Night video?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a Canon 930VR and was shooting a tstorm last night thinking I'd get the lightning strokes but nothing showed up, the screen was as black as if the lenscap was on...could hear the audio fine but no vid....is there a setting to permit night shots on such cameras?

I have a Canon 930VR and was shooting a tstorm last night thinking I'd get the lightning strokes but nothing showed up, the screen was as black as if the lenscap was on...could hear the audio fine but no vid....is there a setting to permit night shots on such cameras?

Did you try setting the focus to 'manual' or 'infinity'?

I presume you mean a ZR930...

Here's a thread on a stormwatcher site about how to do this with a camcorder. Chris is right about the Infinity setting; learn how to set it on your camera. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from here. Looks like page 43 has the instructions...

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16784

Be aware that on the Canon camcorders (I have one), you have to make sure Infinity focus mode is set after each time you power on and off the camera--it won't retain that setting.

A tripod will really help, too.

Finally, the infinity focus thing is something you will want to memorize how to set--as you'll want to use that mode when filming out the front plexi of your plane; else the camera will "hunt" to focus on moving clouds, the scratches on the plexi, the back of Hayden's head, etc.

Thanks Troy,
I do have the manual - it is staring back at me from the desk right now. All 300 pages!
Just need some motivation!

Troy is like the universal help desk.

Troy is like the universal help desk.

Yes he is, I can't count the number of times he has helped me including calling me at home to work out a problem. Many others have been great too, yes even you SCC ;)
This instance is a blatant example of "I'm too lazy to read that (huge) manual", I admit!

Yes he is, I can't count the number of times he has helped me including calling me at home to work out a problem. Many others have been great too, yes even you SCC ;)

Difference is, I make stuff up; Troy actually knows!

Back