Night XC Writeup

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
I keep my progress thread updated to a degree, but thought I should do a quick writeup of tonight's Night XC. Going in to the flight tonight I had 31.2 hours and still needed my night cross country and an hour under the hood to meet all the logbook requirements for my PPL. Tonight's flight was 1.8 hours, and an hour of that was under the hood, so we knocked out the last two "check boxes" that I needed, which means at 33 hours I have a LOT of practicing to do before my checkride.

First off, I haven't flown in three weeks and the rust definitely showed. I botched some simple things that I usually have down cold. The weather tonight was wonderful though! Calm winds, clear skies, and cool temps. My XC would consist of departing IDI, flying under the hood down to AGC while getting flight following from JST and also tuning in a VOR near the Allegheny County airport. Went from there to BVI over Pitt and through class Bravo, then back to IDI. My CFI warned me that it was going to be a busy night and he was throwing a lot at me at once. He was right, because maintaining altitude, heading, talking on the radio, and trying to keep ahead of the plane with my next moves was definitely approaching task overload. Had some trouble picking out AGC with all the lights around but with a little coaxing from my CFI I found her. Being handed off from JST to Pittsburgh Approach made my life a little busier and I even learned a new term from my CFI as he had me tell Approach that I would be leaving AGC and heading for BVI "in the midst". Received approval to pass through class Bravo in Pitt and got to fly right over the city. BEAUTIFUL at night and my CFI let me lose the hood so I could take in the scenery...as long as I maintained altitude, heading, and kept ahead of the plane. LOL

I botched a few things, and although I HATE that feeling I also know it's pretty normal in a lower-time student pilot. I forgot to start my timer for my tanks and probably went 45 minutes before my CFI reminded me to switch. (A reminder from my CFI about anything, for me, means I failed and need some remedial training or a slap upside the head NCIS-style). ALL my landings included me flaring too high tonight, which isn't usual and my CFI said that it could be the night playing with my mind. Also, my last landing at home was high and I had to slip down and STILL flared too high. To top things off, I went to add full throttle on one of my touch-and-go's tonight without dumping the flaps first. I NEVER do that, but decided to have a brain fart tonight.

All in all a great flight and few complaints. The Pitt scenery was awesome with the clearance through Bravo, most of my radio work was good, and I'm very solid on holding a heading, altitude, VOR navigation, etc. Keeping ahead of the plane proved somewhat challenging with all the new radio work, not seeing the airports/runways until I was about 5 miles out was frustrating, and the high flares and approach just flat out bugged me. :dunno:

I flew out of IDI back in 2005. I really like that airport, and area! I've heard Indiana looks completely different now than what it did only a few years ago.

Glad you had a great night flight! That's a great area to fly around! Night flying gets easier the more you do it. You'll be able to spot airports with no problems in no time!

I love flying at night. As far as flaring too high, beats flaring too low:) Just add a lil power.

I flew out of IDI back in 2005. I really like that airport, and area! I've heard Indiana looks completely different now than what it did only a few years ago.

Glad you had a great night flight! That's a great area to fly around! Night flying gets easier the more you do it. You'll be able to spot airports with no problems in no time!

They just finished a new runway this summer. It's 1000' longer and situated just a little south of the old one. Last I heard, they were still working on getting the taxiways finshed up.

They just finished a new runway this summer. It's 1000' longer and situated just a little south of the old one. Last I heard, they were still working on getting the taxiways finshed up.

You're correct Scott. Runways are now 11 and 29 rather than the old 10 and 28. Nice, long, wide runway for a small(er) rural PA town. Taxiways are still being worked on (which, in part, is the old runway) and the entrace to the new runway is currently at the threshold of 11. Makes for a long back-taxi on the runway if winds favor 29. lol

My XC would consist of departing IDI, flying under the hood down to AGC while getting flight following from JST and also tuning in a VOR near the Allegheny County airport. Went from there to BVI over Pitt and through class Bravo

Just curious, what altitude did you use to go from AGC to BVI?

Just curious, what altitude did you use to go from AGC to BVI?

Sorry Scott, just saw this. 3000 or 3500 if I remember correctly in order to stay under the class Bravo shelf, but then we received clearance straight thru to BVI. It was low, which is what made the Pitt landscape so spectacular at night. Then I ran 5500 back from BVI to IDI with flight following again with Pitt/Johnstown.

Nice writeup. A good portion of my recent flights since joining my club have occurred when I thought "hey, I should fly tonight!" at around 8pm. Those 10o'clock spontaneous flights over Pittsburgh just can't be beaten!
Also, I still have trouble finding AGC at night despite having done my primary there... the WalMart next door looks just like the airport :D

Nice writeup. A good portion of my recent flights since joining my club have occurred when I thought "hey, I should fly tonight!" at around 8pm. Those 10o'clock spontaneous flights over Pittsburgh just can't be beaten!
Also, I still have trouble finding AGC at night despite having done my primary there... the WalMart next door looks just like the airport :D

Thanks... That makes me feel a LITTLE better. Lol...

Back