Night landings at CAK

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
(Really sorry that I don't have pics or video. This was a working flight!)

I've always thought that, while private pilots are taught the basics of night flying during their primary training, if my training was any indication, night proficiency seems to be lacking in many pilots. I had some friends who recently discovered that they needed to fly at night and in each case had to "get night current real quick". I don't begrudge pilots who only want to fly during the day, but flying night VFR is a smooth, beautiful, and sometimes challenging experience that I personally find rewarding as hell (provided no metal is bent!).

Last night I grabbed a pilot friend and decided to finish the 10 full stop landings at a towered airport that are required for the commercial rating. I regret not having pics, but I wanted to relay my experience for critique. For the purpose, I chose CAK - Akron-Canton Airport. This airport is a semi-busy class C, but it is very student friendly as long as you are good on the radio and can follow instructions.

Sunset last night was at 8:45, so Scott and I started our preflight at about 9:15 and started the engine at 9:35, wanting to conduct the entire flight at night. Other than a burnt out taxi light and an inop turn coordinator (not required for this VFR flight but sure would have been nice to have at night), our 180 hp 172N rental seemed eager to fly. She climbed right at Vr and it took some muscle and some trim to keep 'er going at Vy. Fun airplane.

I took the first leg under the hood. Scott is an instrument rated pilot with quite a bit of cross country experience, and CAK was his home airport for a while, so he was a really good choice as a copilot for this trip. Akron approach gave me a practice ILS-5 to start and we were cleared by tower for a stop-and-go. I flew the approach in the donut to minimums (it was QUITE calm) and proceeded to land.

Here's where I expect some conversation.

- It is hard to determine when to flare at night. I'd like to think I got better at it as I executed more landings, but man, it is a struggle. I need some more "fly down the runway" practice. It probably doesn't help that I do not customarily land at airports with runways that wide / long.

- Runways in cities can be hard to see. I mean, of course i knew this already, but it was truly reinforced last night. CAK keeps their lights at low intensity when VMC. Most of the folks landing there are getting sequenced by approach, and the runway is pretty easy to see at night when you're lined up with it. What Scott and I both noticed is that when you're on downwind you can usually see parallel taxi lights and after a few landings we got to where we could pick out two red lights at the approach end of the MALSR array. You can't see the runway or the approach lighting system on downwind at all. I found that much of the time we were turning on faith and really couldn't pick out the runway until we lifted a wing on base.

- Workload can get high at night. I know that this aircraft is neither complex nor high performance. There was no gear, no variable prop, really nothing but the trappings of a basic trainer. CAK tower asked if we wanted to "fly the figure 8" (their two runways are situated 40 degrees apart). I said "ok sounds fun!" It was. I've never done anything like this before. We were taking off on one runway and turning on to a long base for a second runway almost immediately sometimes. We were changing up right pattern and left pattern. I was working my butt off.

- Situational awareness is tough to maintain. At one point they switched runways on us. No big deal, except suddenly our departure runway required that we turn a continuous teardrop on to our next arrival runway (which we flubbed and had to do a 360). I had a yoke mounted iPad mini with Foreflight to which I'd sometimes refer just to make sure we were on the correct downwind for the correct runway, and to verify the direction of the base leg. Throughout the night as we accommodated the various changes I found myself high, low, close, far, and everything in between. Given the difficulty we had spotting the runways, sometimes we'd simply turn base too soon. Not all runways had visual glideslope indicators, so this was excellent practice for the basics of visual approach at night.

Scott took the controls to fly the VOR 27 approach back to 1G5, giving me a short mental break after the CAK landing workout. On the ground we decompressed in the parking lot for a couple hours (and my wife texted me the obligatory "R U DEAD??" at 1:45 AM - we are usually in bed by 10, and I am in the doghouse =/) I think we both learned a lot about flying at night, finding runways, and our capabilities to successfully execute a number of visual approaches. I can understand why the commercial rating requires this sort of practice. 2 hours on the Hobbs and I felt like I just finished a long XC in IMC.

We all need more practice at night!

Last night I grabbed a pilot friend and decided to finish the 10 full stop landings at a towered airport that are required for the commercial rating.

Are you referring to the night operations specified in 14 cfr 61.129(A)(4)(ii) for your commercial? That's a solo requirement.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your observations regarding night flight. I'll also add that me me it's less stressful as the radio is quieter (because things are less congested), it's smoother, and traffic is easier to spot. I thing night flying is a great environment for instrument training, empty airports mean upstream approaches cause less conflict with others, controllers are more flexible, etc.

For all the pretty lights on an airport, they do tend to be quite dark compared to their urban surroundings. Backing up a visual approach with an instrument approach is a good idea at night (as SWA discovered recently in Branson).

Night landings come with practice. Do more of them and they will be easier.

A burnt out taxi light is your only lighted backup to your landing light. Fix it before taking off at night.

Also, practice no landing light landings. And practice no electrical landings, meaning no landing light or flaps.

I just got the Seaplane Pilots's Associations magazine Water Flyer in the mail yesterday. There there was a tale of a young pilot doing his PPL ASES. As you know, there are nighttime requirements for issuance of PPL. So they did them all in the seaplane at night. Seattle Seaplanes had an instructor that was experienced with it. Now, even the most senior or hardened seaplane pilot will tell you that's almost unheard of - seaplane landings at night is a no go zone except in perhaps one or two places where the waterbody is lit (Lake Hood is, I think).

