No email for 28 hours

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
OK, maybe I'm spoiled. Or...are we too dependent on email? My server, hughes, said they would be down for several hours to "improve" our email services. But, they screwed up and no email since yesterday afternoon and who knows when they will get it all sorted out. Is this acceptable? I don't know if people have emailed me or not...I hope they don't think I'm rude by not responding.

Have we become too dependent on email?

OK, maybe I'm spoiled. Or...are we too dependent on email? My server, hughes, said they would be down for several hours to "improve" our email services. But, they screwed up and no email since yesterday afternoon and who knows when they will get it all sorted out. Is this acceptable? I don't know if people have emailed me or not...I hope they don't think I'm rude by not responding.

Have we become too dependent on email?

Dependent? Who knows?

Anal-compulsive? :eek: Maybe! :D

Relax. No one who knows you will think you are rude and the others don't count. Do something non-technology and non-flying related to relax. Bake cookies or read a book or watch a TV show or whatever you like to do that will just simply relax you without any pressure at all. :)

ps: I love the smell of homemade cookies baking. :yes:

Dependent? Who knows?

Anal-compulsive? :eek: Maybe! :D
Precisely! :D

ps: I love the smell of homemade cookies baking. :yes:
Well, if you would come to the midwest I'd run to town and get some Slice and Bake cookie dough, or else invite Tony to come and bring his famous home-made cookies.

My iPhone keeps giving me a message about the fact that it doesn't support CRAM-MD5 authentication now. And then I have to say "OK"?????? And I don't know how to fix that since Joe Areeda set up my iPhone for me when he was here and I just hope I don't have to figure it out on my own when Hughes fixes their problem. :eek:

diana all of this talk about cookies is making me hungry...

I'm in the same boat; Hughes was supposed to be down from 9:00pm Saturday to 6:00am Sunday. And you're right: it's still down. And does anyone hate those voice-response customer service recorded announcements more than I?

HR

I'm in the same boat; Hughes was supposed to be down from 9:00pm Saturday to 6:00am Sunday. And you're right: it's still down. And does anyone hate those voice-response customer service recorded announcements more than I?

HR
I talked with a guy from India by the name of Roy...Roy was very nice. He said they were having problems. I was getting ready to call Roy back until I saw their notice that they screwed up and it would be another 12 to 24 hours.

In the meantime, I'm going to take Brian's advice and not worry about people not getting a response from me. :)

Except, what if they sent me an email and offered to take me flying and I missed out? :eek:

Get a Gmail account and the iPhone will work great on that either Edge or WiFi.
Then have your old email forwarded to Gmail or tell Gmail to retrieve your other mail.
Do you still have to get an invitation to get a Gmail account?

Do you still have to get an invitation to get a Gmail account?

Technically, yes, but you can basically invite yourself on the main page. If not, I can give you the invite pretty quick like.

By the way, 28 hrs and no email...I think I would be twitching.

I think the # I called got me to the Philippines. And the recording said to call back "during business hours." However, there was a recorded acknowledgment that Hughes was having problems.

HR

Technically, yes, but you can basically invite yourself on the main page. If not, I can give you the invite pretty quick like.
That would be great! Do I need to have email to get it?

By the way, 28 hrs and no email...I think I would be twitching.
It's getting closer to 36 hours now and I'm trying to put it into perspective. Maybe by the time I wake up tomorrow................

That would be great! Do I need to have email to get it?

It's getting closer to 36 hours now and I'm trying to put it into perspective. Maybe by the time I wake up tomorrow................

Umm...good question...standby.

Precisely! :D

Well, if you would come to the midwest I'd run to town and get some Slice and Bake cookie dough, or else invite Tony to come and bring his famous home-made cookies.

My iPhone keeps giving me a message about the fact that it doesn't support CRAM-MD5 authentication now. And then I have to say "OK"?????? And I don't know how to fix that since Joe Areeda set up my iPhone for me when he was here and I just hope I don't have to figure it out on my own when Hughes fixes their problem. :eek:

Tell me more about the Famous Cookies. :D

When I was growing up, my mother loved to cook and bake. All of her sons inherited her love of cooking. My sister, however, was a different story. ;)

At this point, I think one brother and I might be the only people in my entire extended family who still actually choose to bake from scratch. Except Mom, of course, who still bakes for holidays. At 87, she still cooks meals for her and Dad (he's 92) but takes it easy on the baking. I don't have much time for it either but still find it relaxing when I get the chance.

I hate to admit this, but I woke up at 3 am not too terribly long ago with a craving for chocolate. I was at home but didn't have any chocolate that was ready to eat. So I pulled out an old world war II one-pan chocolate cake recipe and threw it together.

