Nightly freeze?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
tonight about 9:07 Central flashchat and the homepage froze solid. back up by 9:13. happened last night too, not sure on the times. the gerbils need a break?

is it only 93? and that cant be right cause it happened last night too :p

last night the whole site froze at 9:45 Central, tonight it was 9:30. is this supposed to be happening. everything freezes for a little under 5 minutes. flashchat and the forum.

last night the whole site froze at 9:45 Central, tonight it was 9:30. is this supposed to be happening. everything freezes for a little under 5 minutes. flashchat and the forum.

The beauty of a virtual server. Someone else is probably running some big cron job and bringing it to it's knees.

this is still happening. tonight it happened at 8:05 central and about 9:00 central. Does anyone in the management know anything about this??
almost every night between 9 and 10 central the site is brought to its knees for about 5 minutes. kind of annoying really...

The beauty of a virtual server. Someone else is probably running some big cron job and bringing it to it's knees.

I agree with your diagnosis, and yes, it happens every night around 9pm CT.

Even on a virtual server, the hosting company should be able to figure out (easily) what the offending process is and get it stopped until it's author optimizes it.

Right on schedule tonight at 8:30 pm MDT...

Right on schedule tonight at 8:30 pm MDT...
Mari, I was TRYING to reply to your post in another thread. It took over ninety seconds for it to finally "turn a page." :(

Chuck, it's time for inquiring minds to conquer the problem.

yea seriously, it would be nice for someone with the power to fix this (like perhaps someone on the Management Council) to reply to this thread.

I got kicked off and couldn't get back in until after 1am. Very frustrating.

Lisa, that's just unacceptable. Your history posts need to be done no later than 0130 Eastern!

:goofy:

lol. I try.. I had todays ready to be posted at the stroke of midnight Central, but had to stare at that dang "connecting to www...." message instead.

I'll check our scheduled jobs and see what might be running, but if it's something GoDaddy, or another site on our virtual share, is doing, we may be powerless here.

Spam or not. If someone uses my referral code and stays with SB for 3 months I get a $250 credit and they get a $100 credit. I like $250 credits.

Last edited:
Jesse,

Thanks - we'll keep that option in mind.

Those of you experiencing freezes - what time zones are you in, and what times are you seeing them?

its happening every night seemingly between 9 and 10 central time. that would be 10-11 eastern, 8-9 mountain, and 7-8 western.

Interesting...

Our daily scheduled jobs all run at midnight, EST.

It may be just me, but it seems to be creeping later and later. First time I remember it happening was around 9:00pm Central. It seems to be getting closer to 10 now.

Chuck, I imagine it is not anything you (we) are doing, but rather, is a resource-hogging virtual share.

I had a problem between about 10:20 PM EDT last night. At one point, I got an error message indicating a database problem.

Chuck, that might be the first place to look....

flashchat and the forum froze for me and others at about 9:30 central last night

I had a problem between about 10:20 PM EDT last night. At one point, I got an error message indicating a database problem.

Chuck, that might be the first place to look....

That message typically comes up if the server is rebooting and the services are coming up, but I will check what I can.

Seriously the idea of moving to a dedicated server tho is growing on me...

Problems posting from Panera Bread when every other site works fine, 4:08 PM CDT.

Problems posting from Panera Bread when every other site works fine, 4:08 PM CDT.
I have seen it form multiple access location in multiple parts of the world. The only common element is the server that PoA resides on. That has to be the problem and where initial efforts should be focused to find out what is going on.

The aliens are out in force tonight. We've been abducted 3 or 4 times between 8:30 and 9:30 pm mountain time.
1a.gif

It hit hard about 2250 EDT on Sunday night. After I tried to clear some unread threads and had it freeze for almost two minutes, I just gave up and walked away.

Chuck,

Just curious. Have you tried requesting a reboot of the virtual server? Wonder if there's a memory management issue or a leak somewhere. I also assume that maintenance is regularly run on the database - this sure looks like some kind of indexing or similar slowdown.

A couple of other VBulletin boards I use have similar issues from time to time which are fixed with database maintenance.

I haven't been on the forums when its "frozen" often enough to get into the server and try to determine a cause.

What I can do, though, for starters is to reboot the server, let you know when its been done, and then see when the next freeze takes place.

I've done DB maint (repair and optimize) within the last month, I think, as well. I may just do another soon tho.

The aliens grabbed us in chat last night about 6pm central time, if that helps any Chuck.

Mark B

All I can say is that despie the freezes, it's much more reliable than Verizon's DSL service..... and GoDaddy is much more responsive than Verizon on fixing issues.

Back