NIMBY neighbors don't want Chicago lakefront helipad

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Noise concerns spur city to seek new heliport site

Chicago is looking for alternative sites to operate a heliport for police and fire helicopters, officials said Tuesday, ceding to neighbors who raised noise concerns about plans to base the facility just south of Navy Pier.

The decision comes in the wake of a noise study--conducted inside and in front of high-rise condominiums near the proposed landing pad--that showed a negligible increase in decibels caused by the helicopter flights, according to city aviation officials. Most of the readings were comparable to the noise made by a car going over pavement or the whoosh of a vacuum cleaner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0607120258jul12,1,1916372.story?coll=chi-news-hed
Ya know what would have been handy? Maybe if they had a lakefront airport around there that people like the President and the governor could use....oh, wait.

The many hospitals in the area could use it, too, like they used to, but I guess if the noise is too much they'll just take out your dead body by ground vehicle.

When Boeing moved to Chicago, and landed at Meigs for the annoncement, they said they needed a place to land nearby. This was supposed to be it.

mikea said:
Ya know what would have been handy? Maybe if they had a lakefront airport around there that people like the President and the governor could use....oh, wait.

The many hospitals in the area could use it, too, like they used to, but I guess if the noise is too much they'll just take out your dead body by ground vehicle.

When Boeing moved to Chicago, and landed at Meigs for the annoncement, they said they needed a place to land nearby. This was supposed to be it.

That is a great idea. There is land on island near the Planatarium that could easily be converted to an aviation facility with an infusion of a few million dollars. You should pitch that to the mayor.

mikea said:

LOL! Mike, to quote Clinton "I feel your pain" But I gotta say, after reading your Chicago news report over the years I'm stilled amazed at the political shenanigans Da Mere can get away with. Absolutely amazing.

mikea said:

But Boing makes helicopters, and that little airport could not handle too many other Boing products. So Da Mare did it thinking of Boing. Surely you can see the logic.

mikea said:

All the Boeing exec were flying BBJs and never intended to use Meigs as their corporate aviation center. For that they went to Gary.

There was at least one Boeing that flew into Meigs, the 727 that is hanging in the Museum of Science and Industry.

smigaldi said:
All the Boeing exec were flying BBJs and never intended to use Meigs as their corporate aviation center. For that they went to Gary.
Sure. The big day of the announcement the Boeing CEO and his entourage got out of the BBJ at Midway, walked a hundred feet and took a helicopter to Meigs, walked another hundred feet and took a limo the 3-5 miles to the new HQ...and announced they needed a place to land the helicopter.

The city promised a helipad. At the time they thought they would build one at the river nearby. I don't know if they use the one that Peoples Energy has west and south of the loop. That one is about as far away as Meigs was.

I think they limo from Gary, which has to be a pain, especially with the Dan Ryan torn up now.

Back