40 minutes later, I was eating chocolate cake and milk. I went back to bed happy. :yes:

Oh of course, because that makes perfect sense. If you go to the homepage, though, there's a box at the bottom left where you can request an invitation...I don't think that requires an active email address to use; if memory serves, it can be text messaged to your phone.

By the way, 28 hrs and no email...I think I would be switching.

There... Fixed that for ya. :yes:

Diana, if the server admins weren't suffering from a recto-cranial inversion when they set up their e-mail server and DNS, hopefully all the e-mail that was sent to you while the system was down will trickle in over the next few days. Generally, 5 days is the limit - If the server is down for 5 days, people will probably get messages from their own ISP's saying that the message was undeliverable after trying for 5 days. Many of them have probably already gotten a message saying that it was undeliverable and the system will keep trying. A lot of this depends on the server admins at the other end too, though.

E-mail was really good and reliable until the spammers came along and focused 90% of an e-mail server admin's time on stopping them instead of what they should be doing. :mad:

They're apparently trying to restore the inboxes. I've been watching the webmail inbox and mail for the last 3 weeks keeps returning after I delete it.

Still no Outlook success as of now.

Where's Jesse when you need him...

As of noon today:

Unfortunately, the HughesNet email upgrade we have undertaken has not gone as well as anticipated. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We are working to correct the problems encountered with this upgrade and improvements will be seen within the next 12 to 24 hours. Email services may be available intermittently during this time. We will continue to improve the system until all current issues are resolved.

They don't have any other direction to go but "improve" right now!

It's still not working! Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!

Christo_pull_hair.gif

they're yummy and featured at most PoA fly ins that I attend.

LOL

Time for those cookies! :D:D:D

ps: I still want to hear about the Famous Cookies.
:)

Tony mailed us some of his Famous Cookies during the ice storm when we were without power for a week. They were soooooo yummy. At one time Tony had his cookies as his avatar. Now Tony is a button. :)

they're yummy and featured at most PoA fly ins that I attend.

Cool.

I'm not asking for a recipe. :D

But what type of cookies are they? I love cookies, even though I'm usually on Atkins these days. I can still love cookies from afar. :yes:

:)

Tony mailed us some of his Famous Cookies during the ice storm when we were without power for a week. They were soooooo yummy. At one time Tony had his cookies as his avatar. Now Tony is a button. :)

I'd rather be a cookie than a button, if I could, I surely would...

(Don't know how I went from cookies to Simon and Garfunkle in on short post. :rolleyes:)

grandmas chocolate chip recipe. guarded family secret. I was amazed when she let me have the recipe. they've made it through the mail to a few PoA people over the past few years.

here you go, from 6Y9 last labor day:

Before:
DSC01655.JPG

and After:

DSC01661.JPG

OK, now I'm hungry.

Boy, those look GREAT! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

:goofy:

any chance some cookies can be shipped to Ogden Utah?

Tony, I was unaware of any cookie baking expertise? Those would be great for say during and after a retrieve of the Cherokee.

well, iguess youll have to be out here for some retrieves in order to find out adam :)

OK...this is getting really frustrating. No email for 48 hours and no end in sight. Internet connection has been intermittent and slow. We have a lot to do before we leave town and my rigger stood me up when I flew my parachutes to Mt. Vernon today and I'm scrambling to take care of a lot of last minute details before I leave town tomorrow and then again next week and then need to get ready for Gaston's, especially the parachutes, while I'm not here and we have company coming and I need to spend 8 hours mowing every 5 days. Whaaaaaaaa. This may be a melt-down. :( And I need my email back to take care of a lot of stuff.

Diana,

I don't believe Gmail requires "Invites" from existing members (or yourself) any longer. Sign up here.

Diana,

I don't believe Gmail requires "Invites" from existing members (or yourself) any longer.
I looked at the site for a few minutes today..until I lost my connection again. I couldn't figure out if I could get their email on my iPhone. Does anyone here get Gmail on an iPhone?

I looked at the site for a few minutes today..until I lost my connection again. I couldn't figure out if I could get their email on my iPhone. Does anyone here get Gmail on an iPhone?

I don't have an iPhone, but a couple of my captains do and gmail has always worked on there.

I don't have an iPhone, but a couple of my captains do and gmail has always worked on there.
OK, thanks.

Emails are starting to trickle through now. :fcross:

But, I keep getting the message on my iPhone that my IMAP server doesn't support CRAM-MD5 authentication. What does that mean? It used to work OK. :dunno: Anybody know how to fix that?

Back