But how would you otherwise comply with the regs?

Last edited:
Are you referring to the night operations specified in 14 cfr 61.129(A)(4)(ii) for your commercial? That's a solo requirement.

Well then I will do them again :). That wasn't the point of the flight in ant event.

Thanks for your comments. I didn't consider that bit about the taxi light but you're spot on.

Last edited:
(Really sorry that I don't have pics or video. This was a working flight!)

I've always thought that, while private pilots are taught the basics of night flying during their primary training, if my training was any indication, night proficiency seems to be lacking in many pilots. I had some friends who recently discovered that they needed to fly at night and in each case had to "get night current real quick". I don't begrudge pilots who only want to fly during the day, but flying night VFR is a smooth, beautiful, and sometimes challenging experience that I personally find rewarding as hell (provided no metal is bent!).

Last night I grabbed a pilot friend and decided to finish the 10 full stop landings at a towered airport that are required for the commercial rating. I regret not having pics, but I wanted to relay my experience for critique. For the purpose, I chose CAK - Akron-Canton Airport. This airport is a semi-busy class C, but it is very student friendly as long as you are good on the radio and can follow instructions.

Sunset last night was at 8:45, so Scott and I started our preflight at about 9:15 and started the engine at 9:35, wanting to conduct the entire flight at night. Other than a burnt out taxi light and an inop turn coordinator (not required for this VFR flight but sure would have been nice to have at night), our 180 hp 172N rental seemed eager to fly. She climbed right at Vr and it took some muscle and some trim to keep 'er going at Vy. Fun airplane.

I took the first leg under the hood. Scott is an instrument rated pilot with quite a bit of cross country experience, and CAK was his home airport for a while, so he was a really good choice as a copilot for this trip. Akron approach gave me a practice ILS-5 to start and we were cleared by tower for a stop-and-go. I flew the approach in the donut to minimums (it was QUITE calm) and proceeded to land.

Here's where I expect some conversation.

- It is hard to determine when to flare at night. I'd like to think I got better at it as I executed more landings, but man, it is a struggle. I need some more "fly down the runway" practice. It probably doesn't help that I do not customarily land at airports with runways that wide / long.

- Runways in cities can be hard to see. I mean, of course i knew this already, but it was truly reinforced last night. CAK keeps their lights at low intensity when VMC. Most of the folks landing there are getting sequenced by approach, and the runway is pretty easy to see at night when you're lined up with it. What Scott and I both noticed is that when you're on downwind you can usually see parallel taxi lights and after a few landings we got to where we could pick out two red lights at the approach end of the MALSR array. You can't see the runway or the approach lighting system on downwind at all. I found that much of the time we were turning on faith and really couldn't pick out the runway until we lifted a wing on base.

- Workload can get high at night. I know that this aircraft is neither complex nor high performance. There was no gear, no variable prop, really nothing but the trappings of a basic trainer. CAK tower asked if we wanted to "fly the figure 8" (their two runways are situated 40 degrees apart). I said "ok sounds fun!" It was. I've never done anything like this before. We were taking off on one runway and turning on to a long base for a second runway almost immediately sometimes. We were changing up right pattern and left pattern. I was working my butt off.

- Situational awareness is tough to maintain. At one point they switched runways on us. No big deal, except suddenly our departure runway required that we turn a continuous teardrop on to our next arrival runway (which we flubbed and had to do a 360). I had a yoke mounted iPad mini with Foreflight to which I'd sometimes refer just to make sure we were on the correct downwind for the correct runway, and to verify the direction of the base leg. Throughout the night as we accommodated the various changes I found myself high, low, close, far, and everything in between. Given the difficulty we had spotting the runways, sometimes we'd simply turn base too soon. Not all runways had visual glideslope indicators, so this was excellent practice for the basics of visual approach at night.

Scott took the controls to fly the VOR 27 approach back to 1G5, giving me a short mental break after the CAK landing workout. On the ground we decompressed in the parking lot for a couple hours (and my wife texted me the obligatory "R U DEAD??" at 1:45 AM - we are usually in bed by 10, and I am in the doghouse =/) I think we both learned a lot about flying at night, finding runways, and our capabilities to successfully execute a number of visual approaches. I can understand why the commercial rating requires this sort of practice. 2 hours on the Hobbs and I felt like I just finished a long XC in IMC.

We all need more practice at night!

Knowing when to flare at night is not difficult if you use proper technique. Light pollution makes it difficult to see runways and airport beacons. Yes, the keep the light intensity low so you can see. Transitioning from the low light levels of flight to bright runway lights is blinding. Work load is not higher at night. Situational awareness is more demanding and you may be interpeting that as work load.

Knowing when to flare at night is not difficult if you use proper technique. Light pollution makes it difficult to see runways and airport beacons. Yes, the keep the light intensity low so you can see. Transitioning from the low light levels of flight to bright runway lights is blinding. Work load is not higher at night. Situational awareness is more demanding and you may be interpeting that as work load.

Actually the workload was more situational. The figure 8 patterns to different runways were resulting in compression of a standard pattern. You're right that it had nothing to do with night.

Back