Night Vision Monocular help.

Vance Breese

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Vance Breese
I am not a night flying enthusiast because I can’t see wires if I need to make an emergency landing.

I fly out of the Santa Maria Public Airport (SMX) that is surrounded by fields with wires and fences.

Most of the roads are bordered by wires.

I am also blind in one eye.

As a flight instructor I need to fly night cross countries with clients in experimental gyroplanes.

Some time ago I went flying at night in an open tandem gyroplane with a night vision monocular and I was amazed at all I could see. On a moonless night I could clearly see wires and fences that I might have missed during the day.

As I recall the owner mentioned something about Gen three and an over $3000 price tag.

I see Walmart and Amazon have night vision monocular equipment in the $100 to $1,300 range.

I looked at a piece of equipment a Medivac Helicopter was using at it was over $5,000.

I recently had a primary student that also flies a Black Hawk Helicopter at night with night vision equipment for the Utah National Guard. He flies low and fast at night with his night vision equipment. Because it is military I suspect it is expensive and hard to get. I asked him if we could borrow the equipment for our night cross country and the answer was no.

I don’t know where to start learning about night vision equipment.

I would be grateful for any input on night vision equipment.

Without proper training and maintenance of the equipment you'll be at a high risk of having an accident. NVG's are not something you can use casually. The **** at Walmart is inadequate for flying. If you're serious call these people. They can sell you the equipment and help get you and the aircraft approved for nvg ops. Remember that even flying pt91 the pilot and aircraft have to approved by FAA to use Nvg. Be prepared for sticker shock. The goggles are cheap compared to getting the approval.

http://www.asu-nvg.com

I flew AH-1s for the USMC and I can tell you that it's doubtful that the goggles you can afford are going to help you see wires any better. Heck, people run into them in broad daylight for that matter. Wires are very hard if not impossible to spot from above even in daylight, they just blend in with ground. What they can help you see are the poles that carry the wires.

It's likely your Guard pilot flew his Blackhawk on pre-inspected and NVG approved routes that are laid out and pre surveyed to avoid potential hazards.

Yes he did Art.
I found the monocular I tried worked well for what I wanted.
I could see wires and fences well enough to plan an emergency landing from 500 feet AGL.

Yes he did Art.
I found the monocular I tried worked well for what I wanted.
I could see wires and fences well enough to plan an emergency landing from 500 feet AGL.

Then I would suggest you plan a couple practice auto rotations while using it to an unlit airfield. You don't want to be experimenting for the first time during an actual emergency.

Remember that even flying pt91 the pilot and aircraft have to approved by FAA to use Nvg. Be prepared for sticker shock. The goggles are cheap compared to getting the approval.

What I could find in the FARs didn't seem that limiting or difficult to follow, especially since Vance (the OP) flies an experimental aircraft. What am I missing?

FAR 91.205(h) said:
(h) Night vision goggle operations. For night vision goggle operations, the following instruments and equipment must be installed in the aircraft, functioning in a normal manner, and approved for use by the FAA:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section, instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (c) of this section;

(2) Night vision goggles;

(3) Interior and exterior aircraft lighting system required for night vision goggle operations;

(4) Two-way radio communications system;

(5) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon);

(6) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity for the required instruments and equipment; and

(7) Radar altimeter.

FAR 61.57 said:
(f) Night vision goggle operating experience.

• (1) A person may act as pilot in command in a night vision goggle operation with passengers on board only if, within 2 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performs and logs the following tasks as the sole manipulator of the controls on a flight during a night vision goggle operation--

• (i) Three takeoffs and three landings, with each takeoff and landing including a climbout, cruise, descent, and approach phase of flight (only required if the pilot wants to use night vision goggles during the takeoff and landing phases of the flight).

(ii) Three hovering tasks (only required if the pilot wants to use night vision goggles when operating helicopters or powered-lifts during the hovering phase of flight).

(iii) Three area departure and area arrival tasks.

