No applause, please- just throw money

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Passed my Commercial Glider written today, by a respectable margin (89).

I was a little disappointed; thought I'd done better... but I passed... and my instructor told me of a heavy-duty DPE he knew, WWII bomber pilot, etc, etc, who once told him that 88-92 is a "gentleman's score", and that I should be proud.
As an examiner for many years, this fellow had found that applicants who'd scored less than 82 might not be book-smart enough to be worthy of the rating,even if they were good sticks, and those who scored over 92 were often too book-smart to fly well. :D

Maybe that's why my PPASEL examiner was so hard on me years ago... I got a 99 on that one. :D

That's only one guy's impression, but my CFI says I should be happy, and I am.

What a test, though! The one W&B problem could not be solved to match the three choices given for the CG. I was not allowed to take notes away from the test, so I can't reproduce it, but I took a stab at the number nearest my solution, and got it wrong. Looking at a similar sample problem found in my test prep book, I suspect that the FAA forgot to mention the ballast in the problem. Either that or I am so dumb I can screw up a W&B calc after 10 attempts, all yielding the same solution! :rolleyes2:

Another gem was the tow rope question where they list tow rope breaking strengh and glider weight, then forget to ask the question.There's two possible questions (min or max strength of weak links installed when the rope itself is rated for more than 200% of glider weight), so from the choices I was able to deduce the right question, and thus the right answer. Made me think, I'll give them that much. :rolleyes:

There's also a lot of engine, IFR, radio nav, and night questions in there... too many, IMHO. I was waived for the PP-Glider written because I already have a PPASEL, but I'll bet that test is similar. I knew that would happen, but I will admit I had not brushed enough dust off things like interpreting an HSI when tracking a VORTAC. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad it's done, and inspired to make a habit of studying habitually, rather than only when a test is imminent. Of course, I do have to put my nose back to the grindstone now, because there's a good chance I will be taking the "real" test this fall. If all goes well, I will be doing a lot of flying on the customers' dime next season. :D

Congrats on the achievement!

What sort of activities are you now permitted to do? I can imagine joy rides, but what else?

Passed my Commercial Glider written today, by a respectable margin (89).

Congrats! I'm studying now for the CP-G written in hopes that I can take the ride in November. Thanks for the heads-up on the questions.

Paul

Congrats! I'm studying now for the CP-G written in hopes that I can take the ride in November. Thanks for the heads-up on the questions.

Paul
No problem... bring some extra patience with you; you may need it. :D

I forgot to mention that I used David Seymour's excellent test prep book, which was a big help. you can get it here:

http://www.eglider.org/books.html

No problem... bring some extra patience with you; you may need it. :D

I forgot to mention that I used David Seymour's excellent test prep book, which was a big help. you can get it here:

http://www.eglider.org/books.html

Haven't seen that one. I'm using the ASA Commercial test prep iOS application and Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot" book to study.

I met a guy who flies his Nimbus through towering cumulus in Florida (legally on an IFR flight plan with block altitudes), so I guess the instrument questions aren't completely irrelevant. Though none of our club gliders have an HSI, RMI, ADF, VOR, or ... :wink2:

I met a guy who flies his Nimbus through towering cumulus in Florida (legally on an IFR flight plan with block altitudes), so I guess the instrument questions aren't completely irrelevant. Though none of our club gliders have an HSI, RMI, ADF, VOR, or ... :wink2:

I know that guy...i really wish I had some instruments in one of my gliders. He gave a talk at the SSA Convention a few years ago and had the Nimbus on display. It drew quite a bit of attention.

btw good job on the written, and best of luck on the checkride!

Haven't seen that one. I'm using the ASA Commercial test prep iOS application and Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot" book to study.

Boy, do they love those "ADF time/distance/fuel-to-station-based on timed bearing change" questions... and the old VOR radial "isosceles triangle" one. And the "how far off the radial with one-fifth CDI deflection at 60 miles from the station" problem. Even IR applicants would probably roll their eyes at those nowadays...
Those were pretty familiar to me, but I really had to puzzle over the "which RMI shows the aircraft getting farther from the station" one (even though anyone familiar with their use would get it right away). I have never flown behind one of those. I actually got that one right, though... :D

That's right, folks, all of those were on the CP-glider written, along with more... VOR checks in the air and on the ground, reverse sensing, etc. :dunno:

Last edited:

What sort of activities are you now permitted to do? I can imagine joy rides, but what else?
I can act as PIC carrying pax for hire. I can't think of what that would apply to other than joyrides; maybe flying for photo or movie shoots, or testing gliders?
In any case, it's not going to make me rich. :D

As far as my club is concerned, since we give joyrides for a fee, should I be PIC on one of those rides, I get to log the time without paying for the tow.

There are three other active CPGs in the club and only one 2-seater, but more than once we've had several rides scheduled on one day, or a walkup who wanted a ride when none of them were around. And then there's times one of them is out in the 1-26, or just doesn't feel like flying a sightseer. So my prospects are pretty good for getting enough free time, in the next couple of seasons, to make it worth the effort. :D
I'm pretty psyched to give more rides- I've given several rides on my tab, to friends and strangers, and I enjoy it. I want to do my CFI-G next, so the more of that, the merrier.

Actually, I am getting ahead of myself here... a little too excited. :rolleyes:
Having only taken the written, the only new privilege I have is to be eligible for the oral and the checkride.

:rofl:

But once I do that and actually get the rating, yes, I'll be able to act as PIC for compensation or hire, or however they word it. :D

Nobody has asked where we can throw the money to.
In my general direction... :D

I see now that the thread title is probably premature, also...
I have only passed the written... no commercial privileges just yet.

But by all means, if you want to throw money at me, I won't stop you. :D

Nice job, congrats

Congrats on the rating! Where do you fly? Blairstown.
47N. A pretty loosely-knit club, but we like to soar, and it's pretty good sometimes.

http://southsidesoaring.com/South_Side_Soaring/Home.html

I did my intro flight at Blairstown, in a Tomahawk many years ago, and I've been there since. Might land out there someday, who knows?
I've been meaning to come up there and try soaring on the ridge... it's on my list.

i've made several friends with the blairstown ridge runners. they are certifiable maniacs and have a lot of fun going long on the ridge there. you should join them sometime!

Back