Night XC to KOXB- PIREP requested

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Anyone have any gouge that is not in the published info.

Thank you.

Tie-down fee is not listed in the AF/D

Downwind for landing on 32 is over open ocean - reduced visual references

Nice airport with several improvements over the years. Taking off 32 at night -- you may want to reconsider unless you're instrument rated...

Lots of banner tows but unless you fly 200' AGL you won't have any issues.

Self Serve is best option (I had them fuel me one trip and they topped it off -- contrary to instructions).

32 takeoff isn't an issue. Try landing on 32 at night in <10 miles visibility. That downwind leg will get your attention.

Both of those appear to be landing incidents. Takeoff on 32 should be over land (although I haven't done it). The approach, however is over water. I landed on 32 at dusk last week. Yes, it was scary.

Both of those appear to be landing incidents. Takeoff on 32 should be over land (although I haven't done it). The approach, however is over water. I landed on 32 at dusk last week. Yes, it was scary.

Any night takeoff that commences directly towards the ocean should be very carefully considered by the VFR only pilot.

Just sayin....

Nice airport with several improvements over the years. Taking off 32 at night -- you may want to reconsider unless you're instrument rated...

Or capable of maintaining wings level using the AI on climbout.

Same situation at GLS. Black hole departure.

Not something you approach cavalierly.

Any night takeoff that commences directly towards the ocean should be very carefully considered by the VFR only pilot.
Agreed... but it sounds as if takeoff on 32 would be over land... and a quick look at the sectional confirms this.

OTOH departing 14 at night, or turning downwind for 32... best be on the gauges.

Agreed... but it sounds as if takeoff on 32 would be over land... and a quick look at the sectional confirms this.

OTOH departing 14 at night, or turning downwind for 32... best be on the gauges.

You're right, 32 is over land, but fairly featureless, unlit land.

KOXB can be a challenge at night unless you're prepared, that's all.

Back