(iv) Three tasks of transitioning from aided night flight (aided night flight means that the pilot uses night vision goggles to maintain visual surface reference) to unaided night flight (unaided night flight means that the pilot does not use night vision goggles) and back to aided night flight.

(v) Three night vision goggle operations, or when operating helicopters or powered-lifts, six night vision goggle operations.

(2) A person may act as pilot in command using night vision goggles only if, within the 4 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performs and logs the tasks listed in paragraph (f)(1)(i) through (v) of this section as the sole manipulator of the controls during a night vision goggle operation.

(g) Night vision goggle proficiency check. A person must either meet the night vision goggle experience requirements of paragraphs (f)(1) or (f)(2) of this section or pass a night vision goggle proficiency check to act as pilot in command using night vision goggles. The proficiency check must be performed in the category of aircraft that is appropriate to the night vision goggleoperation for which the person is seeking the night vision goggle privilege or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of that category of aircraft. The check must consist of the tasks listed in Sec. 61.31(k), and the check must be performed by:

• (1) An Examiner who is qualified to perform night vision goggle operations in that same aircraft category and class;
    (2) A person who is authorized by the U.S. Armed Forces to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks, provided the person being administered the check is also a member of the U.S. Armed Forces;

(3) A company check pilot who is authorized to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks under parts 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter, provided that both the check pilot and the pilot being tested are employees of that operator;

(4) An authorized flight instructor who is qualified to perform night vision goggle operations in that same aircraft category and class;

(5) A person who is qualified as pilot in command for night vision goggle operations in accordance with paragraph (f) of this section; or

(6) A person approved by the FAA to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks.

That being said, in an emergency like an engine-out, wouldn't even rarely used NVG be better than nothing? Might help you aim for a long straight unlit road that could enable a safe landing.

What I could find in the FARs didn't seem that limiting or difficult to follow, especially since Vance (the OP) flies an experimental aircraft. What am I missing?

That being said, in an emergency like an engine-out, wouldn't even rarely used NVG be better than nothing? Might help you aim for a long straight unlit road that could enable a safe landing.

Thank you, that is my thought process with my current level of understanding.
The monoculars I tried were a vast improvement over my unaided night vision.
I could see wires and fences more clearly than during the day.

Thank you, that is my thought process with my current level of understanding.
The monoculars I tried were a vast improvement over my unaided night vision.
I could see wires and fences more clearly than during the day.
To be blunt. Unless there is some magic wand issued to you as the builder of record you can not install nvg system on your ac without the approval of the administrator. You can not read the regs, decide you are in compliance and go fly.

Yes, using nvg without training specific to use in a cockpit could be worse than not having them at all.

Just for reference, I have worked on approval process of two aircraft for nvg operation for part 91 ops and have completed the FAA required pilot training. Moved on from that company before I accrued much aided flight time. Only have ~5 hours outside of the training hops. Never dinked with an experimental nvg program.

Im curious OP when people give you incorrect information that happens to align with your personal opinion, do you always thank them??

Regardless of whether or not you think I'm full of **** I implore you to contact someone that can answer your questions with legitimacy.

Completely agree with Tarheel.

Vance, I won't go into your operation because with a Walmart monocular device and an experimental, I'm not sure you'd be breaking any reg. For those of us that fly NVGs for a living, the aircraft is STCd for compatible lighting, we use FAA approved (ANVIS-9) NVGs and are required to have initial, currency (HNVGOs) and annual check rides. All of that costs more money than the typical GA pilot can afford. ANVS-9s alone are around 10 grand.

The NVGs make the job of terrain flight (NOE, contour, low level) in the military, doable. They are also a critical piece of equipment in identifying engine out fields, antennas, mountains, clouds, etc. As said above though, if you don't have a properly equipped aircraft and receive appropriate training, you could be operating more dangerously with NVGs than without. You really need to have someone who instructs with that particular set of NVGs and can describe the limitations and techniques of use. I'd also highly recommend using a set designed and tested specifically for aviation.

To be blunt. Unless there is some magic wand issued to you as the builder of record you can not install nvg system on your ac without the approval of the administrator. You can not read the regs, decide you are in compliance and go fly.

