no AUDIO OUT on my HDTV??

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
Can't locate audio out on my fairly new TV, is it possible it is not there? I purchased headphones that would like to connect. Of course could connect them directly to my cable box or to my blue ray DVD but switching them back and forth is not easy, all the plugs are in the back. Am I missing something in this world of consumer electronics? I can't believe I am even facing such basic problem. There are countless IN plugs but no OUT, bizarre :confused:

Last edited:
You probably have an optical audio out - but that's about it. That is designed to hook up to some surround sound system...

Can't locate audio out on my fairly new TV, is it possible it is not there? I purchased headphones that would like to connect. Of course could connect them directly to my cable box or to my blue ray DVD but switching them back and forth is not easy, all the plugs are in the back. Am I missing something in this world of consumer electronics? I can't believe I am even facing such basic problem. There are countless IN plugs but no OUT, bizarre :confused:

generally, you will (or should) have all of your devices hooked to your surround sound receiver pre-tv. then you use an output from it instead.

I have one that does and one that doesn't. It's one of the things you have to look for these days when you're buying. What inputs and outputs the TV has...

You probably have an optical audio out - but that's about it..

Yes, you got it, I do have that. So I guess I need a converter from digital optical to RCA analog, I actually already see such units on the Internet.

Last edited:
Yes, you got it, I do have that. So I guess I need a converter from digital optical to RCA analog, I actually already see such units on the Internet.

Your best bet in that situation is to get a low priced amplifier that has optical inputs. But when you do that , you might as well set it up between the feed device and the TV , then wouldnt need to back feed from the TV. Most surround receivers or amps designed for "home theater" have a headphone jack on the front you could plug into or have a se of low level outs that feed external headphone units well.

I have a 3.5mm headphone jack on my latest HDTV purchase, in the MBR, but no way to selectively mute the speakers! :mad2:

My TV has two separate panels of in/out jacks. One on the back that's easy, the other on the side under a panel that took me like 45 minutes to find....

Your best bet in that situation is to get a low priced amplifier that has optical inputs.
I was even thinking of getting headphones compatible with my digital optical output. They are surround sound headphones and they ain't cheap - they typically cost like 5 times what I paid for my current stereo headphones, I wonder if they are worth the money, are they that good??

I was even thinking of getting headphones compatible with my digital optical output. They are surround sound headphones and they ain't cheap - they typically cost like 5 times what I paid for my current stereo headphones, I wonder if they are worth the money, are they that good??

got a link on them ? And also what is the model of your tv

Looking at the Instruction manual for your tv , there is an optical output on the back. #4 ( providing they didn't use 1 manual for 6 models )

I did not search for the instruction manual for those headphones , but for the price and the good reviews , it looks like they would suit your needs. If you are looking to do ALL video sources, the best bet would be what you are doing.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    45.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Last edited:
Convert what audio???
Mike's idea is what I am also considering.
Converting my digital-optical audio into standard R/L stereo audio.

I appreciate all the help.

Last edited:
If you did that, then how are you going to shift from line level to something usable for the headphones with volume control. You are back to using an amplifier and you might as well feed it from your cable/sat box.

I have a 3.5mm headphone jack on my latest HDTV purchase, in the MBR, but no way to selectively mute the speakers! :mad2:
That's just idiotic. Why would you need headphones and speakers at the same time? That headphone jack ought to be "normalled" so that when you plug in the headphones, the input circuit to the speakers' amplifier is broken.

That's just idiotic. Why would you need headphones and speakers at the same time? That headphone jack ought to be "normalled" so that when you plug in the headphones, the input circuit to the speakers' amplifier is broken.

It is not as uncommon as you would think. I have seen many instances where one member of the family was hard of hearing and used headphones for additional volume. They get to turn it up to where they want it without blowing everyone else out of the room.

Well we're not at the headphone plus speaker stage of hearing loss (yet). What I want the headphone jack for is to drive a powered PC 2.1 setup to get better audio quality than the built in speakers. That mostly works now, although there is a slightly annoying high end distortion put out by the built in speakers. Near the bottom of my honey-do list is to crack open the TV and just snip the speaker wires.

Can't get too upset, though, it WAS only $370 for a 41" LED. :)

If the optical output is fixed level, you would not be able to control volume. If you convert from the optical to analog, you still need to drive the headphones with some sort of amplifier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would be ok if there is amplification to the headphones. If you are going to use the ones in the link, you ok. I was referring if you started to do those level conversion units etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well, no, if I were to use the converter proposed above by user iWin I would do it with the goal of powering my current Sennheiser RS120 headphones which require standard RCA analog inputs. I don't see why I would need any amplifier in that case, whatever signal amplification is needed should be handled by the transmitter and the headphones themselves.

Back