NIGHT LANDING AT OSHKOSH TUESDAY AT 9PM!!!???

pburger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul B.
On Tuesday, July 25, around 9 pm I saw a plane land on runway 9. I was camping in row 566 by the Hilton, so I had a pretty good view. I saw the plane on downwind, and was wondering what it was doing. It then descended and landed. It exited left (north) and taxied to a hangar on the north side (Weeks Hangar, maybe?). This was my 13th trip to Oshkosh. This is the first time I've ever seen a plane land at night. At first I thought somebody was going to get into some serious trouble (lifetime ban, etc.), then I realized it must be a VIP. This brings up some questions:

1. Who was it?
  2. Was this operation approved?
  3. Has this happened before?
  4. Were any safety measures in place (i.e. - ground crew, etc.)
  5. I'm running late, can I land at 9pm, just this once?

On Tuesday, July 25, around 9 pm I saw a plane land on runway 9. I was camping in row 566 by the Hilton, so I had a pretty good view. I saw the plane on downwind, and was wondering what it was doing. It then descended and landed. It exited left (north) and taxied to a hangar on the north side (Weeks Hangar, maybe?). This was my 13th trip to Oshkosh. This is the first time I've ever seen a plane land at night. At first I thought somebody was going to get into some serious trouble (lifetime ban, etc.), then I realized it must be a VIP. This brings up some questions:

1. Who was it?
  2. Was this operation approved?
  3. Has this happened before?
  4. Were any safety measures in place (i.e. - ground crew, etc.)
  5. I'm running late, can I land at 9pm, just this once?
Do they close the airport at night?

Do they close the airport at night?
Yes. Here is a quote from the Notice: "Engine operation and taxiing are prohibited when the airport is closed. (during airshows and overnight: 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM CDT)."

That's why it was so surprising to me.

Definitely a photo mission, he departed and flew multiple circles over the grounds before coming back for landing. This is him on downwind.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 6.45.48 PM.png

The plane is owned by a skydiving club from Milwaukee. They flew at 4000 AGL. Seems kind of high for a photo mission. Maybe practice for the night air show? Did they have skydivers for the night show?
Whatever it was I'm sure it was sanctioned.

1690746473227.png

Now that you mention it there were some skydivers over the fun fly zone at least one of the nights.

Now that you mention it there were some skydivers over the fun fly zone at least one of the nights.
Which, I believe was Tuesday. The Misty Blues all women skydiving team doing a night drop with four jumpers. After the stol demo and paramotors, and before the rc stuff.

Back