Yes, using nvg without training specific to use in a cockpit could be worse than not having them at all.

Just for reference, I have worked on approval process of two aircraft for nvg operation for part 91 ops and have completed the FAA required pilot training. Moved on from that company before I accrued much aided flight time. Only have ~5 hours outside of the training hops. Never dinked with an experimental nvg program.

Im curious OP when people give you incorrect information that happens to align with your personal opinion, do you always thank them??

Regardless of whether or not you think I'm full of **** I implore you to contact someone that can answer your questions with legitimacy.

I thank people for incorrect information too.
I am grateful for the input.
I have a call into the Van Nuys FSDO about the legality of using a night vision monocular.
I would be grateful if you would point me to the FAR that covers night vision devices because I have been unable to find it.

Thank you Velocity173.
I will look into getting specific training.
The monocular I tried worked very well and was pricy.
The only thing I will be using the monocular for is identifying possible engine out landing zones.

Thank you Velocity173.
I will look into getting specific training.
The monocular I tried worked very well and was pricy.
The only thing I will be using the monocular for is identifying possible engine out landing zones.
You need to understand that just because you had a good experience with them once, doesn't mean much for future use. NVGs are very dependent on environmental conditions and their performance will differ night to night. They also affect your night vision. If you are putting it up to your only good eye to survey a landing spot, then go back to naked eye, your night perception will be diminished. What you are doing sounds like it is going to cause more harm than good. It is unlikely that in an emergency you are going to be able to use the NVD decide to improve your circumstances and will most likely be a severe distraction.

I thank people for incorrect information too.
I am grateful for the input.
I have a call into the Van Nuys FSDO about the legality of using a night vision monocular.
I would be grateful if you would point me to the FAR that covers night vision devices because I have been unable to find it.
It's already quoted in this thread. There isn't much in the regs. It is however a can of worms once you start talking to the Feds.

Thank you for the input Cooter.

I have found it difficult to identify a safe off airport landing zone at night.

I have practiced engine out landings at night without airport lighting and it seemed fairly easy so the challenge I am trying to address is seeing wires and fences.

Do you have any suggestions to make night flying safer during the required night cross-country Cooter?

I have practiced engine out landings at night without airport lighting and it seemed fairly easy so the challenge I am trying to address is seeing wires and fences.

Do you have any suggestions to make night flying safer during the required night cross-country Cooter?
As much as possible, plan to fly within gliding range of as many airports as possible and for the areas that don't have many options, use Google earth to survey potential landing sites. You can mark those areas on your charts with notes if you think it would help. Fly as high as you can to increase your options.

There is an inherent risk associated with flying at night. You can mitigate some of the risks but you can't eliminate them. I have hundreds of hours on NVGs and lots of experience with the monocle type. Transitioning back and forth by using the NVD sporadically is an unsafe option, IMO. Your best option is to do as much planning beforehand as possible.

Looking back at your post, I see that you would be the instructor. If you are not the PF, that changes it a little but there are still difficulties. NVDs require compatible cockpit lighting or they will be severely diminished. Even with compatible lighting, they can be difficult at times. For a non-compatible cockpit you would essentially need to turn off the lighting to maximize their use. Over a populated area, seeing wires would be a real challenge except for bright moonlit nights.

You may or may not be right and it sounds like Vance is contacting the appropriate people to get an official answer, however, I thought that is exactly how the experimental category worked. It is my understanding that I can add whatever I want and go fly. I may need to go back and fly a few more hours in phase 1 (no passengers allowed), but I can make whatever change I want and go fly. I can replace steam gauges with glass, I can use experimental gauges that I designed and built myself, etc. Heck, I can even change the wing's airfoil/span/chord/etc.

I hope Vance lets us know how this turns out. I'm curious now.

Thank you Tarheel pilot. I was afraid my search of the FARs was deficient. I am still waiting to hear back from the FSDO.

Thank you Cooter, with a three to one glide ration I don’t have a lot of airport options on a 50 mile cross country near my home airport no matter how high I fly.

