No DA20 for me, instead a very nice C150

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Took Cathy to Wings Field today to check out the Diamond DA20C1. She has veto authority over the planes we rent, especially if she's going to be in them with me. Montgomery County Aviation at Wings Field has always bent over backwards to give us good service and make us happy. Today, I walked up to the desk and asked if we could look at the Diamonds, and they tossed us the keys to one. That simple, no fuss, no muss. We headed out and admired the plane. It's a real beauty, a joy to look at. I climbed in, settled down, and admired the view, then Cathy climbed in. I don't think even three seconds went by before she said "I don't like it, I feel crowded." Darn :( On the plus side, they have a very, very nice Cessna 150 for rent there, and I don't even have to check out in it. She likes the 150/152s, and I think they are a blast to fly so we'll stick with that and their Skyhawk SPs for now. As a bonus, the C-150 is even cheaper to rent than the DA20. I may think about their Arrow later on. But I think the 150 and 172 will meet our needs for this summer and fall. I wish I had the $$$ to check out in all the different planes around here, though!!

Aw, Joe, too bad. Celia Jane (my Goddess-like wife) loves the DA20, most notably, the outstanding outward visibility it affords.

Oh well, to each, their own.

Joe Williams said:
I wish I had the $$$ to check out in all the different planes around here, though!!
I wish we had the variety around here in PHX that you have over there. No Tigers. One place that I know of has a DA40. Chandler Aviation has Aviat Huskies, two Supercubs and a bunch of Great Lakes aerobatic biplanes. Other than that, most are your basic Cessna or Piper only FBO's.

I too love the DA20 for local $100 hamburger flights, the outside visibility is wonderful compared to the C150/152.

But for a longer flight, the Butt HURTS bigtime. You're wearing the aircraft. It's a good fit but eventually you need to take the shoe off.

PS She is gorgeous!

Brian Austin said:
I wish we had the variety around here in PHX that you have over there. No Tigers. One place that I know of has a DA40. Chandler Aviation has Aviat Huskies, two Supercubs and a bunch of Great Lakes aerobatic biplanes. Other than that, most are your basic Cessna or Piper only FBO's.

I HIGHLY recommend you hook up with someone from the American Yankee Association and bum a ride in a Tiger if/when you get on the market to buy. Hands down our favorite so far, but not worth an hour/hour and a half drive with so many good choices closer.

bbchien said:
But for a longer flight, the Butt HURTS bigtime. You're wearing the aircraft. It's a good fit but eventually you need to take the shoe off.

PS She is gorgeous!

Bruce, you think the TwinStar is going to be that tight?

If so, I don't have a lot of interest.

Joe Williams said:
I HIGHLY recommend you hook up with someone from the American Yankee Association and bum a ride in a Tiger if/when you get on the market to buy. Hands down our favorite so far, but not worth an hour/hour and a half drive with so many good choices closer.
There's a nice one for sale here at Deer Valley. Asking $64K (lowered from $69K). I'm just not ready yet and hadn't intended on going that high...but it's REAL tempting. :D

It's not. I've sat in one. I was offered a Lycoming version but I'll wait for N.A. Diesel support.

Brian Austin said:
There's a nice one for sale here at Deer Valley. Asking $64K (lowered from $69K). I'm just not ready yet and hadn't intended on going that high...but it's REAL tempting. :D

Ask the owner for ride... take your check book LOL

bbchien said:
It's not. I've sat in one. I was offered a Lycoming version but I'll wait for N.A. Diesel support.

I don't think the DA40 is either, at least I hope not. Adam Zucker says they are getting one at Wings, and I want to check it out.

Back