makes it here.... the fiber cable is being pulled down the highway right now and it only has to go another 5 miles to make it here.

My HughesNet email upgrade began working during the late afternoon, today.
After getting tired of the recorded announcement stuff I called the office of the president(301-428-5500, and asked for the president's office). I talked to his lady assistant who was well-aware of the ongoing problems. She gave me a one week's service credit while I was on the line.

HR

They'll be getting back some transponder bandwith just as soon as the DSL makes it here.... the fiber cable is being pulled down the highway right now and it only has to go another 5 miles to make it here.
They have royally screwed up this time. I see that they reverted to the old mail system for now. I got about 8 emails today...most of them from the other day. At least my iPhone can download them now...and at least I know that their new and fancy program was the cause of THAT problem.

I know what an inconvenience it can be now that we're all so web-dependent, but after the initial withdrawal, being "disconnected" temporarily is kinda nice.
Takes me back, it does... especially if I'm away from a terminal and my cell phone is off, or not present. Aahhhhhh.

Life was not really so empty back before all this junk took over; maybe it's because I was younger, but I remember it being pretty good. Even before cable TV. :D

BTW: Mmmmmmm..... cookies....... *slobber*

Well, evidently lots of emails that people sent to us last week bounced and didn't make it through. At this point in time emails are generally coming through about four to six hours after they were sent.

I know what an inconvenience it can be now that we're all so web-dependent, but after the initial withdrawal, being "disconnected" temporarily is kinda nice.
Tom wonders why I need to take my computer on our upcoming trip. It's because it's so hard to type a lot of stuff on the iPhone. :yes: But dang, that laptop weighs a lot and the Citabria is going to be full.

I loved their comment on the "customer care" webpage that "all emails are being securely stored until the transition process is completed".

I found at least one email I sent to myself from an alternate account had bounced during the middle of the fiasco and never showed up at the destination account. And I'm still getting emails sent last month multiple times.

Well, evidently lots of emails that people sent to us last week bounced and didn't make it through. At this point in time emails are generally coming through about four to six hours after they were sent.

I loved their comment on the "customer care" webpage that "all emails are being securely stored until the transition process is completed".
Yea, they aren't telling the truth and I sent them a second note today and mentioned that fact. My emails are coming through 4 to 6 hours late again today. I got about 20 emails today that were sent on 4/27. Internet has been down for several hours and just came back up. The guy from India said I needed to have somebody come out to reset the satellite....but it came back on magically just a few minutes ago. I'm not happy with them!

The guy from India said I needed to have somebody come out to reset the satellite
That cracks me up! :rofl:

(In my best Indian accent - and I've got a good one) "Oh yes, ma'am! We will be to sending our best astronaut right away to be resetting that satellite! We have the shuttle ready to launch and we will have you back in service in no time; no time at all! Now, is there anything else that I can be helping you with today?"

:rofl:

At this point in time I can only access the Internet via my iPhone and email is worthless and the farmhouse phone is messed up, so if anybody needs to contact us it would be best to call our cell numbers or send a PM. I can't even update the 496 for our trip. This is VERY frustrating!

I thought you were saying the fiber would be 5 miles away, which won't cut it. :D Good luck.

My fiber is on my property line, as in I can touch the box when I'm in my back yard, and I STILL can't hook up to it. I just talked to the area manager, no ETA after 5 months. :mad:

The tel. company came through a few years ago and installed all new coax connections to residences in the area to accommodate high speed digital switching. They're now in the process of installing the main trunk line. We just need them to tie in to the local hub when the cable reaches it.

I thought you were saying the fiber would be 5 miles away, which won't cut it. :D Good luck.

My fiber is on my property line, as in I can touch the box when I'm in my back yard, and I STILL can't hook up to it. I just talked to the area manager, no ETA after 5 months. :mad:

It took me about 3 months to withdraw from the crackberry. And I still get pangs of wanting one from time-to-time.

The tel. company came through a few years ago and installed all new coax connections to residences in the area to accommodate high speed digital switching. They're now in the process of installing the main trunk line. We just need them to tie in to the local hub when the cable reaches it.

The guy contacted me and made noises like maybe he could make a push for me. I sent pictures. Turns out you can see the boxes on the Google maps satellite view. :D

You think you have it bad, huh? Well, I set my mother up with Hughes when my parents retired to the boondocks five years ago, so guess who she calls when the service goes down? I know about Hughes' issues even before Roy in India does.

I could, of course, set up stationary EVDO for them. There's a tower about 14.5 miles away with good LOS from the roof that I'm pretty sure would provide stable a signal with a good directional antenna. I can grab it at 1 - 2 bars with a Maxwell House cantenna (not sure about Folgers or Pringles) if I'm up on the roof, so with a Yagi and maybe an inline amp feeding an EVDO router, it should be usable.

But most of the time, Hughes isn't awful (though I'm told WildBlue is better), and they've given my parents a few free upgrades over the years, so...

Rich

Last edited:
Back