I had an engine out and emergency landing on my own night cross country training flight and that may have colored my perspective.

I am on the coast of California and there are hills all around. I will probably fly from Santa Maria to King City and that involves one mountain pass but is mostly flat for the 86 nautical mile flight and follows California 101. I have flown that route a lot during the day and only once at night.

If you're using as an emergency backup for engine failure, I can go along with that. Kinda like an iPad for Instrument approaches as an emergency backup. For normal ops though, you should really use the right tool for the job. I don't agree with a lot of FAA red tape, but the internal lighting requirements, type NVG requirements and the training / currency requirements are spot on. I actually think the currency requirement should be more stringent.

Also, unless you do a lot of off airport landings or XCs, NVGs aren't much value. In the city I actually flip them up because it's just too bright. Unaided flying is easier to detect aircraft from antennas or other background lighting. Be aware also, there are still some antennas out there that have red LEDs that don't show up under NVGs. The FAA is aware and working on the issue.

Thank you Cooter, I fly an open tandem gyroplane and the instruments in the back are not lit and the pilot flying in the front seat blocks the instruments.

My instructor did not wait for the moon to rise so out emergency landing was made in pitch darkness. I found that disquieting despite the successful outcome.

I will plan carefully for the most light on these night cross countries.

In my opinion you are mostly right Skier.

Thank you for your interest.

In my experience I will not get a definitive answer from the FSDO without going to legal.

It appears to me that each FSDO has their own interpretation of the Experimental regulations.

I am in the learning stages now.

I am trying to find out how much I need to spend for a good night vision monocular and what makes it good. I don’t want to pay for features I don’t need.

I will post what I hear back from the FSDO on this thread.

Thank you Velocity173, that is good input.

The flight I am expecting to use for the night cross country is over a lot of empty land with a few cities thrown in.

I have had four engine outs in my 2,000 hours of rotorcraft experience so I suspect experimental aircraft are predisposed to engine failures. All were nonevents and luck played a large part in the happy outcome.

Thank you Velocity173, that is good input.

The flight I am expecting to use for the night cross country is over a lot of empty land with a few cities thrown in.

I have had four engine outs in my 2,000 hours of rotorcraft experience so I suspect experimental aircraft are predisposed to engine failures. All were nonevents and luck played a large part in the happy outcome.

Four engine outs? You need to upgrade to turbines my friend!:eek:

Thank you Cooter, I fly an open tandem gyroplane and the instruments in the back are not lit and the pilot flying in the front seat blocks the instruments.

My instructor did not wait for the moon to rise so out emergency landing was made in pitch darkness. I found that disquieting despite the successful outcome.

I will plan carefully for the most light on these night cross countries.

In my opinion you are mostly right Skier.

Thank you for your interest.

In my experience I will not get a definitive answer from the FSDO without going to legal.

It appears to me that each FSDO has their own interpretation of the Experimental regulations.

I am in the learning stages now.

I am trying to find out how much I need to spend for a good night vision monocular and what makes it good. I don’t want to pay for features I don’t need.

I will post what I hear back from the FSDO on this thread.
I will try to send you a link to a good monocle. I think it's around $3k and it has the best resolution for the ones I've used.

I don't disigree Velocity173.
Subaru EJ25, electrical during primary night training.
Rotax 914 sunk floats on a solo cross country.
Lycoming IO-320 fuel vent issues twice once on a solo cross country and once while training.
None were actual mechanical engine failures.
The systems surrounding the engine were the cause.
A Turbine would be fun but a little pricey for me.

FAR 61.31 K

(k) Additional training required for night vision goggle operations. (1) Except as provided under paragraph (k)(3) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft using night vision goggles only if that person receives and logs ground training from an authorized instructor and obtains a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor who certifies the person completed the ground training. The ground training must include the following subjects:

(i) Applicable portions of this chapter that relate to night vision goggle limitations and flight operations;

(ii) Aeromedical factors related to the use of night vision goggles, including how to protect night vision, how the eyes adapt to night, self-imposed stresses that affect night vision, effects of lighting on night vision, cues used to estimate distance and depth perception at night, and visual illusions;

(iii) Normal, abnormal, and emergency operations of night vision goggle equipment;

(iv) Night vision goggle performance and scene interpretation; and

(v) Night vision goggle operation flight planning, including night terrain interpretation and factors affecting terrain interpretation.

