NIGHT xc question

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
CFI is saying night xc has to include one leg of at least 50nm. I'm saying the req for nite xc is TOTAL of at least 100nm. Comparing 61.109 for day and nite xc, DAY req specifies 150nm with one leg at least 50nm, where nite simply says 100nm total distance. what say you?

Last edited:
Simplify it for both of you... Do this route: 8A6>KHBI>KSVH>8A6.

The leg from Asheboro to Statesville is 52nm; total is just shy of 135nm; you get a few more minutes of experience; routing is simpler.

KISS and make happy.

Last edited:
What is the definition of a cross country flight for rating other than ATP?

:yeahthat: What Eman is referencing is 61.109(a)(2)(i) where it mentions is "one cross country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance".

But an XC flight still needs to exceed 50nm to count as XC.

Simplify it for both of you... Do this route: 8A6>KHBI>KSVH>8A6.

The leg from Asheboro to Statesville is 52nm; total is just shy of 135nm; you get a few more minutes of experience; routing is simpler.

KISS and make happy.

understood....as a side note, the reason for the extra stop was to simultaneously fulfill the remaining night t/o and landing requirements I have. :) fun, experience AND requirements in one!

:yeahthat: What Eman is referencing is 61.109(a)(2)(i) where it mentions is "one cross country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance".

But an XC flight still needs to exceed 50nm to count as XC.

It needs to land at a point >50nm from the point of origin. It does not need a >50nm leg. It can even have a >50nm leg and still be invalid.

AP1->090->40nm->AP2->270->80nm->AP3->090->40nm->AP1 is not a "Cross Country" flight, even though it has an 80nm leg in it, you were never more than 40nm from the point of origin (yes, I know you can do a "re positioning flight"...)

cross country must be at least 50mi from your starting airport (day or night).

For the solo requirements your long trip (at least 1) must have a total distance of at least 150nm with 3 landings at various points and one leg of at neast 50nm.

Remember the requirements PPSEL are 5hrs cross country solo,
and 10 hrs solo (non- cross country like pattern work, high air work stuff).

The hours come easy in slow planes:D I just did my first solo Xcountry yesterday- 2.1 hrs on the Hobbs: 63mi one way!

thanks y'all! CFI right, student wrong. but at least student is checking up on CFI to make sure!

thanks y'all! CFI right, student wrong. but at least student is checking up on CFI to make sure!

I had a similar regulatory question for my CFI regarding the requirements "What counts for a night landings as a student in training v.s night landings to maintain night currency for carrying passengers?"

Because I am a stubborn type... we made a compromise and landed for a stop and go instead of a touch and on my night dual-cross country.:rolleyes:

.....I just did my first solo Xcountry yesterday- 2.1 hrs on the Hobbs: 63mi one way!

sweet, congrats! tough call for me between the actual solo and the solo XC. solo xc I felt like I might actually be a pilot!

This was previously posted in these boards back in 2008:

Originally Posted by Office of the Chief Counsel, FAA
As noted above (14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)), cross country flight time is defined as time acquired during a flight that includes a point of landing that is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nm from the original point of departure, not the original point of any flight leg. There is no requirement that any specific leg must be 50 nm. Moreover, a cross-sountry flight may include several legs that are less than a straight-line distance of more than 50 nm from the original point of departure. Nevertheless, at least one leg of the cross-country flight, however long by itself, must include a point of landing that is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nm from the original point of departure (i.e. of the flight, not of that particular leg). (all emphasis is mine - ets)

Given the above analysis, the answer is each cross-country flight used to meet the aeronautical experience requirements under 14 CFR 61.1(b)(3) must include one leg that includes a landing that is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nm from the original point of departure.

This response was prepared by Adrianne Wojcik, an Attorney in the Regulations Division of the Office of the Chief Counsel, and has been coordinated with the General Aviation Division of Flight Standards Service.

Back