(2) Except as provided under paragraph (k)(3) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft using night vision goggles only if that person receives and logs flight training from an authorized instructor and obtains a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor who found the person proficient in the use of night vision goggles. The flight training must include the following tasks:

(i) Preflight and use of internal and external aircraft lighting systems for night vision goggle operations;

(ii) Preflight preparation of night vision goggles for night vision goggle operations;

(iii) Proper piloting techniques when using night vision goggles during the takeoff, climb, enroute, descent, and landing phases of flight; and

(iv) Normal, abnormal, and emergency flight operations using night vision goggles.

(3) The requirements under paragraphs (k)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply if a person can document satisfactory completion of any of the following pilot proficiency checks using night vision goggles in an aircraft:

(i) A pilot proficiency check on night vision goggle operations conducted by the U.S. Armed Forces.

(ii) A pilot proficiency check on night vision goggle operations under part 135 of this chapter conducted by an Examiner or Check Airman.

(iii) A pilot proficiency check on night vision goggle operations conducted by a night vision goggle manufacturer or authorized instructor, when the pilot—

(A) Is employed by a Federal, State, county, or municipal law enforcement agency; and

(B) Has logged at least 20 hours as pilot in command in night vision goggle operations.

FAR 61.57 f

(f) Night vision goggle operating experience. (1) A person may act as pilot in command in a night vision goggle operation with passengers on board only if, within 2 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performs and logs the following tasks as the sole manipulator of the controls on a flight during a night vision goggle operation—

(i) Three takeoffs and three landings, with each takeoff and landing including a climbout, cruise, descent, and approach phase of flight (only required if the pilot wants to use night vision goggles during the takeoff and landing phases of the flight).

(ii) Three hovering tasks (only required if the pilot wants to use night vision goggles when operating helicopters or powered-lifts during the hovering phase of flight).

(iii) Three area departure and area arrival tasks.

(iv) Three tasks of transitioning from aided night flight (aided night flight means that the pilot uses night vision goggles to maintain visual surface reference) to unaided night flight (unaided night flight means that the pilot does not use night vision goggles) and back to aided night flight.

(v) Three night vision goggle operations, or when operating helicopters or powered-lifts, six night vision goggle operations.

(2) A person may act as pilot in command using night vision goggles only if, within the 4 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performs and logs the tasks listed in paragraph (f)(1)(i) through (v) of this section as the sole manipulator of the controls during a night vision goggle operation.

(g) Night vision goggle proficiency check. A person must either meet the night vision goggle experience requirements of paragraphs (f)(1) or (f)(2) of this section or pass a night vision goggle proficiency check to act as pilot in command using night vision goggles. The proficiency check must be performed in the category of aircraft that is appropriate to the night vision goggle operation for which the person is seeking the night vision goggle privilege or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of that category of aircraft. The check must consist of the tasks listed in §61.31(k), and the check must be performed by:

(1) An Examiner who is qualified to perform night vision goggle operations in that same aircraft category and class;

(2) A person who is authorized by the U.S. Armed Forces to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks, provided the person being administered the check is also a member of the U.S. Armed Forces;

(3) A company check pilot who is authorized to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks under parts 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter, provided that both the check pilot and the pilot being tested are employees of that operator;

(4) An authorized flight instructor who is qualified to perform night vision goggle operations in that same aircraft category and class;

(5) A person who is qualified as pilot in command for night vision goggle operations in accordance with paragraph (f) of this section; or

(6) A person approved by the FAA to perform night vision goggle proficiency checks.

Thank you Doc Holliday. That is helpful.
I talked to the FSDO representative this afternoon and he is going to get back to me Wednesday.
It looks manageable to me at this time.

Back